Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
EDIT: My issue has been resolved!

Major thanks to all of you. You have all been very helpful.

Last edited:

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
What's wrong with it? That Mac is only 17 years old. Have you been taking good care of it? Tell us what it's doing wrong any maybe we can help you sort it out. It's probably something simple.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
That's harsh. I take really good care of mine too, but I made that same mistake once. I feel your pain. Well, dang. I guess I agree. Even changing the motherboard doesn't guarantee a fix here.

The Marketplace section is here. I've never messed around with it, but I think you need a minimum number of posts before you're allowed to use it. Maybe someone else will correct me on that.

If someone has one of these that's not in use, it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't be happy to give it a good home. I'd also post on Craig's List and Freecycle.org.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I've got a 7100/66 but I wanna say its baked too. Unlike a Windows PC you can pull out that hard drive and drop it into another mac that supports the OS installed and it'll work. You aren't necessarily limited to a 7100.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I've got a 7100/66 but I wanna say its baked too. Unlike a Windows PC you can pull out that hard drive and drop it into another mac that supports the OS installed and it'll work. You aren't necessarily limited to a 7100.

That's a good point. Are we talking about specific hardware that requires a NuBus slot? If not, that makes things easier. If so, there is no guarantee that the lightening didn't also damage it. When it hit my house and got my Mac it also zapped me on the buttocks and literally knocked me on the floor. I was also tripping on acid--Which really just made things worse (or, at least, seem worse). Not much that was plugged in survived on that day. Was anything else damaged when it struck?

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Thank you for the help!

I have, but it appears I've made one terrible mistake. One night I was working on it and heard the rumble of thunder. So I shut it down and let it be. The next morning, I went to turn it on and I got nothing. No lights, noises, or anything. I'm assuming the power supply has blown, along with any number of things.

It's very upsetting, as I always take very good care of my things, and I was sad to see that I lost the Mac because of such a silly oversight.

Even if the initial issue can be cured, I'm not sure that the damage is isolated to one certain region, every component could be damaged. I only hope that my soundcard and MIDI interface were spared as I'll need to use them in the new Mac.

Thanks for your help.

Same thing happened to my new-ish TV over the summer. I took the back off of it, and found that the fuse on the input blew, so I went out to radioshack and for $3 I fixed the TV

It's probably worth a shot to check out the fuses in the power supply ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Welcome to the forums!

You're probably best off expanding your search to include all of the NuBus-equipped Power Macs, as it will be easier to find a solution. An 8100 would be a little faster, and not any more expensive these days. A 6100 would be slower but I imagine it would still work OK. For what it's worth, there are a number of these machines on ebay now, including at least one 7100/80.

If the Audiomedia II NuBus card is fragged then you're in bigger touble, they are obviously less common than the PowerMacs themselves. You will then have to find an equivalent card...and PCI cards are much more common than NuBus cards. In that case you might consider getting something newer (like a G3 desktop/tower) since a G3 is probably not any more expensive than an earlier PPC machine and is easier to find parts for.

As an aside, many of these old Macs are cheap enough that it might make sense to buy two of them, so as to have a backup machine or a parts source. And while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to shop for a decent UPS, that should prevent another lightning damage incident and can be used with any computer, so no upgrade worries.

Good luck!

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Ha!
kbfr: Don't tease me. These Macs have surge protectors?

They have fuses. Be very careful, though, if you decide to take the PSU apart. Capacitors can store enough electricity to stop a human heart. If that last sentence makes you feel uncomfortable, seek the help of a friend who might do this sort of thing for a living.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Well, I took the computer over today to an acquaintance of mine who is kind of a Mac aficionado. We took the cover off, and it was pretty clear what killed it. Some parts were outright melted, and a clear amount of damage could be seen.

We took the Audiomedia card and tried to put it in another Mac, because it didn't seem to have much physical damage, but it isn't registering at all under Mac OS. I think it's safe to say that the HD is dead.

This is kind of terrible. Now I also have to find the Mac OS 7.1.2 disks, and more importantly, a copy of Logic 2.0. As for the latter, I have no idea where I might find it. I asked around on a few forums, but haven't gotten any hits. I think I threw out or donated all my floppies half a decade ago, never realizing that I had anything important on them!

I think I'll eventually be able to find everything I need, but Logic 2.0 seems like a very long shot. Not only will I need the diskettes, I'll need the copy-protection dongle as well, as they're locked to each copy.

I suppose I'll just have to hope a kind soul sees this and helps me out.

Anyone know where I might start looking?

I have an original 7.1.2 CD I don't have any use for anymore. You can have it for the postage it will cost to mail it to you. Can't help with the Logic 2.0 though.

BTW, do you live in Michigan? The reason I ask is because I sold a 7100/80 in 1999 to someone with the same nubus audio requirements as you. Probably just a coincidence, but I had to ask.

Send me a private message if you're interested in the System CD. Good luck with the rest of your hunt.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
That's very generous of you! For some reason, I can't send you a private message, but that is very comforting.

I need to make sure I have a source lined up for everything I'll need, because without one component, the whole system doesn't work. So could you please hang on to the Mac OS CD for a week or two while I try to find everything else? I really wouldn't feel right taking something out of generosity and then not even being able to use it.

It doesn't even have to be Logic 2.0. I used 2.0, but anything between 1.7 and 2.5 would do, as those are the only Logics that run on Mac OS 7 and offer everything that I'm used to. 2.0 is my favorite though, as it had a special preset for my mixer that made things a lot easier to work with.

Nope, that wasn't me as I was (and am) in Maryland. I'm not surprised though, as that kind of combination for music was very popular in the mid to late '90s.

I've found a (pricey) possible source for an Audiomedia II card, but nothing still on the Power Mac itself and Logic.

Your not being able to send me a private message was my fault. I'm pretty new here on this forum and had the private messages preferences set too restrictive. I've reset the prefs and sent you a PM on this.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Alright, I have a few updates!

I have a possible source for the Power Mac and the Audiomedia card. I also have a definite source for Mac OS 7.1.2, thanks to our very own excellent archtopshop.

Now the hard part is finding Emagic Logic Audio 2.5. Without that software, the whole thing falls apart. If anyone has a copy, let me know! I would appreciate it very much. I should've saved those floppies!

Thanks all, I'm quite close to having my music setup back again.

The first thing I'm going to invest in if/when I get my setup running again, is a decent UPS.

try lemswap for sure there are lots of guys there that can help you find or sell the hardware/software that you need.

mulholland13

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
At the risk of suggesting a non-solution, have you considered a slightly newer mac and audio interface? If my memory serves, you can run Logic 4.x on 603/604 PPCs with an eMagic AudioWerk card (or something similar) and still open your 2.x projects. Also, a PCI bus would open up a number of options as far as audio interfaces go, and anything pre-G3 should have a serial interface so your Opcode box would still be usable.

That potential lack of help out of the way, I can't do much in the way of Logic 2.x, but I think I could sort out a 4.x version of Logic if that would be of any help. (I also have a 7100/66 and 7.1 on hand if either would be of use.)

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I have, but I would really like to re-animate my old setup. I feel it was terminated unjustly, and has more life in it yet.

I have some updates though. I now have a source for the Power Mac itself and Logic.

However, I am still on the hunt for the Digidiesign Audiomedia II Nubus board.

Also, I apparently had Macintosh System 7.5, not 7.1.2, as Logic doesn't run on 7.1.2 :eek:. So does anyone here have the Mac System 7.5 CD they're not using anymore?

Thanks again all.

You have a download link from apple, wouldn't that work?!
Have you tried lemswap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.