Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Canada eh?
Good Evening,

Day by day I'm getting better aquainted with the Mac OS, however a few things are much more difficult to do then I am used to...so that usually (and so far in my experience) means that I just dont' know how to do it.

In finder I can go back a directory...but if I say right click --> show in finder a file can I go 'up' a directory like I would in Windows Explorer?

Thanks for your help on this and many more completly n00b questions,
Chad

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's built into the finder. Command (Apple button) + Click on the icon on the top middle of the finder window and you'll get a list of recent folders all the way back to the root.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
It's built into the finder. Command (Apple button) + Click on the icon on the top middle of the finder window and you'll get a list of recent folders all the way back to the root.

Yeah, that's the best. I'd like to add that the little icon can also be dragged. In the screen shot the 'untitled folder' icon is being dragged and dropped into an the App folder. This works for many individual application windows too.

icon.jpg

chadi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Canada eh?
Thanks guys.

Now how about having it so my network shares dont dissappear after I reboot :) Can I do it without writing a custom script to mount them?

chadi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Canada eh?
Thank you sir :D

Now I'm down to only a few minor things (if you don't count my M-audio products and their garbage drivers / QC...but that's not apples fault and I had similar problems on the PC).

The cd-rom in any notebook always bothers me...the one in the MBP seems to bother me more than most though in that a lot of times it gets a cd in there and is unable to read it and refuses to give it back to me...can't eject when it's in use etc; etc; ... on a regular old PC laptop with a pop out cd tray you can force eject it while it's 'doing something'.

I'm sure there isn't a way to take care of this issue so I'll end up either just getting used to it being problematic or ordering an external.

It most often occurs when I'm ripping my cd's into iTunes...if it can't read it right it just eats the cd and I have to fight to get it back out by doing a bunch of inventive things which ultimately results in me just rebooting it after getting fed up with it...

firefire

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
Going "up" a folder with BetterTouchTool

My apologies for reviving this dead thread. I liked gauchogolfer's use of Command + up, and set that to a three finger swipe up for Finder in the BetterTouchTool. When combining that with left and right swipes to go back and forward, I think I can navigate Finder much more easily.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In finder I can go back a directory...but if I say right click --> show in finder a file can I go 'up' a directory like I would in Windows Explorer?

I know you've gotten an answer that seems to satisfy you, but I fail to see the difference in the two things mentioned there. They're just different ways of saying the same thing, aren't they? Clicking the < arrow in the tool bar produces the same result as the Comand-Up Arrow or Command-click on the window name or icon suggested above.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I know you've gotten an answer that seems to satisfy you, but I fail to see the difference in the two things mentioned there. They're just different ways of saying the same thing, aren't they? Clicking the < arrow in the tool bar produces the same result as the Comand-Up Arrow or Command-click on the window name or icon suggested above.

Actually, that's not 100% true. It's possible to get to a folder without having gone through it's parent folder(s). Sometimes it's quite useful to go up a level in the directory. I use the Cmd-Up Arrow shortcut on a daily basis.

jW

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Thank you!

My apologies for reviving this dead thread. I liked gauchogolfer's use of Command + up, and set that to a three finger swipe up for Finder in the BetterTouchTool. When combining that with left and right swipes to go back and forward, I think I can navigate Finder much more easily.

Thank you for reviving this thread. I have been trying to find the correct search terms for this action. Google has not been helpful.

Gregg2 your suggestion only helps when you have step by step-ed to that location, not when you jump directly to the folder. It's a where you have been button not so much a back or decrease one level button.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Gregg2 your suggestion only helps when you have step by step-ed to that location, not when you jump directly to the folder. It's a where you have been button not so much a back or decrease one level button.
Ah, ok. I get that. Thanks!

It's possible to get to a folder without having gone through it's parent folder(s).

How do you do that? I'll use cascading menus to "skip" folders, but I sense that this really isn't what you're saying.

Moran

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
Good Evening,

Day by day I'm getting better aquainted with the Mac OS, however a few things are much more difficult to do then I am used to...so that usually (and so far in my experience) means that I just dont' know how to do it.

Thanks for your help on this and many more completly n00b questions,
Chad
God bless you! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.