Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lion-165.png

Apple has released a small update to Lion called Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update. The update is apparently a bug fix for an issue with restoring from a Time Machine Backup.
About Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update

This update resolves an issue when restoring a Mac from a Time Machine backup.
The update weighs in at 24.55MB and is recommended for all Lion users who have Time Machine backups. It can be downloaded from Apple's software update web page.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update, Fixes Time Machine Recovery Issue

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I don't use TimeMachine, but this is good for the people who use it. It's nice to see that they are on top of issues.:apple:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I must have got a botched one then, it only came in at 38K.

Haven't had to back up from a Lion Time Machine yet though, thankfully.

If this is the Apple - updating as we go along and not waiting for a huge "Delta" update, then things could be on the up.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Mine was 38K too - on both machines I tried.

I must have got a botched one then, it only came in at 38K.

Haven't had to back up from a Lion Time Machine yet though, thankfully.

If this is the Apple - updating as we go along and not waiting for a huge "Delta" update, then things could be on the up.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I guess we won't be seeing 10.7.4 or anything like that now that Mountain Lion has been unleashed.

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I guess we won't be seeing 10.7.4 or anything like that now that Mountain Lion has been unleashed.

Why would you say that? Isn't it possible that this was simply a crucial fix that couldn't wait for 10.7.4?

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
What issue with Time Machine Backups?

Good grief- Would it really pain Apple that much to tell us what issue they think they have fixed? Faced with the need to upgrade drives for more storage capacity, I was having a really bad time installing onto new mirrored drives from a TM backup and figured it was because Lion prefers to create its own invisible recovery partition. The restore process took hours at a time and I would like to know whether it's worth blowing another weekend putting the mirror setup back in place. The mirroring worked beautifully before the attempted storage upgrade. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I don't use TimeMachine, but this is good for the people who use it. It's nice to see that they are on top of issues.:apple:

You should try using Time Machine. it's the best thing ever invented besides ice-cream. :D

Well, seriously, it has saved my butt many times.
I have never seen something like that before, when I was a Windows user.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I've used version control programs (CVS, SVN, etc) to keep my source code under control for years, but I'd never seen it as part of an operating system until I switched to Mac.

It's extremely useful.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
an 25 megs disk image for a 500 kbyte file? And the package only contains TimeMachineUpdatePayload with 1 byte (0x5F). Say what?

It's these magical Delta updates they went on about when Lion was released. Remember, it was supposed to make things smaller. The trouble is, to get to the smaller file, you have to download something that is 100's of times larger.

Born2run45

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This would have helped me a lot yesterday.

jkreileder

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Agreed. Something seems amiss with this update. :eek:

I just don't know what to make of it.

Well, the package doesn't really contain files to install. Everything happens in the postinstall script: "./Tools/injectfse ./Tools/DeferredInstallFixup.file_list"

This seems to generate fake fsevents for the files listed in DeferredInstallFixup.file_list. I didn't look closer at that but I guess it's done to guarantee current versions of those files get pushed on the TimeMachine backup.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
The things that make you go "hmm..."

Just an FYI, command+shift+4, space bar, select window to screenshot. Makes much sexier screenshots. ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 7.53.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 7.53.12 PM.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 215

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Well, the package doesn't really contain files to install. Everything happens in the postinstall script: "./Tools/injectfse ./Tools/DeferredInstallFixup.file_list"

This seems to generate fake fsevents for the files listed in DeferredInstallFixup.file_list. I didn't look closer at that but I guess it's done to guarantee current versions of those files get pushed on the TimeMachine backup.

Understood, but it doesn't make sense that a half a meg update has to be in a 23MB DMG.

Ves

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Just had a scare. After it updated and I waited 5 minutes before rebooting it got stuck after restarting. It kept doing this 6 times before eventually 'breaking through' and starting normally. Weird thing before this happened. I her a loud noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.