Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Wow!

Folks at Samsung can not be happy.

Same price points, with 3G included in lower points. Doubled processor, quad pixel improvement and same battery life? Holy %#$@. Sold!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No quad core cpu, the gbu. Just look at apple.com, It has the details up now

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
No Siri, No 8M camera, No quadcore. Well I am not complaining. I am sure it will sell fast and people will line up for it like crazy. The screen upgrade alone is probably worth the upgrade.

I like their product, just don't like their way of doing business not going all out, but always just give enough upgrade as long as it is enough to get users upgrade.

ARGH!

Why do people always insist on going with this logic? Apple make choices, same as every other manufacturer, it's just that they place the values away from pure specs. 8MP camera, f'instance, will likely have worse low light performance than a 5MP unit with the same optics and sensor size. So put a 5MP sensor in and you don't need to sacrifice design to squeeze in a flash. Siri would be nice but non-tech users will get confused when it can't work with no network connection. Quad core processor would (likely) demand more battery life on the current fab size so they go dual core with a quad core graphics and keep the battery performance.

It's not about denying users the best tech, it's about making compromises that best suit the majority of their customers and guess what, that ain't spec geeks.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Started off good, then got boring. Maybe we overhyped this new iPad.

No quad core CPU
No 128GB option
No Siri
No haptic display
16GB still base

Thinking now is as good a time as ever to get an iPad 2.

A5X Dual with the quad core graphics is better then a Quad Core. Dual is better for almost everything done by almost everyone...higher clock. For the weirdos running 4 apps simultaneously (that actually need CPU At the same time), quad would be better but that's like .0001% of people.

No 128GB...big deal. Get the 64GB and put on your big boy pants. You don't need 128GB of storage. Off-load and On-load.

Siri...who cares.

Haptic Display...prob give you finger cancer.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Gee I wonder how many of these posts we're going to see today....of all these people who were going to buy the new iPad but because it doesn't have X they're going to buy some Android tablet instead. :rolleyes:

Heh, to be fair I just don't want a tablet unless it's 7 or so inches (small enough to be decently more portable over my macbook) and able to be held comfortably in one hand (I just want a glorified ebook reader, big bonus if it is an Apple product that will integrate well with my other apple products and so far nothing has come out that makes me feel I want to pay extra over it rather than just use my iphone. Even the Kindle fire I have one big issue with, which is too heavy. Actually I would really love it if Apple came out with the smaller ipad if it was good for use in one hand because I'd love to have a mini ipad that also ran my iphone games or ipad games ;) as well as be an ebook reader. But the ebook reader for me would be the thing that would have me bother buying a tablet. Otherwise my iphone is enough honestly.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
While the software talk might not e useful the new tech here is amazing.

I miss the old days when these keynotes actually introduced great products with groundbreaking hardware and features.
I guess we need to use KISS with you but the tech is in the screen.
For you Apple noobs, take a look at this video of the introduction of the 17 and 12" PowerBook G4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iGTDE9XqJU

Steve used to introduce several new things in a single keynote. They didn't talk about software and games and apps for 30 minutes.

Ok what isn't new about the screen, the new processor, dictation and a host of other new features on iPad3?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
It's an iPad event but they've spent most of their time talking about the new software! Ugh!

that's cause there's not that much to report on. I don't care about the software, I want to know when I can log on and GIVE THEM MY MONEY for a pre-order....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Started off good, then got boring. Maybe we overhyped this new iPad.

No quad core CPU
No 128GB option
No Siri
No haptic display
16GB still base

Thinking now is as good a time as ever to get an iPad 2.
I can understand being bummed about Siri or no 128GB option but haptic display? WHen was that ever a serious/credible rumor? First I heard of it was today. It's so annoying when blog sites hype something to the hilt with a bunch of unconfirmed rumors and then are all :( or :mad: when Apple doesn't deliver on every one of them.

jgayman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
No, they'll be upscaled.

What about basic apps like email? Will the text now be very tiny? You know, like when going from a laptop with a 15" 1280x960 screen to a 15" 1920x1020 screen suddenly normal "text" gets very small and hard to read.

Like in the days of CRTs, the larger the screen the smaller the text.

