Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radioactive

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
Hi,
I have a legitimate iPhone 4S activated on PagePlus's $30/month plan. I'd like to remove the SIM lock on the phone. When I remove the Verizon SIM and insert a foreign SIM in, the phone reminds me that I need to contact my carrier for an unlock.

I called 1-800-711-8300 (Verizon Global Support), and gave them the phone number, the woman was chatty, but said that since it was activated via a 3rd party, she could not see anything on the account. Additionally, she could not search by MEID.

She gave me the number for PagePlus, but she didn't know they'd be able to help. Overall, my experience with PagePlus has been mediocre, every time I'm told "iPhone is not allowed on PagePlus" so I'm not really expecting them to know how to process an unlock.

The phone originally came from a post-paid VZW account, so it's valid, does anyone know if I can have the SIM lock removed?

Last edited:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Where did you purchase your 4S? Was it originally from Verizon? Why didn't you have Verizon unlocked the sim before switching to a 3rd party? Can you go with Verizon for a few months, have them unlock it, then switch back?

radioactive

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
Where did you purchase your 4S? Was it originally from Verizon? Why didn't you have Verizon unlocked the sim before switching to a 3rd party? Can you go with Verizon for a few months, have them unlock it, then switch back?

I bought it off Craigslist. I've called VZ Global Support up a few times, and every time it's the same story, they can't find my mom's number in their billing system. I haven't managed to get them to transfer me to tech support to unlock it :( Is there a secret handshake needed? <wink>

Last edited:

yrchern

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
I've tried, but the phone is on a reseller/MVNO, not VZW so it doesn't exactly apply...

If you have read it, then you should know you do not meet the requirements to get an official unlock from Verizon for your Verizon iPhone. There's no way you can unlock it officially and there's no other ways to unlock it unofficially (software or gevey) at this time.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
In other words you're sol.
The original verizon owner had to have the iphone officialy unlocked on their account for international use. Then sell it to you.
Nothing you can do with it now but sell it back to a US verizon subscriber.

radioactive

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
I tried to email a lady in tier-2 support at Verizon, but she never wrote back. I'm not sure why VZW is so fussy over unlocking the phone, they're getting the revenue from their reseller.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I tried to email a lady in tier-2 support at Verizon, but she never wrote back. I'm not sure why VZW is so fussy over unlocking the phone, they're getting the revenue from their reseller.

Because you're not a subscriber to their network and they dont have to do anything for you.
If you are a customer of theirs with a good standing account for over 60 days then they could unlock it.
Have someone with a verizon account activate the phone on their line.
Then follow the instructions below.

1. Meet the following requirements:

******* Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.*********
* The iPhone 4S being unlocked must be active on the Verizon Wireless line of service.
* The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
* The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
* Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.

mentalradio

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
re:

Hey radioactive (or anyone else that might know), I'm thinking of activating my 4s on Page Plus, but I'm a little hesitant. I called Page Plus' 1-800# and was told they don't normally activate iPhone's, but when the agent looked up my MEID she told me my phone WAS available for activation. I also called a handful of re-seller agents who told me that iPhone's are not supported.

How long have you been using them? Have you had any issues? I guess I'm mostly worried about what's the risk of getting shut off from Page Plus service somewhere down the line (especially if take the plunge and pay the ETF to close my Verizon account).

Can anyone here provide any insight???

Thanks!

radioactive

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
Hey radioactive (or anyone else that might know), I'm thinking of activating my 4s on Page Plus, but I'm a little hesitant. I called Page Plus' 1-800# and was told they don't normally activate iPhone's, but when the agent looked up my MEID she told me my phone WAS available for activation. I also called a handful of re-seller agents who told me that iPhone's are not supported.

How long have you been using them? Have you had any issues? I guess I'm mostly worried about what's the risk of getting shut off from Page Plus service somewhere down the line (especially if take the plunge and pay the ETF to close my Verizon account).

Can anyone here provide any insight???

Thanks!

It's been active for 3 months, the CSRs refused to activate it but the online tool on their page (pagepluscellular.com) activated and ported my Mom's number without a problem.

Otherwise there are no problems, my mom is more technical than most 70 year olds, but hasn't called once for "it doesn't work." I'm a bit leery of being cut off as well, but we'll cross that once we get there, VZW has been a lot better about open access to their network over time than Sprint, so we'll see...

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Im sure you guys will be fine. They don't sell the iPhone so they don't want to give any info about supporting it.

Alot of ppl out their are using carriers that do not support the iPhone and are doing fine.

cielmiel

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Pagepluscellular online tool

It's been active for 3 months, the CSRs refused to activate it but the online tool on their page (pagepluscellular.com) activated and ported my Mom's number without a problem.

Otherwise there are no problems, my mom is more technical than most 70 year olds, but hasn't called once for "it doesn't work." I'm a bit leery of being cut off as well, but we'll cross that once we get there, VZW has been a lot better about open access to their network over time than Sprint, so we'll see...

I have a current pagepluscellar account. I want to change from a Verizon Samsung phone to a Verizon iPhone 4s. When I log in to my account and select change ESN, it gives me these choices:
(1) call customer service
(2) use a live chat session
(3) Alternatively, you may visit an authorized dealer and request an ESN change.

You indicated that the online tool activated and ported your Mom's number. Is there another online tool besides the one that ports numbers? I could not find any other tool. Do I need to use the "Port number" option even though I am a current pagepluscellular customer?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.