Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
While I was reinstalling all those CS5.5 Master Colelction, FCP, Motion 5, iWork, iLife, etc, I could tell that this Mac Mini is a pure beast! I was expecting it to take about two to three hours to complete, which was common on my MBP 2009, but it only took 30 min total!

how did you transfer all the stuff from you're Macbook to the mini? I have read all the "how to's" on this forum and other sites but just curious as to how you did it.

seong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
how did you transfer all the stuff from you're Macbook to the mini? I have read all the "how to's" on this forum and other sites but just curious as to how you did it.

Well, I didn't. I did not transfer any data. Since I knew that restoring from my backup would slow things down, I decided to do a fresh install instead. Also, I have all of the necessary files backed up on my time machine HDD, so whenever I need to access some info, I can just get the file from the external HDD.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I recently bought mine with just the SSD. Then upgraded the memory myself to 16 GB and the Apple display. Very happy with the Mac Mini and using external storage for media.

I didn't get the 2nd internal drive for heat reasons.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Well, I didn't. I did not transfer any data. Since I knew that restoring from my backup would slow things down, I decided to do a fresh install instead. Also, I have all of the necessary files backed up on my time machine HDD, so whenever I need to access some info, I can just get the file from the external HDD.

cool, that was my plan as well. I am just looking for a way to transfer the photoshop, office and some other apps. I was thinking the time machine route as well.

seong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
cool, that was my plan as well. I am just looking for a way to transfer the photoshop, office and some other apps. I was thinking the time machine route as well.

Time machine is the easiest of all :D

----------

I recently bought mine with just the SSD. Then upgraded the memory myself to 16 GB and the Apple display. Very happy with the Mac Mini and using external storage for media.

I didn't get the 2nd internal drive for heat reasons.

That's gonna cost a lot! I mean, the majority of the people buy Mac minis because they are cheap and easily upgradable, right?

webcity

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I've been using a 2011 Mac Mini with the AMD/ATI 6630 and I cannot believe how fast it is. Mine was ordered with the 750GB 7200RPM drive which turned out to be a WD Scorpio Black and it's a beast of a machine.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
That's gonna cost a lot! I mean, the majority of the people buy Mac minis because they are cheap and easily upgradable, right?

I almost just got the base model one but I ended up getting the 2.7 i7 model and an OWC mercury pro 6g 240gb ssd, and 8gb of ram. I've never needed more than that. But as far as the ssd, In my MBP, i have dual 120gb ones and only did that because they did not cost that much and wanted the extra storage. So I figured I'd do it right this time and just get one ssd :D

I can't wait to see mine in action.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I almost just got the base model one but I ended up getting the 2.7 i7 model and an OWC mercury pro 6g 240gb ssd, and 8gb of ram. I've never needed more than that. But as far as the ssd, In my MBP, i have dual 120gb ones and only did that because they did not cost that much and wanted the extra storage. So I figured I'd do it right this time and just get one ssd :D

I can't wait to see mine in action.

You are going to be very happy with the performance. My HTPC is a 2011 Mac mini 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 with AMD 6630M. When I did the BTO, I also ordered 8GB 1866MHz Kingston Hyper X PnP memory, 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS and 750GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black from Newegg.com. I test booted the 2011 Mac mini, shutdown, then installed the new parts. This machine is amazing for its size. By far the most used computer I've ever own, granted its in bootcamp. This machine is capable of recording 6 HD CableCARD streams and playing back two all simultaneously. Its also the central media hub for the household. Thanks to the Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex 2.5" adapter I have compact expandable storage to hold a Handbrake encoded Bluray library :D

Amazing!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.