Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it always does when it releases a new product, Apple has produced an elegant television commercial for the new iPad. Unsurprisingly, the ad focuses solely on the retina display, something that Apple feels sets the iPad apart from the other tablets on the market.

The ad doesn't talk about specifications or price. Instead, it shows the iPad being used to edit a photograph, read a book, watch a movie, and draw a picture.
When a screen becomes this good, colors are more vibrant. Words are pin sharp. Everything is more brilliant. Because when a screen becomes this good, it's simply you and the things you care about. The stunning Retina Display on the new iPad.

Article Link: Apple Releases Television Commercial for 'The New iPad'

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
This is a great beginning, but can the new iPad replace a MacBook?

I want to know if I can get by with an iPad in place of the MacBook, or do I need a new MacBook?

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I clicked on this right when it was posted on the website, and was able to see many other selectable videos. Now they're gone!

MiWall81

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wish there were more pixels... : ( psych!

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I can't imagine it replacing a Macbook. Maybe a replacement on the go, but not a full replacement.

Also, is it just me or does the guy in the Ad sound more like he's saying Ratna then Retina? Just an observation, not trying to downtalk the ad. I like it.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA

I want to know if I can get by with an iPad in place of the MacBook, or do I need a new MacBook?

"Real" computers always have a place for me - they are my primary means of doing everything. The iPad/iPhone are excellent, but are naturally secondary devices, the way I see it.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Yes, 10" screen is what we always wanted for our computers.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Does the iPad offer tabbed browsing with Safari now? I'm getting the new iPad, but I think I'm going to update my MacBook soon too.

Yes it does, but you could do it already a long time before by app store browsers such as iCab and atomic, there's opera too that is free.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I like these newer iPad commercials over the earlier ones "iPad does this iPad does that" wayyy agressive!

This is welcoming! In for a 32 GB

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010

If you're even thinking about the mere possibility of replacing a MacBook with an iPad then you probably don't need a Macbook in the first place and can get by with just an ipad.

I guarantee that a lot of casual macbook users don't even tap into 10% of the power of their laptops.

I use mine for development work as a CS major and use my macbook for literally and almost everything.

I see other people though who only use it to browse facebook and maybe type out the occasional essay for class and maybe check their email, all of which don't even need 10% of the processing power of a macbook....I mean I'm exaggerating a bit but the point still stands.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
If you're even thinking about the mere possibility of replacing a MacBook with an iPad then you probably don't need a Macbook in the first place and can get by with just an ipad.

I guarantee that a lot of casual macbook users don't even tap into 10% of the power of their laptops.

I use mine for development work as a CS major and use my macbook for literally and almost everything.

I see other people though who only use it to browse facebook and maybe type out the occasional essay for class and maybe check their email, all of which don't even need 10% of the processing power of a macbook....I mean I'm exaggerating a bit but the point still stands.
So what exactly is everyrhitng that you use it for?:rolleyes:

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

You may think it does not take a full laptop to type a paper, you don't know the [deleted] I put my spellchecker through. Being the laptop of a profoundly dyslexic person who thinks he is a talking dog, must not be fun.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
So whats the story on "The New iPad" and not iPad 3..

It's great I love but it ain't a reinvention..

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Oh dear, Steve hasn't even been gone for that long and Apple is already making huge stupid decisions. The "New iPad"?!?! Are you kidding? Why not just iPad 3 - keep it simple stupid!

What are they going to do when they come out with the 4th iPad model - the "newest iPad" or "new new iPad" or better yet, "new iPad 4". Sheesh, this is retarded.

Aside from that, the iPad itself is pretty cool, I'd be curious as to the quality of the pictures it can take, even though its only a 5 megapixel camera.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Oh dear, Steve hasn't even been gone for that long and Apple is already making huge stupid decisions. The "New iPad"?!?! Are you kidding? Why not just iPad 3 - keep it simple stupid!

What are they going to do when they come out with the 4th iPad model - the "newest iPad" or "new new iPad" or better yet, "new iPad 4". Sheesh, this is retarded.

Aside from that, the iPad itself is pretty cool, I'd be curious as to the quality of the pictures it can take, even though its only a 5 megapixel camera.

The brand is "Ipad". not ipad 7 or ipad 9 which is what would have happened.
Smart company. Is that an Ipad? you can answer yes, it is.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
The brand is "Ipad". not ipad 7 or ipad 9 which is what would have happened.
Smart company. Is that an Ipad? you can answer yes, it is.

Exactly. You'd sound weird saying "I'm waiting for the Macbook Air 7"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.