Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the introduction of a Retina display on the new iPad, Apple has updated all of its stock applications to support the higher resolution, also adding updates to several of its applications including GarageBand and iMovie. But the company has also filled out the remainder of its iPad versions of its iLife suite with the launch of iPhoto for iPad, a new application offering photo editing capabilities right on the device.

iphoto_ipad.jpg

iPhoto for iPad offers a broad array of photo editing and comparison features, including auto-enhancements such as straightening photos and fixing contrast. Brush palettes offer a number of editing tools including red-eye removal, lighten, sharpen, soften, and darken. iPhoto can handle images up to 19 megapixels.
iPhoto, Apple's popular photography app, has been completely reimagined for iOS to take full advantage of the Retina display and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures on iPad and iPhone. Simple gestures can be used to select and compare photos side by side and flag your best shots. iPhoto gives you full control over color, exposure and contrast, and you simply touch the parts of the image you want to change. You can enhance pictures by adding beautiful Apple-designed effects with just a tap, or apply adjustments exactly where you want them with fingertip brushes. In addition to posting photos to Facebook, Flickr and Twitter, you can beam photos between your iPhone and iPad; stream photos and slideshows to your Apple TV with AirPlay; and use iCloud to publish photo journals to the web and share your stories with friends and family in a whole new way.
iPhoto for iPad launches today and is priced at $4.99.

Article Link: Apple Launches iPhoto for iPad with Photo Editing and Organization Features

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Ha, 'Gallery' is back on iCloud. Welcome back!

Just witnessed the return of Gallery functionality in iCloud. Great to see it back.

Also, interesting 'Beam' option in the sharing options. What's that then?

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Beam seems to be a function for sharing files with a nearby iDevice. Phones have similar apps for sharing contacts etc.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Does iPhoto run on iPad 1? I understand that a lot of those editing operations would be much slower. But can iPad 1 users buy and use this new app?

Note: I do not have an iPad 1, that's why I am asking. My mom does, and the built-in photos app isn't very good for organizing photos. I'm hoping iPhoto is and works on her device.

Edit: i see a reply right before my now saying it's not supported on iPad 1 :(

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks very cool, SO glad I didn't get Photoshop for iPad (even though this release hadn't leaked), particularly since that one is limited to 1600 by 1600. Adobe has to be feeling that fire under their butt right now...

And funny that the Apple webpages for the app are up saying it's in iTunes but the link gives an error.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
iPhoto should just launch with every iPad. Or be free for every iPad.

sartis

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Really?

What kind of stupid limitation is that?

Really? photoshop touch has a 1600 x 1600 pixels limitation

The photo they were editing was from a d300s and the resolution was 4288x2848 and was 12.2MP...pretty awesome if you ask me.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Looks very cool, SO glad I didn't get Photoshop for iPad (even though this release hadn't leaked), particularly since that one is limited to 1600 by 1600. Adobe has to be feeling that fire under their butt right now...

Not really as Photoshop for iPad does things beyond image touch up that iPhoto won't do. Where they they will be feeling the heat is when some of the other 3rd party image editing Apps skip well past that limit. Although expect to see some of these features being "new" iPad only.

Also we may actually see an update for Photoshop that increase that limit... again exclusive to the newer iPad and it's improved graphics capacity.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Would be really cool to use your iPhoto or Aperture Library and have available to make edits and Tag/Rate the photos and they'd go back to the main library.

Then if you wanted, you could save them locally on the iPad/iPhone.

and then be able to view them online would be terrific too.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Does it let us make cards/books/etc??

I think iPhoto is an OK program. iPhotos card/book printing is SUPERLATIVE; that is the true strength of the program, beating to death all Hallmark stores and print services worldwide forever and ever.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Seems like this app is basically a suped-up version of the stock Photos app.

I wonder if Apple will allow us to remove the stock Photos app if we purchase iPhoto?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.