Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
No. A workaround is to bookmark your home page and put the link at the top of your bookmarks menu, so you can get to it that way.

Drlandess

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Homepage work-around for iPhone Safari

1. Open Safari and navigate to the desired homepage.
2. Press + sign and select "add to homepage". This places an icon for the web page into your iPhone homepage. Close Safari by pressing iPhone home key.
3. Press and hold the iPod icon in the dock until the icons start to jiggle.
4. Drag the Safari icon out of the dock.
5. Drag your new Safari homepage icon into the dock.
6. Press the iPhone home key.

You are done!

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
No you can't. Silly I know...Would be a welcome feature on a future update. However, What i did was just save my home page as a bookmark and open it, then close safari. Next time you open it, It'll be there :) I suppose you just have to mind and navigate to your homepage every time you've finished surfing :)

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
2. Press + sign and select "add to homepage". This places an icon for the web page into your iPhone homepage. Close Safari by pressing iPhone home key.

You are done!
:rolleyes:

Why can't you just use those steps? I have Macrumors as an icon on my home screen. :apple:

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I would rather see Top Sites come to the iPhone along with the ability to "Find In Page". There are solutions for the latter but it's best for it to be native.

macjohn123

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
How to set homepage in mobile safari

Requirements: jailbreak iphone/ipod, open ssh, winscp, plist editor

1. First, create a webclip to your home page using mobile safari "add to home page" function
2. Navigate to the webclips directory using winscp: /private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips/
3. You will see directories similar to this one: 833C7AC6-9AD4-4350-A873-6CE648B76AF4.webclip
4. Each of these directories contain two files: Info.plist and icon.png
5. Using winscp, move through the directories opening the Info.plist/icon.png file until you find the webclip you're looking for.
6. You can now alter the webclip information by editing the Info.plist file to reference icon name and location. (Search for edit plist files to find plist editor)
7. If you have a better icon you can simply replace the icon.png file.
8. Now to prevent your iphone from overwriting and replacing the info.plist/icon.png file with the default file/icon everytime you visit the home page, you need to use some tool to change the permissions on both the webclip directory and the plist file you've just edited and set it to read only. Use a tool like icommander to set the directory permissions to (0555) and plist/icon files to (0444) permissions.
9. You're done. Now reload the SpringBoard. You should have your own custom icon that will take you to the same safari web page everytime!
10. Just do a google search on any of the terms in this instruction if you do not understand.

Credits: Part of this instruction came from user: thedp. Thanks.

MplsRose

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Where is this plus sign of which you speak? (iPhone 3GS)

You are done!

Ryem

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011

You are done!

Where is this plus sign of which you speak? (iPhone 3GS)

It's slightly different on the latest version of the iOS (5). You want to click on the arrow on the bottom middle of the screen. Then click on "Add to Home Screen". Then you can drag Safari off the dock and replace it with your homepage icon.

You can drop Safari into a folder if you want to hide it away. I have it with the App and iTunes stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.