Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaveHole

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
They are probably cleaning the name from numbers to prepare for the 7.85 inch "iPad mini" later this year. Same naming convension as the iPod line.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I am so disappointed. I was planning to get one until I found out, it is not nuclear powered. Now I guess, I will just buy two cans and a nuclear powered string.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Geez how dense can people be? The word "new" was not capitalized. The name is just iPad. Not, "New iPad" or "iPad 3" or "iPad HD". Just iPad. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Yes, and the iPods were just "iPod." Either we have a bunch of new fanboys or everyone has short-term memory loss.

"Which iPod do you have?"

"the iPod Classic 6th Gen..."

Simple.

cacophony555

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
I couldn't imagine buying an iPad 2 for $400 when for $100 more you get:

Significantly better display with twice the screen resolution
A significantly better camera with big resolution jump (1MP -> 5MP)
1080p/30fps video recording
Faster processor
More RAM
Built in dictation

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
They crush the competition because there's not much competition. Android tablets are a joke.

Yet you said this is "Nothing your average Joe or Jane will be talking about in the hallway." and that "at that price range, I think you need a lightning bolt feature to get the masses talking and interested in a $500-800 tablet. "

But this is completely false, everyone will again read about and want an iPad, and they will most certainly continue to shell out $500-$800 for one, so your feigned 'meh' at the new iPad is laughable and completely divorced from reality

lilj4425

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2007
I am so disappointed. I was planning to get one until I found out, it is not nuclear powered. Now I guess, I will just buy two cans and a nuclear powered string.

Forget that. The new Ipad was supposed to get me free beer. I'm pissed. :mad:

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
Maybe now...it used to bring up the closed page, now it just spins. Or it could be everyone hitting it at the same time.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I bet your mother couldn't make you happy!

I'm a bit disappointed:

1)Retina...ok, cool...it's about time it got better screen rez anyway...this was a given.
It was only a given due to all of the leaks! This is a major technological achievement it is really hard to believe you can't see this.
2)Qaud CPU...boring. How does this affect the vast majority of users (web surfing, email, photo viewing, some apps)? Sure, the 5% of iPad gamers may welcome it, but there will be a new iPad next year...so the CPU bump was expected, too.
That is Quad GPU not CPU and it is mandatory to deliver the performance required to drive the screen. Further GPU use is an integral part of the OS and many apps, it isn't just for gaming. 15 years ago 3D and programmable GPU's might have been only for the gaming community, but that dies about 5 years ago when iPhone highly leveraged the GPU.
3)Better camera. Again, another tech spec update.
Actually I don't care about the camera either but it is important to some.
4)Siri and dictation. As with every other dictation software package since 1981, I'll believe it when I see it. I think the world believes that dictation is still a long ways away. Even if it works somewhat well, I have no need for it.
I'm a bit puzzled here also. Frankly I kinda wish that all of the Siri functionality was added. As to dictation why not wait and see?
5)Apple keeps citing all sorts of "mobile" examples as if the iPad is being used by 90% of the owners in a "mobile environment" like in the car, walking down the street, etc...on cell networks. Um, no, the majority of iPad owners are not using them in this "mobile" environment. Used at airports? Sure. Used on a train ride? Sure. But those are the exceptions. I would gather, for numerous reasons (higher price of iPad, cell network data plans/pricing, reality of cell network speeds, etc), that iPad owners are using iPads in WIFI spots and very likely at home or on vacation. Again, not using it as an iPhone/smartphone.
Yeah OK, but your perspective is a minority one. iPad is highly portable and is used in that manner by many. For me it has replaced much of my newspaper reading and newspapers are highly portable.
I think Apple's wheels are spinning a bit here on the iPad...they seem to try to push the whole "it's the best gaming platform ever!!!" mentality (when it isn't) while also pushing this as some mobile device (sure, it's mobile...but people aren't walking down the street with it surfing the net or making a call).
Well I would hope not. That would be about as rude as the idiots walking the streets on their cell phones oblivious to all around them.

As to spinning their wheels this is a major update to iPad. The screen should be enough to sell the unit but Apple didn't stop there.
My bet is that the competitors see this as generic tech-specs-update while Apple left on the table much better enhancements such as: more iOS features, better iPhoto integration, something new on Facetime (3-way calling?), stereo speakers, and other stuff that I can't seem to think of right now.
You likely can't think of anything due to the troll mentality of your post. As to the OS Apple can update that anytime they want.
The tech specs are welcome...and they WILL ALWAYS arrive every release...but I think Apple missed the boat on actual features that grab your attention.
Features that you can't think of right now, right?
The iPad 3.0 is good...don't get me wrong...but it doesn't have the same awe-shock as the 1.0. Now let's see what the competitors release over the next 12 months and see how much ground they make up.

OK. First off how can they shock anyone when the concept of the iPad has been out for two years now. That would be like saying that laptops should shock with each update. You really are make ing no sense here.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
To preorder or not.. I preordered my 4s and was really annoyed when they came out in the third party retail shops before I even got notice my order had been processed. My phone wasn't even close to actually shipping to me and my order was still at a point I could cancel it so I did, and then walked into a store and bought my new phone.

Hard to know what the demand for these will be in the NZ market, and just how available they will be in stores

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Faster processor
More RAM
Built in dictation

I think thats the idea ;) They want a cheaper model to compete with Android tablets, but know most people will think 'oh sod it' and get the new one instead. Clever marketing.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Shorter version:

"All the upgrades don't really count, they didn't put in any real upgrades"

There is no :rolleyes: big enough.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States

Faster processor
More RAM
Built in dictation

Yeah the iPad 2 pricing seems too high considering what you get for $100 more. At $299 price point they could have wiped out the Kindle Fire/low end tablet market though.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
frustrating isn't it.

I've been trying to get in since the show ended. The iPad 3 will be an excellent update for my iPad 1 if I can ever get it ordered.

The store is getting hammered. Getting "the host has temporarily throttled requests" when trying to connect, mixed with the offline notice. Given that its running on akamai they must be receiving literally millions of hits right now.

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
for those who pre-ordered in the past, does it get to your house ON launch day?
i would hate to pay for it and still have to wait.

If not, i will wait in line from morning to night.

LET ME KNOW!!

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I think the part of today that was a let down is the presentation. It seems like the presentations are getting more boring when they should be more sensational. Can't they keep one thing back so there is "one more thing"?

The discussion about names is kind of stupid to me. Apple has people so caught up in names that they worry about it too much. What other devices or material objects have a 1,2,3,4,4S after them? I can imagine something out there has it, but it isn't nearly enough to get caught up in just calling this device the iPad.

I am sooooooo glad that so many people aren't going to get this upgrade and I soooooooo don't believe most of it has to do with the new features/upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.