Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phooi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Hi,

I've noticed that the iPad doesn't shut off automatically after I use it. I've left it for over 5 minutes and it remains on when I return. I have to manually push the power button to shut it off.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Hi,

I've noticed that the iPad doesn't shut off automatically after I use it. I've left it for over 5 minutes and it remains on when I return. I have to manually push the power button to shut it off.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

What app were you in? It shuts off for me.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Hi,

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!
Check the settings under general.....

phooi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I RTFM (thanks for the useless advice). My setting is set to auto lock @ 5 min (I know where all the settings are). I noticed that it stays on longer than 5 min after I leave it alone. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing.

I guess I'll have to be more scientific and time whether it shuts down.

Bowserlm

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
I've noticed this too. I changed my auto lock settings from 2 min to 5 min because I found that it kept shutting off on me as I was reading ebooks. Now I find that I'll reach for my iPad in my backpack and somehow it's still on. I've double checked and confirmed that auto lock is indeed set to 5 minutes.

Seems like it must be a bug.

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
I've noticed this too. I changed my auto lock settings from 2 min to 5 min because I found that it kept shutting off on me as I was reading ebooks. Now I find that I'll reach for my iPad in my backpack and somehow it's still on. I've double checked and confirmed that auto lock is indeed set to 5 minutes.

Seems like it must be a bug.

Sounds like user error since it is just you.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Are you using a smart cover? That would turn the screen on when you got it out. And, unless you are holding the sleep button down until it said "swipe to power off" you aren't ever shutting the iPad down completely. Just putting it "to sleep".

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Also random magnets can turn the screen back on. I can take my play book and place it on the upper right hand corner of the iPad and it comes back on because the magnets in the speakers of the play book.

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Technically speaking, he's still right since it didn't come with the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.