Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
My mother has a white macbook and sometimes when we Skype or she tries photo booth the camera does not work, she has to restart the application or reboot the computer for it to work again.

Does anyone know what the fault could be or how to fix it?

Thanks

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
My mother has a white macbook and sometimes when we Skype or she tries photo booth the camera does not work, she has to restart the application or reboot the computer for it to work again.

Thanks

Yes I've had this happen to me before. in my case the green led came on but the camera didn't. A software update fixed it for me, using the software update option from the apple menu. If you are getting no led, then there could be a loose connection, but this would be unlikely to happen, unless the lid of the macbook has been slammed closed repeatedly.

saggel

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Coventry, UK
Yeah it cannot be that because restarting Skype fixes the issue...

I have the same problem... I really can't find what it is...
so I just stopped using the camera... if someone has a solution for that, it'll be fantastic... the camera generally works, but after a while it starts having problems. In my case I don't even need to restart the application, just turn off the camera option in the call and turn it on again!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Is this not likely to be a Skype fault rather than a hardware problem ?

Does the camera work in iChat, FaceTime and/or PhotoBooth ??

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010

Thanks

Well you can't blame Skype for that one.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
The camera never goes off, it just doesn't always initialize.

Sometimes it is simply not sending in the call and it can be enabled by turning it on in the chat window. But sometimes the camera icon is not even visible and Skype needs to be restarted.

It happens in photo booth as well, it will say no camera connected. But this is when Skype was running so it may be Skype that is causing the problem still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.