Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fifty.jpg
With the launch of the 3rd Generation iPad, Apple has increased the over-the-air download limit for the App Store to 50MB, up from 20MB.

As noted by AppAdvice, the change is presumably to accommodate larger app sizes due to the new iPad's Retina display and faster cellular data available with 4G LTE. The download limit is now 50MB across all devices, as shown in the above screenshot. This limit affects the maximum size of an App that can be downloaded over 3G or 4G networks.

Developers frequently work hard to keep their apps under the over-the-air download limit, as they believe going over that limit reduces the likelihood of spontaneous purchases.

Article Link: Apple Boosts Over-the-Air App Store Download Limits to 50 MB

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶i̶c̶i̶s̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶,̶ ̶A̶p̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶I̶S̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶t̶i̶p̶—̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶—̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶3̶G̶/̶4̶G̶ ̶L̶T̶E̶.̶.̶.̶

Sorry, I don't own an iPhone, once I read this over, I noticed they already had a lower restriction. So it is raised x2.5. Good news, then!

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
So now you can blow through your capped data limits even faster! Carriers are jumping for joy.

Admittedly though, this is nice for when you want an update on the go (though rarely is there a time I couldn't possibly wait to get home to grab the update).

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Much better than 20 but why they even have a limit and not just a warning is beyond me!

I would think a warning would be a good idea. Maybe they just wanted to reduce complaints or something. ̶D̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶P̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶C̶y̶d̶i̶a̶ ̶t̶w̶e̶a̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶j̶a̶i̶l̶b̶r̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶P̶h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶?̶ ̶i̶P̶o̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶.̶

With my jailbreak, it's unlimited. :rolleyes:

Ah, awesome.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Now if Apple could just figure out how to roll-out a pre-order via a website. How many iPhones and iPads have they rolled out and still an epic fail...

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Maybe some day Apple will allow any size application to be downloaded over-the-air. Then again, I'm not sure what good any of this is unless and until Apple does something to resolve the problem of over-priced and under-sized data plans. Nor did we get any boost in local storage to hold all of these 1080p movies that Apple will soon be delivering.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
This sucks for me. I have a crapy 1GB data plan and often purchase things over 20MB because I know they will queue until I get home to wifi. I will have to be more careful and set reminders to download them at home instead.

Edit:

Also some times games are over 20MB and only on sale for a short time. I buy them knowing it wont download over 3G and I don’t miss the sale.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Love the upping of the limit to 50MB, but it's going to be a sad, sad day when AT&T kills my unlimited plan :(

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Big woop! I believe I should be able to do with my data plan as I wish. If I wish to download a TV programme or film over 3G, I should be able to. I pay for the data after all.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Sweet, one less reason to jailbreak as I download podcasts around 50MB but I'll wait until they allow 3G facetime calls.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
YEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!

I can't believe this happened today that I was about to start trying reduce the size of my new app that is currently 40 Mbytes!!! It just saved me at least 4 days of work!!!

Wooohooo!!! :D:D:D

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
don't you mean, INCREASES the likelihood of purchases?

No they are correct. You ever been away from home and thought about buying an app you saw on some site, etc, only to try to buy it and you get the dreaded "must be on wi-fi BS"? I can't tell you how many times I have said, oh well, I'll get it when I get home, only to forget and never buy the app.

It's a good thing for all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.