Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
If I have a family plan on AT&T and there are two individual text messaging plans on it, can I go into an AT&T store and have them change it to one unlimited family texting plan? Presently it's $40 per month for two individual unlimited texting plans whereas the one for everyone on the plan is $30 per month. It's only $10 per month, but there are two other people on the line that don't have texting because they don't want to pay for it. Thanks for the help!

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yes you can go in and add unlimited texting on the family plan for $30 instead of paying $40 for 2 unlimited texting plans

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
You do realize that AT&T's family unlimited texting plan also includes unlimited mobile to mobile calling for any carrier. It used to only be unlimited mobile to mobile to AT&T customers, now it is any carrier. If the other's don't want to use/pay for texting, they don't have to use it, but I believe besides saving $10/month, you are also seeing the mobile to mobile benefit. Just let the others know they have the ability to text if they want to and don't have to if they don't want to. I would do it in a minute, and I actually did some time back.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. Suppose I'll do that today while I am off work.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
You do realize that AT&T's family unlimited texting plan also includes unlimited mobile to mobile calling for any carrier. It used to only be unlimited mobile to mobile to AT&T customers, now it is any carrier. If the other's don't want to use/pay for texting, they don't have to use it, but I believe besides saving $10/month, you are also seeing the mobile to mobile benefit. Just let the others know they have the ability to text if they want to and don't have to if they don't want to. I would do it in a minute, and I actually did some time back.

I definitely jumped on then when the rep informed of it about a year ago when I went from one line to 5 lines.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. Suppose I'll do that today while I am off work.

If you use their online service, you can do it yourself there. Just go to your feature selections and set both individual lines to turn off "Messaging Unlimited" then under the section called Shared Features, turn on "Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling "

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO

This is mostly true. The 550 minute family plan does not qualify for the unlimited mobile to any mobile feature. It is the only plan AT&T offers that does not qualify.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is mostly true. The 550 minute family plan does not qualify for the unlimited mobile to any mobile feature. It is the only plan AT&T offers that does not qualify.

Yes, I noticed that too.
I was trying to add it to that plan and had to get the 700min plan instead.
Even though we dont use over 200-300minutes per month the unlimited calling to any wireless carrier has saved us tons of minutes.
I got like 7000 rollovers.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
why go in just download the att app and do it from there. you can also pay your bills with it.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
It used to be the only way to have 4 lines on a family plan the smallest plan you could have was the 700 minute. I don't know if that has changed, but since someone has posted a 550 plan, I stand corrected. We used to have a 450 minute plan, but when I added the 4th phone, we had to go to the next larger plan which at the time was 700. I've been with AT&T forever and I agree with Applejuiced, we have TONS of rollover minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.