Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
This is purely a hypothetical question at the moment, but I'd like to know if it's possible. Could I install Windows 8 on a jailbroken iPad and dual boot it? If not, then how about installing/emulating iOS on a Windows 8 tablet? Having a device that runs both would be teh awsum!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
This is purely a hypothetical question at the moment, but I'd like to know if it's possible. Could I install Windows 8 on a jailbroken iPad and dual boot it? If not, then how about installing/emulating iOS on a Windows 8 tablet? Having a device that runs both would be teh awsum!

As South Park once hummed: Dumb, dumb dumb.. dumb!

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
I for one think that would be awesome, though I doubt it's possible.

BubbaJones

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
East Coast
If it were possible, I'd try it...

Not a big fan of Windows (any version), but this type of thing is geeky enough to interest me...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Closest I've seen is Win95 with that DOS program that got taken off the app store a couple years ago. You can always use something like splashtop streamer, over wifi it really feels like you are using Win7/8 on your ipad and dont even need to JB.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Windows 8

Having installed and used win8 on my MBP running fusion ....let me tell you it is a very compelling OS. It is still pre-beta but, boy, it is a very interesting offering.

the kids in Redmond are working in the right direction. But at the end of the day its about apps, and this is the real issue that Microsoft has to address.
:cool:

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I'll give a serious answer.

It might be possible, but would require a bootrom exploit similar to limera1n so you could control what your booting into. Then it would require you ran the ARM version of windows8 which is separate from the version that has been released which is for the x86 cpu architecture, (such as intel core i5, or amd etc). I think this wont be something you get on a DVD, it will most likely be given to tablet manufactures to build into the device.

Even if you were to get all that, then you need to create drivers to run everything, wifi, bluetooth, graphics, sound and touch screen etc.

So whilst slightly possible, effectively it wont ever happen.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I'll give a serious answer.

It might be possible, but would require a bootrom exploit similar to limera1n so you could control what your booting into. Then it would require you ran the ARM version of windows8 which is separate from the version that has been released which is for the x86 cpu architecture, (such as intel core i5, or amd etc). I think this wont be something you get on a DVD, it will most likely be given to tablet manufactures to build into the device.

Even if you were to get all that, then you need to create drivers to run everything, wifi, bluetooth, graphics, sound and touch screen etc.

So whilst slightly possible, effectively it wont ever happen.

Not that I want it though it could be cool proof of concept.

Once windows 8 tablets start coming out we may see people take the software installers that can be downloaded from Microsoft and find a way.

Plus for drivers and such if a windows 8 tablet has the same type of wifi chip as an iPad it might see it.

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland

I think you need another flavor of tablets if you want to do that.
You are so...

dr_cox_wrong.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks for your very helpful advice, guys, but it looks like now I won't have to dual-boot if I want the best of both worlds.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/13/splashtop-brings-windows-8-to-apple-ipad-video/

Now that's interesting. Not going to spend $25 on it but I will check it out in the app store. Now that I've read the reviews and app description, epic fail unless you are a Windows 8 user on your homoe or office PC and using this as remote desktop. $50 at full price? Bite me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Now that's interesting. Not going to spend $25 on it but I will check it out in the app store. Now that I've read the reviews and app description, epic fail unless you are a Windows 8 user on your homoe or office PC and using this as remote desktop. $50 at full price? Bite me.

Point of clarification for those who have not read the description

Please Note: A PC installed with Windows 8 Consumer Preview is required.

This is just a gesture enabled remote desktop, since there is little hardware available to test Win8's touch interface.

B

mcsenerd

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Irving, TX
Windows 8 is a fine OS (really...i think it's very good) for a dying paradigm that has arrived roughly 4 to 5 years too late to change the crash course that the Redmond Titanic has been on forever...

It won't change the market, and it's not going to suddenly reverse the very evident trend away from traditional OS's that is currently in progress. To echo an earlier comment...it's not the OS that really matters anymore...it'll be all about the apps.

By the way...just watch for upcoming developments from the likes of VMware and others...it's not just desktop OS's that are in death throngs right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.