Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chemdawg

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
After getting the Service Battery message, I took my MBP into the Apple Store to get it diagnosed. They said the battery needed to be replaced, I've searched all over for battery replacements, but the prices are all over. Anyone have any suggestions where I should purchase the battery from? I am using a mid 2010 MBP 13.3 in. Also are the batteries for the 13 and 15 in the same? Thank you!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The 2010 models have non-replacable battery's.
Take it to a Apple Store and get it replaced if you don't want to void your warranty (if you have AppleCare).

What is your amount of cycle on your MBP?
Unibody Macs are suppose to handle 80% battery charge when over 1000 cycles.

chemdawg

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I am currently at 76% battery capacity with 517 battery loadcycles. I've had the MBP for 18 months. I thought you could replace the battery by unscrewing the back? I do not have applecare and my warranty is already up.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I am currently at 76% battery capacity with 517 battery loadcycles. I've had the MBP for 18 months. I thought you could replace the battery by unscrewing the back? I do not have applecare and my warranty is already up.

If you had Applecare, they could of replaced it as "defect" since it didn't do the required charge (80% charge, 1000 cycles).
But since your warranty is up, your choices are to get it done by Apple or buy it on your own.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Battery/IF163-019

This is Apple's original OEM battery for 13in. Price is around 100USD.

rogerchucker

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13.3" "Service Battery" alert too soon?

I'm kinda glad somebody else raised this issue as well. I have a mid-2010 13.3" Macbook Pro (running OS X 10.7.3) and last summer I upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB.

Just yesterday I discovered that my Battery Condition right now is "Service Battery". I checked with coconutBattery that my battery now holds 78% of its capacity and it has reached 485 Battery Cycles so far. This macbook pro is 21 months old.

So the questions is: Is my battery life shortening too fast?

I can certainly see my laptop holding charge for shorter duration than it used to. I don't have Applecare.

So do I have only these two options or should I try out something else first?
1. spending $130 at the Apple Store - http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/
2. spending $120 on just the battery (from the iFixit link posted earlier) and replace it myself

I have attached an annotated screenshot of the coconutBattery reading.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 1.36.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 1.36.21 PM.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 9,547

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Spend the extra 10 dollars and let Apple do it. It is not an extremely difficult procedure, but 10 dollars for peace of mine is trivial.

chemdawg

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I went ahead and had my battery replaced by Apple. Quick and easy process, new battery is working well.

rogerchucker

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Should I give SMC reset a try before making the trip to the store though? Or do my numbers say that's not gonna help me? Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Should I give SMC reset a try before making the trip to the store though? Or do my numbers say that's not gonna help me? Thanks.
Resetting the SMC won't hurt anything, but it's unlikely to help. Just take it to Apple. I wouldn't trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.