Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Here's a comment that was posted on the video that I thought you guys might want to know about:
krhcolorado said:
I know the driver & passenger. No one was injured. Just banged up. A vehicle ran the red light on 13th and hit them as they were going down Speer at 35 mph. He hit the tail end of their jeep, spun them out, and that threw them into the creek. They hit a tree on the way down. That straightened them up a bit. That's why they didn't go off at much of an angle. They are grateful to the witnesses who were so amazing, particularly the man who jumped down into the ditch and helped them out of the jeep. They are also so grateful to the fire fighters, the police, and the paramedics. It was a traumatizing, unexpected event and people should be aware of how quickly something like a vehicle hitting the back of your car can send you plummeting into a creek. Lucky they didn't flip over and that there wasn't much water in the creek!

You know what they say about assuming... I assumed it was a product of reckless driving on the Jeep driver's side. I guess I was wrong!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Your power to weight ratio is off based on the movements displayed and you attacked the ice incorrectly.

I'm not exactly hip to all the high-level cycling stuff but perhaps you can explain how power-to-weight ratio (which I thought is an indication of a cyclist's efficiency) has a relation to attacking ice (which is a cycling technique). And if you think his ratio is way off, what do you suggest he does to adjust it?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Here's from today. It's a ride that I've never done, and I think I really like it. It's still processing, so give it a minute or so.
Go to 21:26 to see a guy who passed us with double yellow lines.

Last edited:

clownbaby

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Here's from today. It's a ride that I've never done, and I think I really like it. It's still processing, so give it a minute or so.

What is the significance of the guy passing you?

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
Cars get too close, you complain. Cars cross the double yellow to give you the proper 3' you want, you still complain...

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
That is a tough situation to be in as a driver as well as a cyclist. I respect that you want your proper space with drivers observing that there is a cyclist in the road.

This instance seems to have been handled correctly. On a small country road which is most likely around 45-50 mph, cars are going to pass you and are going to have to cross into the other lane to do it. Granted, the turn or curve in the road is one of the worst places to do it, no harm was done. The car waited for on coming traffic to clear, and then gave you plenty of space while passing.

I am an avid cyclist and ride everyday in an urban environment. I have seen much worse. This is nothing to get up in a fuss about. If you did not cross the yellow line, and gave you 1 foot or less of space, then there is a problem.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Sorry AlphaDogg but just get on with it. As long as you have enough room, which it seemed you did in the video, I dont see any reason of complaint.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
YouTube: video

In Québec it's legal to pass cyclists and slow vehicles (with the triangular sign) on a double yellow line, provided it is safe to do so. I would bet it's the same in the US.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
In Québec it's legal to pass cyclists and slow vehicles (with the triangular sign) on a double yellow line, provided it is safe to do so. I would bet it's the same in the US.

I just learned that I was incorrect, Denver bike law states that vehicles can indeed pass cyclists on a double yellow line if the motorist needs to do so to provide the cyclist with 3 feet of space.

SO HERE YOU HAVE IT; I WAS WRONG. You might not ever hear me say that again.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
YouTube: video

LOL

I have been riding race bikes for years and am grateful when people give plenty of space. You should stop shouting at cars and complaining about slight upward inclines and worry about keeping up with your friend! :cool:

He was off in the distance most of the time, you should be riding right behind him!:p

To make the situation more comical, I just realized your username is AlphaDogg.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
LOL

I have been riding race bikes for years and am grateful when people give plenty of space. You should stop shouting at cars and complaining about slight upward inclines and worry about keeping up with your friend! :cool:

He was off in the distance most of the time, you should be riding right behind him!:p

He has a ~15lb Bianchi aluminum/carbon road bike with cartridge bearing everything. I have a ~26lb aluminum hybrid bike with a road setup and regular bearings. I was averaging 14mph and he was averaging 18mph. I haven't done much climbing. When I start doing this route a lot, I think I'll be able to take on his speed (even with my inferior bike).

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, I like the styling, keeping it classic.

Here's my classic race bike, it's actually 16 years old!:cool: Testament to the brilliance of Gary Klein's technology!

5744736783_2ba414f9de_b.jpg

AlphaDogg, I just read more of this thread, if you want to start doing centuries, I would suggest getting a bike with drops, or at least bullhorns. This is because you have more hand positions to battle fatigue.

For the record, that guys wasn't tailgating you, he over took you very quickly.

If I lived there, I wouldn't ride on that sidewalk, even if it is meant to be used for pedestrians and bikes. It's too dangerous to ride near pedestrians. When riding at 40-50KM/h, I don't want to be anywhere near people walking dogs, or children. I want to be with the cars where I can ride fast!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I'd be careful with those carbon spinergy's. They have been known to fail.. Something with the carbon spokes cracking... But that frame is HOT. Internal cable routing, I see. And yes, I want a road bike with drops, but I can't afford it right now... Maybe in a couple years. Also, that path that I was on (not a sidewalk... It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in Denver) is mostly a cyclepath. There are some pedestrians on it, and they have to follow the rules of the path (as do cyclists), as written on signs posted every 5 or so miles.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
He has a ~15lb Bianchi aluminum/carbon road bike with cartridge bearing everything. I have a ~26lb aluminum hybrid bike with a road setup and regular bearings. I was averaging 14mph and he was averaging 18mph. I haven't done much climbing. When I start doing this route a lot, I think I'll be able to take on his speed (even with my inferior bike).

Ok, keep riding as much as possible then. I think soon you will be thinking about getting a road bike though.

That is the usual progression of the sport. My first road bike was a flat bar road bike too!

----------

I'd be careful with those carbon spinergy's. They have been known to fail.. Something with the carbon spokes cracking... But that frame is HOT. Internal cable routing, I see.

Everything has been known to fail. There is waaaaaay too much hype on the internet about Rev X failures. It's only the first designs that failed, actually at the hub, which leads to a loss of spoke/blade tension and wheel failure.

This set is the final edition they made. 11 years old wheels and still going strong!:cool:

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Everything has been known to fail. There is waaaaaay too much hype on the internet about Rev X failures. It's only the first designs that failed, actually at the hub, which leads to a loss of spoke/blade tension and wheel failure.

This set is the final edition they made. 11 years old wheels and still going strong!:cool:

Nothing wrong with riding them, they are strong.

BUT, when they fail, they fail HARD. My friend had one and it completely disintegrated.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I don't believe we can embed Vimeo videos so here is a link to a ride I recorder with my GoPro

http://vimeo.com/28553377

Thanks for watching!

Well... the only one I have online is me getting sudo-hit by a car.

If you really want to see it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBhdSKxcb8

Oh my woooord. If I had to ride in these situations i'd probably cry.

I don't know how you guys can ride so close to cars and people.

I only have to encounter cars at maybe 3 stoplights and then a few parking lot exits on the path I use and I can't even count the number of times some turd almost hit me.

I am very aware of what's going on around me and sometimes i'll even stop when I know the car has to stop. It's just such a pain when you get into a rhythm and you have to stop when you shouldn't have to.

One woman argued with me about who was in the right.. I was crossing a parking lot entrance/exit and she was making a left hand turn in to the parking lot.. I looked, like I always do and there were no cars immediately turning or even getting in to the turning lane, so she was going pretty fast. I had to brake so hard, I nearly flipped. Luckily I wasn't going terribly fast when it happened, because I had to stop for a light previously.

Just a thought......maybe it would be better if you mounted the camera on your handlebars instead of on your helmet? So much bobbing around......

For the parts of the video that was steady, it looks cool.

This. I felt dizzy after watching a small portion of the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.