Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I want to be able to facetime from my iphone to my imac or ipad. I could have sworn this was working right but now it doesn't. I get a busy message no matter which device I start the facetime with. I think the problem has something to do with my iphone facetime setting saying verifying next to my phone number and has now defaulted to using my email for facetiming. Since that's what my ipad/imac use, a call can't be placed. Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I be able to use my phone to facetime to my pad or mac (can I use the same email on both and which ever device I'm using, will take the facetime call.) Any help or tutorials on facetiming would be appreciated. Did a google search and tried all this restriction stuff but it didn't help.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think you will have to activate it using your iphone's phone number on your phone.
You cant use the same email/apple ID to call yourself.
You cant be the caller and receiver at the same time using the same account.
Unless you make a new apple ID on your iphone to call your other email account on your macs or ipad etc...

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
I want to be able to facetime from my iphone to my imac or ipad. I could have sworn this was working right but now it doesn't. I get a busy message no matter which device I start the facetime with. I think the problem has something to do with my iphone facetime setting saying verifying next to my phone number and has now defaulted to using my email for facetiming. Since that's what my ipad/imac use, a call can't be placed. Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I be able to use my phone to facetime to my pad or mac (can I use the same email on both and which ever device I'm using, will take the facetime call.) Any help or tutorials on facetiming would be appreciated. Did a google search and tried all this restriction stuff but it didn't help.

From my iphone; I FT to my macbook by calling my email address. (which is a saved contact on iphone & macbook)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I think you will have to activate it using your iphone's phone number on your phone.
You cant use the same email/apple ID to call yourself.
You cant be the caller and receiver at the same time using the same account.
Unless you make a new apple ID on your iphone to call your other email account on your macs or ipad etc...

Yes, I need to deactivate my apple id and activate my phone number but i can't figure out how.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
Yes, I need to deactivate my apple id and activate my phone number but i can't figure out how.
I not sure if this is what your meaning in your post, but are you trying to activate your phone from Mac? If so, I think i added my own phone# as a contact on my iphone...Then it transfered to my MacBook by syncing, in which now on FaceTime(on Mac), i have my iphone as a contact and can call it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I not sure if this is what your meaning in your post, but are you trying to activate your phone from Mac? If so, I think i added my own phone# as a contact on my iphone...Then it transfered to my MacBook by syncing, in which now on FaceTime(on Mac), i have my iphone as a contact and can call it.

No I'm trying to FaceTime between my iPhone and iMac. When I call from my phone it says called is busy. When I go from iMac to iPhone, it works fine.

----------

From my iphone; I FT to my macbook by calling my email address. (which is a saved contact on iphone & macbook)

Me too but I can't go the other way, iPhone to iMac

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Ok just got the answer from the apple forums. I needed to click on my apple Id and that let me sign out of using my email for FaceTime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.