Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Ok I have to ask: is it really that distracting to have the white bezel for videos and such?

Never even considered this when ordering.

I ordered the white one to change it up, but now I'm having my doubts about the color.

Seems a silly thing to worry about, but I'm very attached to my current iPad 1 and would want a similar/better experience with the newest iPad.

icydog

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
NJ
Ok I have to ask: is it really that distracting to have the white bezel for videos and such?

I ordered the white one to change it up, but now I'm having my doubts about the color.

Seems a silly thing to worry about, but I'm very attached to my current iPad 1 and would want a similar/better experience with the newest iPad.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1335791/

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
I've handled iPads with white and black bezels, and I'm going with a black bezel myself for my iPad 3 because of how much less noticeable the edges of the screen are on an iPad with a black bezel, plus dark borders on images and movies and such will "blend" into the bezel much better.

But a white bezel can look just as good as a black one, in the end it's up to personal preference.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I had always had black but secretly liked everyone else's white . . . Then I bought a white iPod touch for my car's system, and really liked the look.

So, I have a white iPad on the way for March 16th!

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I had the black original iPad and bought the white iPad 2 last year. I LOVE the white. I like how fingerprints don't show up on the bezel, and since the majority of my iPad usage is reading, writing, and surfing, I like the look of it better than the black one.

It just comes down to personal preference.

Looking forward to this year's iPhone so I can get it in white to match now. I skipped the 4s :)

Reactions: crispswish

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Just buy both, so you can switch up based on how you feel that day. :p

I personally like black though, there's a reason why most tv bezels are black, it's because it's less distracting. It "disappears" in use. I'm sure you can get to used to white though.

jjp007

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
TexASS
I've handled iPads with white and black bezels, and I'm going with a black bezel myself for my iPad 3 because of how much less noticeable the edges of the screen are on an iPad with a black bezel, plus dark borders on images and movies and such will "blend" into the bezel much better.

But a white bezel can look just as good as a black one, in the end it's up to personal preference.

Pretty much my decision. I have the white iPad2 but this time I bought the black due to the fact I watch video and think it blends better. It won't match my phone anymore but oh well.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
In my opinion, if you have any doubts about the white, don't get it.
It's gotta be an instant 'yes!', or you might have buyer's remorse forever.

White all the way for me(iPhone and iPad).

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
I don't find the white bezel at all distracting. That said I ordered black this time round so it looks nice next to my iMac :p

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I have only had black ones before, so this one I have gone for white, use to mix it up. I don't watch film on mine, just tv sometimes, so not fussed,

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland

I am upgrading from the iPad 1 and was having the same thoughts as well. I originally ordered the white one (without even thinking about it as I thought white was a no-brainer) but I went into the Apple store this morning to have a look at both side-by-side and as much as it pains me (I love white Apple gear) I've cancelled the order and ordered the Black.

To me, the black surround seems to fade into the background of your vision when actually focussing on the screen, whereas you are always aware of the surround with the white one. I tried a few different things (iBooks, Videos) and it just seemed better with the black surround for whatever reason.

Of course it's personal preference as others have said, but having seen and used both my preference is for black. I love my white iPhone 4 but I just think the iPad suits black in terms of how it feels to actually use.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I ordered a white iPad within minutes of the store opening.

Thought about it....thought about it....

I cancelled two hours later and bought the black.

This article changed my mind.

Basically, I don't want to be distracted by a white bezel when watching movies.

I was very surprised to read how many fellow movie lovers felt the same way.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Had a white iPad 2 and ordered a black one this time. The white was great for iBooks and web surfing; however, it was distracting for games and looks horrible when off IMO. Plus it was harder to sell my white iPad 2... black for resale also.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I ordered a white iPad within minutes of the store opening.

Thought about it....thought about it....

I cancelled two hours later and bought the black.

This article changed my mind.

Basically, I don't want to be distracted by a white bezel when watching movies.

I was very surprised to read how many fellow movie lovers felt the same way.

I don't find the white bezel distracting at all. Some people are more anal than others I guess so I can see where it might bother a few. The great thing about the white is that you can't see fingerprints on it.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
So torn right now. I have a black 1st gen right now and I intended to go with a white one this time around but this thread (and others) have me reconsidering.

I predominately use mine for web, movies, and work and each of those tasks seem to be better suited for the black ipad. However, whenever I see a white one either in store or my friends I love the way it looks. I'm thinking I should go with what I know and stick with black.

pdawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Want to thank everyone on this thread (and other similar ones) for all your feedback! As much as I like the white iPad I just could not get over the real possibility of not loving it as I do the black iPad 1.

So this morning I pre-ordered the same one in black and cancelled the white one. Same delivery date of March 16!

I also realized that whenever I've had a chance to order white or black (iPhone, iPod), I have always immediately gravitated toward the black one. So I think this is one user who will stay with black :D

Thanks again!

Xanthos

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
I've always loved the white iPad. I owned the iPad 1 but not 2.

So when the Apple Store opened after the media event, I went straight for the white one.

12 hours and a good sleep later, I called Apple to change my order to black.

I did some research and compared pictures. And after changing my order, I went to the nearest mall to check out both colours and I'm glad I made the switch.

I figured, I love the white one because it's aesthetically beautiful. But I'll probably get sick of it in a month. Practically, the black one is the way to go. As many articles on tech blogs stated, there's a reason why televisions have black frames.

I'll probably envy those with the white iPad whenever I see them on the street, but I rather be envious than having buyer's remorse.

Anyway, during my research, these are the 2 pictures that sealed the deal for me.

ipadbw8.jpg

ipadbw7.jpg

Last edited:

Manilae

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Thx Xanthos, i asked them to change it from white to black after i saw your picture :)

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I'm definitely a black bezel person. Black is basically very good for your eyes since the contrast between screen content and the black bezel will pretty much allow you to have a seamless experience. I would recommend the white bezel for anyone that reads a LOT of books. White is less distracting if you're on white content on the iPad.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've got a black iPad and black iPhone and my wife's got a white iPad and white iPhone.
There's no doubt in my mind that when looked at from a distance, the white devices look absolutely stunning. However, there's also no doubt in my mind that when using them, the black is far less distracting and that's the reason I'll continue to get black iPhones and iPads :)

mszpara

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I've had black iPhones ever since they started releasing white, and ordered a black iPad 3...

Although, as someone stated above, i DO like the look of white, but not when it's powered off.

When powered off there is too much contrast between the white bezel and black screen. The black iPad just looks like a sleek black slate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.