Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
It has not drained my battery after one hour of use. Really pleased with that! :p

ScottyBinSLC

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Battery Drain Issues in 5.1

I have noticed significant battery drain issues since updating to 5.1. In the past 23 minutes of use I have fallen from 93% to 79% with limited use; i.e., email check, 4 texts, and settings check. My notifications and location services have been off since the previous iOS offering. Worried problem is worse just when it was barely bearable before. Will try a full wipe and load tomorrow if this persists. BS that a full wipe may be required to work properly(term loosely used)

Will21

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
It has NOT fixed the battery drain issues!!! In fact I believe it's worse. Mine has drained 25% with an hour and half of regular usage. It wasn't this bad before the fix. Actually I can live with this as long as it stops randomly shutting off at a high battery percentage and telling me my phone is completely dead. Ape has sent me 4 4s phones in two months because of this problem. Waiting to see if this newest one will work correctly. My first experience with an iPhone…needless to say I have a sour taste in my mouth for this company's products!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Mine is doing great!!

30+ minutes and still at 100%

6c0f4760-12c9-51c3.jpg

Currently I'm at 70% with 3 hours and 10 minutes of use. So it looks like I'm getting an hour of use per 10%.

coolhands

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Seems better to me, guys!
Never would have gotten this good of battery on my 4s 5.0.1.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 07, 9 15 54 PM.png
    Photo Mar 07, 9 15 54 PM.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 533

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
It has NOT fixed the battery drain issues!!! In fact I believe it's worse. Mine has drained 25% with an hour and half of regular usage. It wasn't this bad before the fix. Actually I can live with this as long as it stops randomly shutting off at a high battery percentage and telling me my phone is completely dead. Ape has sent me 4 4s phones in two months because of this problem. Waiting to see if this newest one will work correctly. My first experience with an iPhone…needless to say I have a sour taste in my mouth for this company's products!

Sounds kind of sketchy to me. Four phones with the exact same problem?

Shield

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Canada
Sounds kind of sketchy to me. Four phones with the exact same problem?

Very sketchy indeed! Also curious that both "terrible battery drain" posters above (Will21, and ScottyBinSLC) joined this forum at the same time on March 7, 2012....both have posted only once....both posted only in this thread....both posted within minutes of each other. Hmmmmmmmmm.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Very sketchy indeed! Also curious that both "terrible battery drain" posters above (Will21, and ScottyBinSLC) joined this forum at the same time on March 7, 2012....both have posted only once....both posted only in this thread....both posted within minutes of each other. Hmmmmmmmmm.

This made me laugh but I have to hmmmm myself on that one sketchy indeed!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I have noticed significant battery drain issues since updating to 5.1. In the past 23 minutes of use I have fallen from 93% to 79% with limited use; i.e., email check, 4 texts, and settings check. My notifications and location services have been off since the previous iOS offering. Worried problem is worse just when it was barely bearable before. Will try a full wipe and load tomorrow if this persists. BS that a full wipe may be required to work properly(term loosely used)

We just got Samsunged by these two...

I hope to hear that the 4S' battery is better.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
It may be better, but the only time I've experienced battery issues was when I've had poor 3G reception. And since I updated when I got home, and I have good reception at home, I can't really confirm if the battery drain issue is better. I'll know more the next time I go to Walmart.

mrquin27

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine is at 45% 5:34 usage with most of it being pretty heavy. Coming from my phone being drained almost that much with no usage I'd say is a huge fix. I'll have to plug it in tonight for use tomorrow but I am waiting to see if my stand by batter drain is fixed. The fact that my phone would go dead in half a day with 0 usage really made me angry.

I guess it's my turn. I never had the battery problem until 5.0.1.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011
Loving this thread but the battery is the same wait until the iPhone 6 comes out an that phone will have a new battery the battery life is the same folks.

mrquin27

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

^ his battery must work.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have not had a chance to test it properly, as it was docked for the upgrade etc. But this morning, it does seem to be draining more slowly. Lets hope they have finally sorted out the battery issue.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I can get almost 2 days out of my 3GS normally. I've been running iOS 5.1 for a few hours and my phone is already down to 64% from 100%. :(

Edit: Interestingly enough, the battery life on my iPad seems better.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Lost about 9% last night on standby but noticed that Bluetooth had mysteriously turned itself back on after the update. Agree we need longer to see if this update has made a difference.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011

Samsung, err Big Brother is watching. :D

asdCLOT

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
have you guys all perform a hard reset on your iphones ? before i reset my phone(no its not restore), the battery was having the same ****** drainage. however, after i did a hard reset and the battery has improved, SIGNIFICANTLY.. i'm not ********ting you. if you havent try a hard reset, no harm trying now :) hold the sleep/wake button + home button until phone switches off and on.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Well, my battery dropped 7% overnight. Normally I will only drop 1% maybe 2% so maybe there is an issue? Will watch it long term and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.