Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchaiguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Hey all! I have three mac minis as servers running 10.7.3 almost flawlessly. Everything works great but every once in a while (a couple times a week) our HP PCs drop their SMB connection to the Lion File Server. This is a production environment so the HPs are on 24/7. I have looked through the log files and can't see what is going on.

The HPs are running 2003 Server and I mapped the network drive just fine. For the most part we can access all the data great without any issues. But like I said, every once in a while the HPs act like they can't see the fileserver, and get really slow. The only way for this to be solved is restarting file-sharing. I would prefer not to do this every time our PCs disconnect. I have tried command line restarting smb and that didn't do it either.

Any hints as to why there is some stability issues? Should I be looking into install SMB3 on top of the Lion Server to stop this?

Thanks in advanced!

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Hey all! I have three mac minis as servers running 10.7.3 almost flawlessly. Everything works great but every once in a while (a couple times a week) our HP PCs drop their SMB connection to the Lion File Server. This is a production environment so the HPs are on 24/7. I have looked through the log files and can't see what is going on.

The HPs are running 2003 Server and I mapped the network drive just fine. For the most part we can access all the data great without any issues. But like I said, every once in a while the HPs act like they can't see the fileserver, and get really slow. The only way for this to be solved is restarting file-sharing. I would prefer not to do this every time our PCs disconnect. I have tried command line restarting smb and that didn't do it either.

Any hints as to why there is some stability issues? Should I be looking into install SMB3 on top of the Lion Server to stop this?

Thanks in advanced!

2003 is running the old SMB service with is not 100% compatible with Lion.

rchaiguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I think I found a workaround

If you don't mind are you running AFP services as well or hosting SMB exclusively?

I was afraid that the 2003 SMB wasn't fully compatible....

I am no longer having the HPs mount the Lion shares, but the other way around. It still disconnects randomly but it doesn't impact the speed. So far it is working okay, I would love to write a script that looks for the windows volume and mounts it if it isn't every hour or so. Any tips guys?

hibernian56

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Try this;
http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

It has been working fine for me so far, SMB has simply been an embarrassment since Lion, it was unstable enough in 10.6.

Apple don't seem to give a damn about Mac customers anymore, they have know about this since release day, and certainly have had plenty of negative SMB feedback from developers during Beta testin gof Lion.

If I hear another "We sold 199 Billion Million iDevices" quote again I'll scream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.