Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
No Siri, No 8M camera, No quadcore. Well I am not complaining. I am sure it will sell fast and people will line up for it like crazy. The screen upgrade alone is probably worth the upgrade.

I like their product, just don't like their way of doing business not going all out, but always just give enough upgrade as long as it is enough to get users upgrade.

It's Apple's way and has been for the last decade. This is an incremental spec upgrade but Apple zealots will still lap it up as a major redesign.

I'll probably buy one because I'm bored and it might be useful for work, but if I had bought an iPad 2 I wouldn't be sad. Especially if you don't want to pay for data charges.

I bought an iPad 2 for someone last year and they are perfectly happy with the device, including the screen

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Ok, truth be told the weight isn't the big thing that bothers me, you got me there (I was just pointing out it is getting bigger rather than smaller). It's more the size. The fact that it won't fit in my pocket or in my purse means I have to carry something extra just to carry it around. And if I have to do that, I'd rather just take my laptop which dimension wise won't really require me use that much bigger of an item to carry it around. The extra weight is worth the much better functionality and full OS imho with full fledged programs rather than stuff compromised to be more mobile.

Yea, I gotcha. Just pokin' some fun :) Especially if your work demands OSX, the MBP 13" is a great little machine to take around with you.

Now cue the MBP rumors :)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Alas, for three years in a row apple has decided to stick the same storage on the ipad. 16/32/64 gb constant for three years is a first in apple devices, or for that matter pc makers device that at some point or other get a storage bump. This has been discussed a lot here about what a 16gb model (14.5 gbs actually) can hold, about 3 textbooks, 2 movies, and one game, that's about it... Sure it's great to have such great display but if you can barely use the device to store anything what good is it for? Yet apple still think the ipad with all its versatile functionality can have equal storage with the ipod nano...what a sham...

I will buy an ipad for sure for the retina, but this is disappointing news, albeit expected news. I hope the news on the ram front are not equally disappointing.

Agreed with the capacities, Apple was once a capacity leader and now they have fallen, at least the androids have expandable space. At least add that if they dont want to add space.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Started off good, then got boring. Maybe we overhyped this new iPad.

No quad core CPU
No 128GB option
No Siri
No haptic display
16GB still base

Thinking now is as good a time as ever to get an iPad 2.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry Apple, but I guess I won't be giving you my money this year for an iPad if there's no 128GB version! Instead, it'll be going on a FonePad or the updated version of the Transformer Prime! Oh well, better luck next year, unless there's a new iPod Touch coming out...
Gee I wonder how many of these posts we're going to see today....of all these people who were going to buy the new iPad but because it doesn't have X they're going to buy some Android tablet instead. :rolleyes:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Agreed with the capacities, Apple was once a capacity leader and now they have fallen, at least the androids have expandable space. At least add that if they dont want to add space.

apple is pushing to icloud. You won't be seeing a lot more local storage.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I'm only 5'8", and I'm pretty sure I hold the iPad at around 15"... possibly even further.

And I don't see the point you're making about the iPhone. Obviously pixels that are indistinguishable to the retina at 10" would still be indistinguishable at 12"

The point about iPhone relates to the fact that Apple said that because the screen to eye distance changes from 10" to 15" (iPhone to iPad) lower PPI density on iPad still qualifies for Retina moniker. I believe they stretched the truth here in both directions (10" is too short and 15" is too long)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Too much talk! Not enough credit card charging! :mad:

Open the store up, for christ's sake.

Kev052683

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
Then the store comes back and it's available for pre-order? Would it be reasonable to try at say, 5:00 PM EST?

No one can tell you when the store will be back up. Just keep checking back if you can manage to get it to load while the servers are getting pounded.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
It's Apple's way and has been for the last decade. This is an incremental spec upgrade but Apple zealots will still lap it up as a major redesign.

I'll probably buy one because I'm bored and it might be useful for work, but if I had bought an iPad 2 I wouldn't be sad. Especially if you don't want to pay for data charges.

I bought an iPad 2 for someone last year and they are perfectly happy with the device, including the screen

Considering this is a major upgrade I see many people moving from the iPad 2 to the new iPad.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Are we sure it's nt a quad core CPU? I thought the CPU and gpu were tied, so if it's quad core graphics it would have to be quad core CPU?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I miss the old days when these keynotes actually introduced great products with groundbreaking hardware and features.

For you Apple noobs, take a look at this video of the introduction of the 17 and 12" PowerBook G4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iGTDE9XqJU

Steve used to introduce several new things in a single keynote. They didn't talk about software and games and apps for 30 minutes.

I don't know. I remember plenty of Steve keynotes where he spent ages demoing iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto and I stupidly watched through all of it just to see the one cool thing that would be at the end...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.