Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Last night I was charging my phone and something strange happened.

About 9 pm I plug it in at 11% battery. Around midnight it looks like I got a text, and the screen lit up and I ignored it. A few minutes later it happens again anda I go over there to turn my phone upside down so it won't wake me up. I see the scariest thing, it is on the shutdown screen, the spinning wheel, but it's frozen.

It would freeze for a few seconds and then would continue to spin and then show the lock screen like it just rebooted.... For about 2 seconds and it would go back to spinny gear. In a panic I did a google search and only got results really about faulty batteries, so I plugged it back into the wall (I unplugged it when I saw it kept freezing and spinning).

It vibrated to show it was charging, eventually got to the homescreen and then it went back to the freezing spinny wheel. It would get stuck, then about halfway through it would vibrate again to show it was charging.

I really hope it isn't something serious, I don't have photo stream enabled and I am on vacation now. Just brought my phone and iPad, and I backup to my pc over 500 miles away.

I did let it continue that cycle for 7 hours. Held down power for over a minute and nothing, and didn't do anything. And didn't want to go to dfu restore mode because my pc is at home and don't want to be stuck for 10 more days with my primary device stuck in restore mode.

I am letting it charge this morning, hopefully it will not go through the power cycle again when it reaches enough battery for me to use it, and I'll make sure to enables photo stream if I can.

Does anyone have any clue why it would freak out like that? My phone is a launch model iPhone 4 AT&T and now out of warranty.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Interesting. Found a thermal sensor issue and it caused springboard to keep on crashing. Works just fine today, very weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.