Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Has anyone successfully changed their IMEI number using ZiPhone application?

I could see this being useful and could you change it back to the original number?

Reactions: xza

munroe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ireland
I'd be curious to know (sorry if these are dumb questions):
1. Why would you want to change your IMEI?
2. How do you choose a new IMEI (the actual number - not method to change)?
3. What happens if you choose one that's already been allocated to another phone? What if that phone is in use?

Reactions: xza

adamsweeting

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Changing IMEI is only useful if the IMEI has been barred (i.e. phone stolen)
I doubt you'd be able to make up your own unique IMEI, most people I know who've changed IMEI have used the IMEI from an old phone that is no longer used.
Whilst I don't actually know for sure what happens if there are 2 of the same IMEI's in operation, I doubt it would be a good thing!

munroe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ireland
Changing IMEI is only useful if the IMEI has been barred (i.e. phone stolen)
I doubt you'd be able to make up your own unique IMEI, most people I know who've changed IMEI have used the IMEI from an old phone that is no longer used.
Whilst I don't actually know for sure what happens if there are 2 of the same IMEI's in operation, I doubt it would be a good thing!

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the last one, I vaguely remember reading about people who spoofed these numbers in the US (non-GSM networks - so maybe this doesn't apply) and you could make calls from either phone using the same account, but you never knew which one would recieve the incoming call.

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
Changing a phones IMEI number in the UK (at least) is illegal. AIUI The Ziphone utility only software changes the IMEI number as it is presented by the phone to the network, the iphones actual IMEI is OTP into the phone and is unchangable except by replacing the relevant eeprom chip.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Changing a phones IMEI number in the UK (at least) is illegal. AIUI The Ziphone utility only software changes the IMEI number as it is presented by the phone to the network, the iphones actual IMEI is OTP into the phone and is unchangable except by replacing the relevant eeprom chip.

Thanks. That helps. I'm in the US and if for some odd reason, AT&T + Apple get some sort of court order to force the other GSM carriers to block the IMEI of iPhones not on AT&T network, then the rest of us would have problems. The probability of this happening is almost nil, but it does exist. In this instance a S/W change of the IMEI number to another phone that you own would be handy as it would be reported back to the network.

alpleon

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
EMEI change

I bouth my iPhone, but to use it, I have to change the EMEI number. Here in my country the IMEI has to be registert to be able to use the Phone. The iPhone can't be registert because they are not in the shops in the country. So I have to change it to broken one EMEI, not used anymore.
My iphone 1,1 has 1.1.3 and 04.03.13_G Modem Firmware. I have Ziphone 2.3 and 2.4 but if I try to change the IMEI it deletes IMEI and ICCID number. The command is ziphone [-i xxxxxxxxx....]. Does anybody know how to do it? Thanks for any reply in advance! :)

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Well whether it actually changes the IMEI directly or merely interferes with its intended operation is irrelevent in the eyes of UK Law - it is an offence either way...

Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002

1 Re-programming mobile telephone etc.

(1) A person commits an offence if—

(a) he changes a unique device identifier, or
(b) he interferes with the operation of a unique device identifier
Also worth bearing in mind is this part of the same act...

2 Possession or supply of anything for re-programming purposes

(1) A person commits an offence if—

(a) he has in his custody or under his control anything which may be used for the purpose of changing or interfering with the operation of a unique device identifier, and
(b) he intends to use the thing unlawfully for that purpose or to allow it to be used unlawfully for that purpose.
Which suggest using ziphone for non-IMEI changing should be ok - as long as you never intend (and can reasonably demonstrate as such) to use the IMEI changing functionality, though it is probably safer to use a jailbreak tool that doesn't have IMEI changing functionality at all.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
In the UK and europe there is a 'blacklist' of stolen IMEI numbers that are barred from the network. Changing the IMEI is one way to use one of those stolen phones again.

Here in North America, there is no such blacklist. A stolen GSM phone can easily be used by anyone.

The purpose of the IMEI changing utility in Ziphone is to allow people whos providers offer special data plans tied to specific model phones to change their iPhone IMEI to allow them access to said plan.

sct73

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
change imei number on 3gs

Is it possible to change the IMEI number on a 3GS iphone using the ZiPhone software?

Carthag

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
Welp my iPhone was just stolen so this topic at least gives me solace in a way. Now as long as I can convince the coppers to put a tail on it next time it comes online.

darien888

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Change IMEI number to Avoid AT&T Greed

The reason I want to change the IMEI of my phone is to avoid AT&T arbitrary rule that "if the phone I am using is a smartphone, then we will sign you up for a data plan automatically". I bought a pay an AT&T Avail Go Phone in Walmart for $130+$10 tax. And I put in my AT&T non-contract SIM card. All was good, I was accessing internet using my WiFi at home, then I receive a text message saying: "did you know a data plan is required fro your Smartphone? We have added an appropriate data plan". I never used their data, I only used the phone and my own WIFI. Calling them didn't help.

Here is how it works. When you put your SIM and turn on the phone, then look up the IMEI number if the number belongs to a Smartphone they sign you up for a data plan. Never mind, I never asked for one or wanted one. I am highly aggravated that those rats force such crap down my throat. They only removed the stupid plan, once I put the SIM card back on my old Razr phone. I paid full price for that phone, it is MY phone not them and they shouldn't be able to tell me how to use it.

