Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was cleaning the house the other day and found my old ipod classic and some memories came up about how it was so amazing when I first bought it and how much I paid for it. Today it is the same iPod classic that Apple is selling in their stores and you can tell people spend a lot less attention on them, even Apple.

I'm all for innovation(music player on iphone) but damn i really feel bad for the ipods of today.

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
I know what you mean! I thought Apple might pay some attention to it this March, but it's all about the iPad again..really want a new one but can't face paying £200 for a 3 year old product with not-really-enough memory! I'd say whack a 220gb HDD/SDD and a slightly brighter screen (with glass), scrap the shiny back-plate and keep the click-wheel, would it be that trickyy? Not everyone wants a 8gb touchscreen games-console :(

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
What's sad is even the iPod Touch is getting ignored in favor of the iPhone and iPad. I really didn't expect updates for the nano, shuffle or classic in 2011 but I did expect updates to the touch, instead they introduce a software update for the nano and a white model for the touch whoopie!

We have a nano that got turned into a less favorable form factor that was actually downgraded feature-wise in 2010 and hasn't seen a capacity update since the 2008s 4th gen 16GB.

We have a classic that hasn't gotten any updates (hardware wise) since 2007 other than the hard drive which has never exceeded 2007s 160GB Classic.

We have the shuffle that got a capacity downgrade in 2010 and reverted to something we've already seen before (a smaller 2nd gen look).

Really this is a very great story of what happens when a company wipes the floor with the competition to the point there isn't any left. They just let them sit.

Funny thing is even though the Classic hasn't seen any real upgrades since 2007 it is still in the top 10 every time I check Amazon under the mp3 player section, that really says a lot about the device.

Its a shame that Apple can't give us music junkies a nod by doing a little something with it like using glass, bumping the screen up in size (even if it was like only 2.7") and switching the audio chip to improve the sound quality.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
iPods don't generate money (apps, carrier service plans) like their cousins, iPhones and iPads. Like many things in this world, is all about money.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I think the classics are brilliant. I use my 2 with a Onkyo ND-S1 digital output dock and I'm sure it sounds better than from a Mac though a decent Lavry DAC and stereo set up.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/onkyo-nd-s1-digital-ipod-dock

I think the DAC and output stage on all iPods are perfectly fine.

I lost my 2nd gen touch over 6 months ago ,but found it a few days ago. After using an iPad for the last few months, I found that gadget really sad with its tiny screen, limited storage and connectivity. I use 4th and 5th gen nanos for listening on the go.

When I have the money I'm going to go out and buy another 6 classics so i put my entire lossless music library on them, before Apple cans them.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Would LOVE a click wheel iPod classic with 32/64/128 SSD I only need 32GB because my music is all V0 MP3 and I don't put movies on my iPod, that would be sweet!

I spent a long time waiting for a refurb 16GB 5g nano specifically because it had a click wheel, I paid $179 for a refurb nano (seems really high) but I wanted the click wheel not that dumb little "touch" screen.

My cousin just bought a black classic from the apple retail store new a few days ago, god I love the click wheel! :)

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
Really this is a very great story of what happens when a company wipes the floor with the competition to the point there isn't any left. They just let them sit.

That's actually a very good point, there is absolutely no alternative what's-so-ever in terms of capacity and quality (sort of), and Apple cannot acknowledge that some people don't want a load of app's that get boring after a few hours, or would rather surf the web on a computer, and just want to be able to carry around lots of music and maybe a few films!

Grr, I'm on another rant :eek:

Thana6tos

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
NY, PA, & Cape Cod
It's too bad....

I STILL have my 1st & @2nd gen. nano and love them as their are great for the gym. I just got another classic just because ........ :D I really dislike the touch nano - looks cheap and like a kid toy. No thanks Apple. I really really wish they would put some effort into making the classic and the nano - software updates, larger and shaper screens, etc. But I guess that is out of the question because they don't bring in much profit and Apple is MOSTLY about $$$$ these days. Oh well, lets enjoy what we have.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Apple cannot acknowledge that some people don't want a load of app's that get boring after a few hours, or would rather surf the web on a computer, and just want to be able to carry around lots of music and maybe a few films!

If Apple didn't acknowledge that then surely they wouldn't still offer the Classic.

It would be nice if Apple upped the storage, but at least they still sell it. People have been fearing it will be discontinued for a few years now, but it's still there.

Unfortunately though it does come down to money in the end. If there was a real clamour for larger storage then Apple would probably have increased it by now (or someone else would have filled that gap in the market).

