Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
I'm trying to import mail from apple mail into lion os x 10.7.3 and using the wizard in outlook.
Folder appears as 'import'; empty file.
I remember importing into entourage years ago and had to rename the files as a different filetype. That then worked.

Research shows that you cannot import apple mail into outlook 2011. Have over 2,000 important emails that I need to get into outlook as outlook is better than apple mail for my needs.:confused:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I think you have a tough challenge coming your way. As you stated, I don't think theres a way to get your "Important Email" to Outlook. Can't you copy each one by one?

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
How to copy one by one please? Don't get me wrong I'm not keen on going through 2000 emails but it is very important.:)

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
You can import from another application, then select apple mail. Though nothing happens. It just produces empty folder.
Microsoft has it on it's page as a known issue :(.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Copying 2,000 emails would suck but it may be your only option, maybe pick out the most important.

This is why I love having Microsoft Exchange, everything is in the cloud.

If you're interested, I go through 1and1.com as my Exchange server and there servers are never down. I would highly suggest you get an Exchange account that way if you do a Fresh Install you just set-up your Exchange Account on your freshly installed (or new computer) and BAM, your Mail,Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes all sync back to your computer.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Are you sure your mail isn't IMAP? If it is, when you put your account details in Outlook, it will all come through.

(It will do this even if it's POP but your mail will likely be out of sync with what you see in Mail)

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Thank you for all your responses :) and great advice. I am not familiar with exchange servers; I am googling this now.

I don't fully understand difference between POP and IMAP. I thought Pop meant they were stored in your email application whereas IMAP stored on the server.
I thought the way you accessed the info was either POP/IMAP and not the actual email account itself :confused:.

I always was accessing it via POP (as my apple mail is pop). I recently set up my mobile phone for emails, and did this via IMAP. Also recently turning to outlooks interface, setting up the same email acount (same account in this whole thread for clarification) as IMAP.
I'm hoping the emails will stay on the server in-case computer crashes.

Thanks Henry AZ, importing would be brilliant if it works. I'll let you all know how I get on and thanks again for the great advice.:)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I always was accessing it via POP (as my apple mail is pop). I recently set up my mobile phone for emails, and did this via IMAP. ...
What do you mean by "my apple mail is pop"? If you mean the MacOS X Mail email client, then this is simply not true. Mail handles POP3, IMAP, or Microsoft's proprietary Exchange Server 2007 or later with equal aplomb. If you are talking about Apple's me.com and mac.com email services, then those are IMAP.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
Heres my problem...

I exported my mailbox from 10.5.8 and I'm trying to import into Mail in 10.7 but 10.7 said it doesn't recognize the mbox format that I'm trying to import. WTF?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Heres my problem...

I exported my mailbox from 10.5.8 and I'm trying to import into Mail in 10.7 but 10.7 said it doesn't recognize the mbox format that I'm trying to import. WTF?
If I understand your post correctly, then you to use Mail as your new email client. Which email client [name and version] created the mailboxes that you are trying to import? Have you tried File/Import Mailboxes... in Mail? Among the file formats that it recognizes is Microsoft Entourage which is the old name for Outlook.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
What do you mean by "my apple mail is pop"? If you mean the MacOS X Mail email client, then this is simply not true. Mail handles POP3, IMAP, or Microsoft's proprietary Exchange Server 2007 or later with equal aplomb. If you are talking about Apple's me.com and mac.com email services, then those are IMAP.

Thanks, I mean I have the email client (apple mail) set to POP3 settings. When I spoke to my web server they told me to set up as IMAP. That way the emails will stay on their server.
As it is set to POP3 then what is happening the email client set to POP3 (apple mail) is actually downloading or pulling the files from the server and then deleting them on the server.
The way he explained to me was IMAP downloads emails but leaves the original email on the server. Is this not the case?

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
You confuse me. To setup as IMAP, go to your mail provider's tech support page, locate its email settings for IMAP, and then enter those into Mail.

Thanks, but that isn't the problem. 'I always was accessing it via POP (as my apple mail is pop). I recently set up my mobile phone for emails, and did this via IMAP. Also recently turning to outlooks interface, setting up the same email acount (same account in this whole thread for clarification) as IMAP.'.

I think I've deviated a little off topic with the difference between POP and IMAP.

I'm trying to backup my emails from apple mail (which was pop) into my new email client (outlook) which is now configured as IMAP; (formats don't really matter here I think) and sorry to confuse.

I think my only option to backup my emails from apple mail 5.2 into outlook 2011 is via http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
emailchemy I can't seem to get it to work properly or do what I want; I can't believe this is such a chore :mad:.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Can anyone help

In this day and age it must be possible to import emails from apple mail into outlook 2011?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
In apple mail lion (ver 5.2) you cannot export as .mobx :(.

When using Mail in Lion, I highlight the folder, select Mailbox, Export Mailbox (in this case my Inbox), and I get a folder in the selected location named Inbox.mbox. Inside of that folder is a file named mbox, and that is an mbox-format file of all the mail in the original Inbox.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Thanks Henry, I've done this and no matter what I cannot import apple mail into outlook 2011

I don't have Outlook available to try it out. Did you try renaming the file that Mail exports (in mbox format), so it actually has a .mbox extension? Mail exports a folder hierarchy (a folder named INBOX.mbox). Inside that folder is the mbox formatted file with the mail, and the file is named simply "mbox". I would take that file away to another location, and rename it to be Inbox.mbox, then try to import that file only.

Microsoft traditionally looks at a file's extension to judge content. If it cannot find email in an actual file with .mbox extension, that might be an issue.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
I don't have Outlook available to try it out. Did you try renaming the file that Mail exports (in mbox format), so it actually has a .mbox extension? Mail exports a folder hierarchy (a folder named INBOX.mbox). Inside that folder is the mbox formatted file with the mail, and the file is named simply "mbox". I would take that file away to another location, and rename it to be Inbox.mbox, then try to import that file only.

Microsoft traditionally looks at a file's extension to judge content. If it cannot find email in an actual file with .mbox extension, that might be an issue.

Thanks I tried that, when you rename it just messes up. That worked for me on previous entourage and old mac but this is on Lion.

Tietexier, thanks for that link. I tried opening a gmail account but, I have the mail as pop on my applemail (did have, it is now IMAP). Every time I load it to get old emails I need to turn off internet connection :(.
If I could find a way to transfer the emails from the pop account into the imap account in apple mail then maybe I could do something. Actually thinking about it I don't think that would bring me much benefit :(.
So disapointed with this day and age of syncing I am having this much grief.:mad:
Thanks for everyones input :).

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I switched from Mail to Outlook a month or so ago, mostly because my workplace supports Exchange and because I wanted to access my email and schedule in one application. Getting all my archived email into Outlook was a huge pain, since it wouldn't import the mbox files exported from Mail. I had to buy a third-party app, Emailchemy, to process them first, and that was a time-consuming, manual process.

I did eventually migrate all my archives and began to use Outlook. After a couple of weeks, though, I decided to switch back. Fortunately, getting my archives back from Outlook to Mail was easy.

Both my corporate and personal email accounts are IMAP. I keep both inboxes as empty as possible. As I deal with messages, I file them locally if I think I might want to refer to them later.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Thanks Roller. I also tried emailchemy; had no luck with it though. Tried it ten times and couldn't get it to work. Had to just give up in the end.

Amazed at the poor integration; especially nowadays. I'm having to log off and revert to apple mail when I need to retrieve old messages.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.