Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pieter Claessen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Belgium
I have a macbook pro 15 inch and he does 1:30 minutes or sometimes 2 to boot up. When I bought the MBP, it had snow leopard on it, but I downloaded Lion immediately. The installation failed the first time, but after the second time it worked. I have done a fresh install of lion and deleted some programs to have some space, but none of these things worked.
Does anyone know what the problem may be?

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I have a macbook pro 15 inch and he does 1:30 minutes or sometimes 2 to boot up. When I bought the MBP, it had snow leopard on it, but I downloaded Lion immediately. The installation failed the first time, but after the second time it worked. I have done a fresh install of lion and deleted some programs to have some space, but none of these things worked.
Does anyone know what the problem may be?

first fix permissions in disk utility then verify disk then repair disk if that doesn't make it faster reinstall lion i was having the same problem after the reinstall it was faster then snow leopard!!!!

Pieter Claessen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Belgium
first fix permissions in disk utility then verify disk then repair disk if that doesn't make it faster reinstall lion i was having the same problem after the reinstall it was faster then snow leopard!!!!

I did it, but after I verified the disk, I couldn't repair it... And I tested the boot up time, now it takes 1:10 minutes :)
it's 10 seconds less but not really that fast I think?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Your current 1:10 doesn’t seem extremely long.

I mean, if you’re running a slower HDD, and you’ve got a ton of services starting up (especially if you’re running a media server that scans directories, etc.), it’s not unreasonable. Is everything else running fine? Apps starting up quickly? No SBBODs?

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

Doesn't sound like a disk permissions issue... Sounds like possibly faulty RAM, or a hard drive going bad. Do you have a SSD in the MBP

Pieter Claessen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Belgium
Your current 1:10 doesn’t seem extremely long.

I mean, if you’re running a slower HDD, and you’ve got a ton of services starting up (especially if you’re running a media server that scans directories, etc.), it’s not unreasonable. Is everything else running fine? Apps starting up quickly? No SBBODs?
The apps doesn't start up that fast, sometimes he doesn't react for a long time...
How can I check what services start up by starting up the MBP?

----------

Doesn't sound like a disk permissions issue... Sounds like possibly faulty RAM, or a hard drive going bad. Do you have a SSD in the MBP
I don't know if it has an SSD when you buy it, but i didn't placed anything in it my MBP, so I guess not...

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
The apps doesn't start up that fast, sometimes he doesn't react for a long time...
How can I check what services start up by starting up the MBP?

----------

I don't know if it has an SSD when you buy it, but i didn't placed anything in it my MBP, so I guess not...

in that case back up your mac then reinstall lion,to do this you must restart the computer but before the chime hold the option key it should give you two options Macintosh HD and Recovery disk select recovery disk go to reinstall lion then choose Macintosh HD when it asks where you want to install it might take an hour though so be patient!!!

Pieter Claessen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Belgium
in that case back up your mac then reinstall lion,to do this you must restart the computer but before the chime hold the option key it should give you two options Macintosh HD and Recovery disk select recovery disk go to reinstall lion then choose Macintosh HD when it asks where you want to install it might take an hour though so be patient!!!

I did that about 3 hours ago, and it didn't worked,should I do it again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.