Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Yep mark427 is smack on perfect. Got a kernal panic trying to make this work on my 2.4 core2duo iMac in the process.

Minus720

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Didnt work for me

I have a bluetooth keyboard and mousepad, so I cant turn off my bluetooth. Is there a work around for this because I'm in an endless loop of pairing and it is driving me crazy!

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I had same problem on MBP 2011 in Lion where it pairs, then drops connections shortly after, but got it to work finally heres what I did:

1. Open bluetooth from system preferences.
2. Get your PS3 controller to ask for pairing passcode (pressing PSX button). 3. Then enter new passcode (I used letters only "xxxx" don't know if it matters)
4. Now you should see PS3 Controller "Connected" in that list of Bluetooth devices. Select it and click the little gear in the bottom left corner and select add to favorites and then update services.
5. THIS IS THE STEP THAT FINALLY MADE IT REMEMBER. Turn off Bluetooth right away before it asks to pair all over again. The lights on the controller should stop flashing. Turn Bluetooth back on.
6. Press PSX button once and should pair in bluetooth right away. The lights will start flashing again and stay flashing all the time. They turn off when you disconnect it from bluetooth or turn bluetooth off.

Post if this works or not. MPB Early 2011 with OS Lion 10.7.3

Edit: I got the controller to be connected and lights off. After step 5, plug controller in USB, the lights should be flashing (slower though). Press the PSX button once, unplug USB, controller will pair in few seconds and lights will turn off.

This procedure didn't work for me (2011 MBP, Lion 10.7.3), however I was able to get my controller to work via USB. Thats fine for me.

Its odd, because I could get 1 controller to work via USB but not the other. I wonder if it had anything to do with it never being linked to a PS3 yet (brand new controller).

ChengaizAK

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
I had same problem on MBP 2011 in Lion where it pairs, then drops connections shortly after, but got it to work finally heres what I did:

2. Get your PS3 controller to ask for pairing passcode (pressing PSX button). 3. Then enter new passcode (I used letters only "xxxx" don't know if it matters)
4. Now you should see PS3 Controller "Connected" in that list of Bluetooth devices. Select it and click the little gear in the bottom left corner and select add to favorites and then update services.
5. THIS IS THE STEP THAT FINALLY MADE IT REMEMBER. Turn off Bluetooth right away before it asks to pair all over again. The lights on the controller should stop flashing. Turn Bluetooth back on.
6. Press PSX button once and should pair in bluetooth right away. The lights will start flashing again and stay flashing all the time. They turn off when you disconnect it from bluetooth or turn bluetooth off.

Edit: I got the controller to be connected and lights off. After step 5, plug controller in USB, the lights should be flashing (slower though). Press the PSX button once, unplug USB, controller will pair in few seconds and lights will turn off.

Cannot get this to work for some reason, at step 6 it asks for the pairing code again. After a few times of repeating this I decided to stop since I was going in circles.

Any advice? I can't get it to work via USB either, and I have the driver installed.

levifig

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ames, IA

I can't, for the life of me, get the "Add to favorites" option… :S

loadedsith

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
Thanks Mark.

Here's where "add to favorites" is, i wouldn't call it a button, rather a list view selection... Ha!

bluetoothAddToFavorites.png

Effects!

S3R6i0

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Update

So all indeed to do is just plug it in? I'm trying Jedi knights 2 on my MBA 2011 and it's not working.

No. I was wrong! My apologies. But, Mark427 might have your answer at the bottom of this page and it worked for me.

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
Well it looks like I just got this to work attempting to follow Mark's instructions. Having a 2011 Mini with only bluetooth input devices, I had to dig up a wired mouse in order to maintain control of the computer. Plugging in the wired mouse apparently fixed the issue, because I went through the "add to favorites" and "update services" step (with the mouse plugged in from the beginning), and immediately upon clicking update service the PS3 controller turned off, but did stay in my list of bluetooth devices, listed as not connected. Turned it back on and everything's working. Very weird, but maybe this will help someone else...

calvincho

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Did I miss something important:confused:

Thank you for your solution. This really brings me a hope!:p
However, I don't know what to do in the STEP 3. How to enter the Passcode?
I received a window like this.

attachment.php

p.s. I'm using a MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but the device is favorited it just doesn't seem to connect... I actually never got a prompt for any pairing code.

Rjp24.png

I keep pressing the button but no pairing code prompt shows up.

Awwwrigh

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Hey guys i was having the problem of not having it my PS3 controller pair. I followed Marks way of setting it up via blue tooth and still nothing. However the problem with asking for the password in order to pair was fixed. It no longer wanted me to add a password. My game still was not working with the PS3 Controller. I got it to work though! All I did was restart my emulator and it worked via bluetooth! I have a 2011 MacBook Pro Lion OSX. Hope this helped Enjoy wireless gaming :)

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Hey all... I'm not getting anything on my Mac when I press the PS button on my controller. Either by itself or with the cable plugged in. Am I doing something wrong?

dariogaitan

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Pairing as keyboard!

I tried marks solution but my problem is that my ps3 controller is being detected as a keyboard and the way to pair it is to type some numbers (which obviously I cant do it with the controller) please if you know anything about this new problem let me know, I would apreciate it :)

----------

my problem is that my ps3 controller is being detected as a keyboard and the way to pair it is to type some numbers (which obviously I cant do it with the controller) please if you know anything about this new problem let me know, I would apreciate it

anonnymouz

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
Gamboa, Cairu, Bahia, Brasil
What is it guys, no one has the answer?

I've just made a Lion clean install. None of updates yet.

It still recognizes the PS3 controller as a keyboard, but why???

How could I type the passcode on the controller??? :confused:

If someone knows how to solve this, please, let us know.

letsgocaps

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
This worked!!!

This worked perfectly for my mid 2011 MacBook Air! However support and mapping is not available through the Lion OS so i had to download GamePad Companion from the App Store($7.99) to help map buttons for the Steam version for Portal 2. NOT PERFECT but it works, sorta... Still having problems mapping the left joystick properly. Please let me know if anyone has successfully gotten the mapping correct for Portal 2 via the Steam Client.

:D[ MacBook Air 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7 running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b) with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3] :D

JxxL

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Canada
Working!

Followed your instructions and working great with GamePad Companion! Late 2011 MBP, Lion 10.7.3

dwells90

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
I cant enter a pairing number

Hi everyone I am using mac osx 10.7.3 I tried connecting my ps3 controller and me macbook recognises the device but when it pops up with the pairing device window I cant enter the passcode, none of my keys do anything. I'm really confused as no one else seems to have this problem, am I just being an idiot???

Screenshot of what is popping up for me:

wtt12.png

Thanks!:confused:

gazzared

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Working here too. Mac Pro (2008) with OSX Lion 10.7.3 Tried it in Darkness II, and works perfectly, except I realise that FPS games are better with a keyboard and a mouse. :rolleyes: :D

Well done to Mark427

clockworks

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
I'm having the same problem as some of the others. Lion is recognizing the controller as a keyboard and asking me type some stuff in. See screenshot:

20120429-rb1fd7iq5a6pth7dbbn31iarc3.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.