Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
It is pretty interesting. I am still waiting for Jawbone to fix the problems with the Up and re-release it. If they take too long I might go with the Fuelband. Tough I would love it it had the alarm features of the UP.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
The fuel band looks pretty cool, but a bit pricey for what amounts to a pedometer (and a poor functioning one at that). The FitBit seems like a more functional device and is $50 cheaper.

Those fuel bands are listed on Ebay for like $400. WTF?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It is pretty interesting. I am still waiting for Jawbone to fix the problems with the Up and re-release it. If they take too long I might go with the Fuelband. Tough I would love it it had the alarm features of the UP.

I don't think they will release the same one. After the FuelBand, Jawbone has some catching up to do.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I don't think they will release the same one. After the FuelBand, Jawbone has some catching up to do.

Probably, although Jawbone's CEO posted a message stating that the problem was caused by some capacitors they are supposed to be replacing on existing up bands. But is has been months since he posted that.

The interesting feature of the UP that is missing in the Fuelband is the sleep cycle wake-up alarm and inactivity alarms. If the Nike had those alarms it would be the best choice for me.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Mine came in! I'll post some thoughts on it in a few days when I've put it through some use. Let me know if you have any questions.

UMGIw.jpg

j4mbo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I was lucky enough to get my fuel band a few weeks ago through a contact at Nike (I was the third person in the UK with one :)

I am really enjoying it when it works, but the bluetooth with my phone has been spotty to say the least. When I googled the problem I discovered the 4S seems to have notoriously bad bluetooth. Having never used a headset or had any need for bluetooth i didn't know about this.

Has anyone else had any problems with their fuelband syncing or even bluetooth in general?

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
I was lucky enough to get my fuel band a few weeks ago through a contact at Nike (I was the third person in the UK with one :)

I am really enjoying it when it works, but the bluetooth with my phone has been spotty to say the least. When I googled the problem I discovered the 4S seems to have notoriously bad bluetooth. Having never used a headset or had any need for bluetooth i didn't know about this.

Has anyone else had any problems with their fuelband syncing or even bluetooth in general?

How accurate do you find the calorie count to be? I work at a grocery store, and during a 4 hour shift on a checkstand yesterday, the FuelBand said I burned about 800 calories. What do you think, seems a bit high?

j4mbo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
wow yeah that seems really hi. Are you sure you have it tight fitting? You want it to be snug to your wrist and not jangling around

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
wow yeah that seems really hi. Are you sure you have it tight fitting? You want it to be snug to your wrist and not jangling around

+1 on the loose fitting causing inaccuracy... I’ve had a medium on and its pretty loose and have found that the steps/calories may be off because of how loose the band is (drops down about 1.5" when i left my arm vertically). I ordered a small so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Anyone have one they want to sell? I'm looking for a medium...

mercury66

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Houston, TX
My bluetooth sync to iPhone app stopped working. I called Nike Support and they said a new firmware update will be issued shortly to fix this.

MS

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I received my FuelBand today and for those of you with the FuelBand, do you have a fine line on the either side of the button ? I'm wondering if mine is cracked or that line is suppose to be there. any info would be great.

Thanks

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I received my FuelBand today and for those of you with the FuelBand, do you have a fine line on the either side of the button ? I'm wondering if mine is cracked or that line is suppose to be there. any info would be great.

Thanks

None near the main button. Thats a bummer if there are indeed cracks. Make sure you call Nike Support 800-379-6453 ASAP about it.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
None near the main button. Thats a bummer if there are indeed cracks. Make sure you call Nike Support 800-379-6453 ASAP about it.

Thanks for your prompt response. I did call that number and their very helpful CS Rep setup a advanced replacement.

I will be getting a replacement one here in couple of days.

Thanks again.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Got my fuelband in yesterday and that app works perfectly with it. The accuracy is spot on. A little overview for ya:

The main screen shows how much fuel you have gained and how close you are to your goal (mine is set at 2000). Also shown on the main screen are calories burned, steps taken and distance walked.

The next screen over shows a graph of activity of the day. You can switch to see daily, weekly, monthly or yearly graphs of activity.

The third and final screen shows total nikefuel since day 1, your best day, best week and best month.

Ive only synced the app to the band a couple of times as the same information on the 1st screen (calories, fuel, steps and distance) are all on the band itself. I can see the app being more useful over time to see previous activity. There are also ways you can post your achievements and data to facebook and twitter but I wont be doing that.

Let me know if you have any other questions on the band or app.

What exactly is "fuel"? Is it how many calories you burned? I am looking for something that will keep track of my calories burned when I am dancing or at the gym.

iAppl3

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Yes it tracks calories burned. The fuel is some proprietary method Nike uses to calculate how active you've been.

DocGo

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Toronto
Got it a couple of days ago. So far so good. My wrist is tiny so even with the small band, I had to remove one more link to make it fit better.

hussamoueini

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Problems with bluetooth pairing

I'm also trying to pair the FuelBand to my 4S but with no luck. I've tried resetting both the band and the iPhone with no luck. Tried pairing with an iPhone 4 as well... Nothing. The fuelband will simply not show up on the list of devices even though my 4S pairs normally with a Nokia BT headset.
Any ideas?

iAppl3

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
When you push and hold the button on the fuel band to make it flash, release and hit the button once more to enter to pairing mode. Mine didn't show up until I followed that last step. Works fine on mine.

stickboy2k

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
When you push and hold the button on the fuel band to make it flash, release and hit the button once more to enter to pairing mode. Mine didn't show up until I followed that last step. Works fine on mine.

We have been having a lot of problems with my wife's Fuelband. Not pairing, not connecting, etc.

I think it needs that firmware update, so I wont call it quits yet, but it has been somewhat frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.