Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I am new to this, but since I have a MBA, drive space is a concern.

I'm curious to back up my core system (about 20gb) to the cloud instead of a Time Capsule. I have a free dropbox account, I have looked at Mozy and iDrive.

Anyone do this? Would Time Machine make a local backup and then sync it?

I obviously don't want it back up to the main drive..

Point me in the right direction?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you want to be able to restore your system using Time Machine after the HD has been replaced (or other issues), you will need a proper Time Machine backup.

Some place in the cloud is good for a second backup away from your house. It will be somewhat slow to back up to and restore from.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Yes, it would only be for hard drive failure.

I guess I'll just keep in on an external.....I'm dreaming of a world without local storage :D

Arne

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Germany
check out dollydrive. as mentioned earlier, this will probably be very slow (depending on the amount of data you back up and the upload bandwidth of your internet connection).
I don't use it myself

chemistry76

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
I use Backblaze. $5 a month for unlimited storage backup. If you have a catastrophic failure you can either download your data for free, or pay them some $$ and they will mail you a USB thumb or HDD with your data on it.

I like having my data in 3 places. My local machine, my Time Capsule backup, and Backblaze. So if I have a total loss tragedy, my irreplaceable data (pictures, home videos of my daughter, etc.) are safe.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I use Backblaze. $5 a month for unlimited storage backup. If you have a catastrophic failure you can either download your data for free, or pay them some $$ and they will mail you a USB thumb or HDD with your data on it.

I like having my data in 3 places. My local machine, my Time Capsule backup, and Backblaze. So if I have a total loss tragedy, my irreplaceable data (pictures, home videos of my daughter, etc.) are safe.

I also use backblaze, and i also have a free dropbox with some stuff i want to keep synched between the iMac, Air, and a Windows VMWare image.

Ben S

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Crashplan does my offsite and Time Machine does my boot disk. I sleep very well at night.

Crashplan by itself won't do a system-level restore, though. You need local storage for that if you want to be able to boot off it, Time Machine to a local disk is really your only option. OTOH, with the 2011+ machines' ability to install the OS over the air from Apple, it's conceivable you could do an OS restore OTA and then use Crashplan or another cloud backup solution to pull your user data down without any local disk at all.

If you have a Time Capsule or Air Port Extreme you can avoid actually having to physically wire your MBA to your backup drive... but that's still only an on-premises backup so it's not perfect. You need both on-prem and off-site to be completely covered.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I would love a cloud time machine backup.
Yes, there's Dolly Drive, but it works horrendously bad, as in their software is poorly designed and crashes often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.