Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_25_billion1.jpg

Apple has posted its list [iTunes Link] of the top 25 bestselling apps of all time, following the download of the 25 billionth app from the App Store.

The list, transcribed by MacStories, gives some insight into the types of apps that users are buying, and how those differ between the iPhone/iPod Touch and the iPad.

The top 9 apps on the bestselling paid iPhone list are all games, with photography app Camera+ coming in tenth. In the entire top 25, there are only 5 non-games on the list.

The bestselling free iPhone list does include a number of games, but includes many more app-versions of popular websites and services. Facebook, Pandora, Skype and The Weather Channel are all in the top 5, with Words With Friends Free and Angry Birds Free the only games in the top 10.

Showing how the iPad differs from the iPhone in more than just screen size, the bestselling paid iPad list includes a large number of productivity applications. Apple's Pages word processing app comes in first, with sketching app Penultimate, GoodReader, Numbers, and Keynote all show up in the top 15.

The bestselling free iPad list looks similar to the free iPhone list, with a number of app-versions of popular websites and services, as well as a good number of free games as well.

The full bestselling lists can be viewed on iTunes, or at MacStories.

Article Link: Apple Publishes Game-Heavy iOS App Bestseller List

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Angry birds has got to be the first. Hands down.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Angry birds has got to be the first. Hands down.

I remember in the days before Angry Birds came along that Doodle Jump was the classic must have app. :)

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It seems to be country specific. The list I get here in the UK is different from MacStories' list

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Interesting, but logically the list HAS to be game-heavy; that really doesn’t say anything meaningful about how people use their devices.

Why would it be game-heavy? Because games as a genre are so varied and you can have fun with many similar games.

You’re probably not going to buy, use and recommend ten different word processors or calculators, even if you spend a ton of time using your favorite one or two.

But you may well buy and play ten dual-stick shooters or ten word games! Some you’ll use for hours at a time, some not, but you get value and enjoyment from the variety.

Put another way: there’s a good reason to stop buying apps in any productivity category: you’ve found a great one and now you’re happy. There’s no good reason to stop buying games....

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm surprised and pleased that Tiny Wings is there. It's still one of my favorite games. And I was really surprised Skee-Ball is at number 13. That was one of the early apps for the iPhone. I'm amazed it's still selling so well. But outside of those apps, I only own a handful of others that made the list. I guess I'm just not that app-savvy. :)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
You'd think with *multiple* calculators showing up as some of the top apps of all-time on the iPad, Apple would realize that people WANT those missing "iPhone apps" on their iPad.

Where are Calculator, Stocks, Weather, etc, etc?

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I've always wished there was a checkbox in the App Store so I could filter out games and just see the top ten lists of all the other categories.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I wish there was a way to look at the Top app list for all the categories with games excluded. They just dominate the Top list so heavily, and I rarely ever download game apps when compared to other categories. There might be a way already, but I don't know of one.

Edit: Yeah, what InfoTime said.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It seems to be country specific. The list I get here in the UK is different from MacStories' list

Yep - it's definitely country specific. The Japanese list really surprised me. Only 7 of the top 25 are games, so it's definitely not game heavy. And some of the best selling apps, were very unexpected.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Is this list Global or USA only - it's just that the Netflix and ABC app aren't available outside the US and I doubt it would make a Global list

mrmicp

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Is this list Global or USA only - it's just that the Netflix and ABC app aren't available outside the US and I doubt it would make a Global list

We get the Netflix app over here in the UK, but it isn't on our list.... but BBC iPlayer, ITV player and 4OD are.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
One siginificant way these lists are "skewed" (if you're trying to understand what people do with their iPhones, iPads, and Toches): they don't include the built-in apps. Email, messaging, calendar, music, video, books, browsing, etc. are all included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.