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I love my iPhone and iPad, and I loved my iPod Touch before that. Yet still, the very best portable music player I've ever owned is my old black & white 20g iPod from 2004. I wish it still worked. Dead as it may be, I'll never get rid of it.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'd love if they could just do a special one time audiophile addition or something. Make it 200+ gigs with a really good DAC and some high quality in-ear monitors.

I may get another classic just to have one. I dunno, just have this feeling.....

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Actually, I don't real really bad for my iPod. I got my first one, the fifth generation "video" model after having already had various Palm PDAs and a Newton 100.

I always felt like the iPod didn't do as much as I wanted it to. "Just music" was never enough for me.

I felt more bad for my old Palms and Newtons when I gave them away.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
You think the iPod touch 4G might just be the last version of the iPod?

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I STILL have my 1st & @2nd gen. nano and love them as their are great for the gym. I just got another classic just because ........ :D I really dislike the touch nano - looks cheap and like a kid toy. No thanks Apple. I really really wish they would put some effort into making the classic and the nano - software updates, larger and shaper screens, etc. But I guess that is out of the question because they don't bring in much profit and Apple is MOSTLY about $$$$ these days. Oh well, lets enjoy what we have.

If my 6th gen nano wasn't a gift, I would've never gotten one...now I'm glad I did, PERFECT for when I run...use my Nike + to track my runs and I'm good...I do think they should've scrapped the shuffle and priced the new nano cheaper

It'sMyPrecious

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Between heaven and hell
I remember the day I got my first iPod nano (1st generation) shortly after it came out. I loved it to death! Brings back good memories. I don't have it anymore, because I sold it when I bought the iPod nano 3rd gen, and I sold the 3rd gen to get the iPod touch 2nd gen. Even though I have an iPhone now, I'm still keeping my iPod touch for the sake of memories.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
If Apple didn't acknowledge that then surely they wouldn't still offer the Classic.

It would be nice if Apple upped the storage, but at least they still sell it. People have been fearing it will be discontinued for a few years now, but it's still there.

Unfortunately though it does come down to money in the end. If there was a real clamour for larger storage then Apple would probably have increased it by now (or someone else would have filled that gap in the market).

Give me a 250 GB Classic that I can AirPlay thru my AppleTV and I'd be happy.

tommot82

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
i never really got the clickwheel ipods!

now an iphone/ipod touch with iTunes match means i can carry round all my music with me anyway!

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
If my 6th gen nano wasn't a gift, I would've never gotten one...now I'm glad I did, PERFECT for when I run...use my Nike + to track my runs and I'm good...I do think they should've scrapped the shuffle and priced the new nano cheaper

Ya but the touchscreen is the pits for working out! The refurb idea above is a great one. I just bought my bf a 6th gen and upgraded the headphones so he can use a clicker to change songs and volume. Since his bday is next week I really can't wait any longer for an update!

I have a 5gb 1st gen that I haven't used in a long time and a 3rd gen I keep plugged into my stereo at all times. Plus a 1st gen 16gb Touch and 1st and 2nd gen Shuffles (I keep the 1G for a backup for a long distance race I do once a year). Didn't know I had so many, and they were all gifts except for the phone! :)

The clicks are the best for those on the go. Miss that little clip-on remote Apple used to sell for the early ones! :) DON'T miss the hard drive skipping and battery dying in cold weather though.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

I also love my 6th gen nano, but I liked the idea before I got it (I wanted a smaller nano that fit in my pocket well or clipped on everywhere. But I didn't want the small capacity and no way to pick specific songs that the shuffle offered). I hated the stick form, doesn't fit in the pocket well.

Though I love my 6th gen, I think if the 3rd gen had more storage space, I'd love it more solely cause it had a better battery than either my 6th or 5th gen (which both have some neater features than the 3rd gen but features i don't use much while it would be nice to have a better battery, the 6th gen's weakness is its battery. The third gen doesn't have quite as nice form as the 6th gen but it still fits in a pocket well). I do like the touch screen for picking songs and picking what features I want to use over the clickwheel (especially the clickwheel on the 5th gen that was so small it was hard to go up or down just one click which made trying to get through menus a PITA). As for controlling the 6th gen when walking/working out whatever, that's what the remote on my headsets is for (there is a huge advantage the 6th and 5th gen had over my third gen, I love the remote. I found it easier to use than the 5th gen's clickwheel honestly except you couldn't use it in the menu area).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.