I see 3 ways: 1. (preferred) Change IMEI to a non-smartphone and show them my middle finger. 2. Unlock the phone and move to T-Mobile and give them the middle finger (but I don't prefer Tmobile because I am in a family plan to help my sister pay her bills). 3. Return the idiotic phone to Walmart and be defeated by corporate greed and stupidity (make no mistake that idiotic rule was made consciously to screw people and maximize profits).

What will it be... only time will tell. There is no way I will pay those sneaky Bs! to encourage them to find other ways to screw me and everybody up.

Enough said. I wish I could find more about changing the IMEI number without so much assumption that everybody is trying to use a stolen phone. There are very good legal and justified reasons why you might want to change your IMEI.

D.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
I'm not sure what the law is in the U.S but i want to change my IMEI of my iphone 4 5.01 baseband 1.59 to a non-smartphone IMEI becuz i got a gophone plan unlimited $50 and cant use the net.... i dont use the net on the go that much but it could come in handy soemtimes.....

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
As far as I know there is no tool/program that would change an iphone's imei.
There was many years ago an option for the iphone 2G only but that wont work with any other model.

This ^^

----------

I'm not sure what the law is in the U.S but i want to change my IMEI of my iphone 4 5.01 baseband 1.59 to a non-smartphone IMEI becuz i got a gophone plan unlimited $50 and cant use the net.... i dont use the net on the go that much but it could come in handy soemtimes.....

I have read doing so in US is illegal.
Probably under telecommunications fraud statues

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
On the other hand I guess we should reward him for searching.. (Good Boy)
Searching is only half of what's needed. The person also has to actually READ the threads they find. darlen888 - the proper choice is your Option 3, although it's not AT&T who is stupid and idiotic.

darien888

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Returned Phone searching for Phone that I can to fake IMEI now

Correct. Option 3 it was, it was simpler, and now I am free to find a phone that I can fake the IMEI easily. The reason for #3, I have a job now and not enough time to hack around like in the old days. Let's ATT suck up their open phone and sell it so some other poor sap at a discount. Funny though, next to me was a guy returning a phone exactly for the same reason (forcibly and without permission being signed up for an ATT data plan). I think they have a lot of that, except for the lambs like TC25 who seems to think that their forcing people to plans they don't want or ask for, is nice of them.

Anyway, little update. After removing my SIM from the phone, I put an old one that I used to have many years ago. After the phone said: "SIM not provisioned MM #2", which I think means no cell service. The phone still accessed my WiFi and I could navigate the internet. Which demonstrates that I am NOT using any AT&T services when I only use WiFi and that their practice of automatically signing you up for a data plan and total BS. I was tempted to retain the device as a mini-tablet, but I actually need a phone... so:

Now I am interested in finding a phone that I can easily fake the IMEI number. That's why I returned the phone, now I can actually buy any model that will be easier to fake IMEI. I leared about Ziphone for old iphones, which is probably more than what I need anyway, also FAKE APN. Although I read that that application seem to have stopped working. We'll see what I can find.

By the way, Faking an IMEI is illegal in UK, but it is perfectly legal in the US. Google around. There is nothing illegal per se on changing an IMEI. Some shady people do it for bad reasons, but nothing is wrong is you are not attempting anything illegal, but solely asserting your rights to use YOUR devices the way you want, NOT the way some jerk at the corporate levels of AT&T decided that you can. It is a matter of decency and freedom. Unfortunately some people think that non-conformity to powerful corporations is somehow wrong. It is an old theme. In Uncle's Tom Cabin there is a passage to the effect (I am quoting loosely by memory). "... for thus we come in to the world, if we are not willing to get in trouble for a just cause, then we are not worthy of a name..."

Screw AT&T, I will drop their service soon.

D

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Pay as you go doesn't require a data plan. Contracted plans on at&t, verizon, sprint etc. do. Get your information right people. :rolleyes:

thegiff27

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Anyway, little update. After removing my SIM from the phone, I put an old one that I used to have many years ago. After the phone said: "SIM not provisioned MM #2", which I think means no cell service. The phone still accessed my WiFi and I could navigate the internet. Which demonstrates that I am NOT using any AT&T services when I only use WiFi and that their practice of automatically signing you up for a data plan and total BS. I was tempted to retain the device as a mini-tablet, but I actually need a phone... so:

D

I'm actually trying to do the opposite. I have an old iPhone 3GS with an old SIM that i currently use just for wifi, it's not on a carrier plan. Does anyone know if there is anyway i can use that old SIM to roam on different networks and make calls while still not using a cell plan?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm actually trying to do the opposite. I have an old iPhone 3GS with an old SIM that i currently use just for wifi, it's not on a carrier plan. Does anyone know if there is anyway i can use that old SIM to roam on different networks and make calls while still not using a cell plan?

Let me get what you're asking again.
You have an inactive sim that's not on an active carrier line.
And you want to use that dead sim to roam on different networks, make calls and still not have a cell plan?
So basicly just free calls, maybe texts why not free carrier data too with a deactivated sim?
Really, you thought about this all by yourself?:rolleyes:

thegiff27

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Let me get what you're asking again.
You have an inactive sim that's not on an active carrier line.
And you want to use that dead sim to roam on different networks, make calls and still not have a cell plan?
So basicly just free calls, maybe texts why not free carrier data too with a deactivated sim?
Really, you thought about this all by yourself?:rolleyes:

haha yes thats about right... its an ATT sim, so maybe not roaming capable, but what about just on att's network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.