My parents have an original iPad and was thinking of upgrading them but do not want to create a situation where they cannot ready the screen.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
They said very clearly it has a quad core GPU!

I've heard about 3-4 people now complain about no Quad Core... I'm pretty sure they said that it DID have it! :S

Every single site on the net is reporting the same thing. How can people not grasp this?

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
No Siri, No 8M camera, No quadcore. Well I am not complaining. I am sure it will sell fast and people will line up for it like crazy. The screen upgrade alone is probably worth the upgrade.

I like their product, just don't like their way of doing business not going all out, but always just give enough upgrade as long as it is enough to get users upgrade.

They just have quad core GPU you right? still dual core processor?

tsivah

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Shipping

How soon after Friday the 16th will the iPads be at our doorsteps? Will they be delivered day-of?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
A5X Dual with the quad core graphics is better then a Quad Core. Dual is better for almost everything done by almost everyone...higher clock. For the weirdos running 4 apps simultaneously (that actually need CPU At the same time), quad would be better but that's like .0001% of people.

No 128GB...big deal. Get the 64GB and put on your big boy pants. You don't need 128GB of storage. Off-load and On-load.

Siri...who cares.

Haptic Display...prob give you finger cancer.

I'm just saying, Apple could have hit it out of the park and instead it's a base hit. It is an improvement? Sure, but it's a marginal one. If the iPad is supposed to be replacing PC's, 16GB is a joke...should be a minimum of 32GB.

The screen is the only thing that excites me, can't wait to see it in person.

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
Gee I wonder how many of these posts we're going to see today....of all these people who were going to buy the new iPad but because it doesn't have X they're going to buy some Android tablet instead. :rolleyes:

It's called "being realistic", my cynical friend!:D Maybe you should try it sometime, because not everybody is a Sheeple.

Apple makes good products. I own a iPod Touch myself, but I'm not an Apple Sheeple who bought it because of the brand name, I bought it because of what it could do. As I said in a previous post here, I'm more into specs than the brand name and whether you like it or not, there ARE people who will buy a product because of its specs rather than brand name, myself interested.

I would have definitely bought an iPad this year, but seeing as it's nothing more than one of Apple's smoke and mirrors incremental upgrades, I'll pass on it this year and let everybody else buy one while waiting till next year to see if Apple brings out one with 128GB of storage. Look at it this way, there may be people who think that 64GB is more than enough, but for a lot of people, they'll always want more storage for things like books, music, magazines, etc and 64GB isn't going to cut it in this multimedia age!

I know if I was running Apple, I'd definitely give the customers what they say they would want because it's good business, and if that means 128GB or more of storage, then so be it. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't an Android tablet coming out in the next year or so which would have 128GB of storage built-in.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
I'm not sure what I'm expecting or wanting in in iPad but I still see no reason for me to get one. Maybe next year will do it...

Still happy with my 4S.
Same here. Don't see anything special in an iPad at all.

Maybe I'll ask for one for my birthday or something if there's nothing better to ask for or something though.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Resolution

Many of us professionals who have been using Apple products have been wondering why Apple hasn't produced Resolution Independent displays/OS X support (now termed "Retina"). Snow Leopard beta's had hints of it that were never realized. Perhaps this was due to the development for iOS and iDevices at the time as Apple doesn't hire more employees but shifts them to needed departments, as was the case with the delayed Leopard launch in 2007.

Now we have the ability for retina/R.I. on a new iPad. Why not on a dedicated display line? This is not due to the "shrinking" "post-PC" era. I question these statistics. More people are buying iPad's and such as it's cheaper but that doesn't mean [generally] a lot less people are buying desktops (and if they are it may be because Apple is dropping the ball on desktop systems aside from the iMac - which is still considered a consumer product). Try film editing on an iPad or even a top of the line iMac. It's difficult, especially with high-resolution digitals (my 12-Core Mac Pro chugs along with FCP7 work, couldn't imagine working on an i7 iMac). Two displays is standard for pro's. We still exist.

Apple, love your iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro, but please, please, please put some of those billions in cash reserve to improve and market the desktop industry. It's not dead, it's neglected, and needs some of your genius and marketing. We may be small in numbers, but businesses, studio's, etc have lots of money to spend, don't neglect us in this self-termed "Post-PC era."

/end rant :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.