Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Well, I was no big fan of Steve Jobs' keynotes, but I did admire his showmanship. Great Keynotes, no doubt.

But... is it just my perception, or was today's presentation extremely LAME?

I mean, regardless of how excited (or not) one can be for the new iPad, the keynote performers' style, rhythm and general organization was, IMO, just boring.

Or is it that this ***** doesn't bring the same excitement anymore? I mean, the will be "new" iCrap every year, new iOS, new OS X.... all with relatively marginal improvements over its predecessors. Rarely something groundbreaking...

Any thoughts?
I kind of agree. Of course the company is going to hype up their own products as much as they can in the pursuit of boosting sales, but I do remember a time when these keynotes had a sense of magic to them... now it's a little harder for me to distinguish this from whatever show Sony or Toshiba may put on.

I also didn't like how they kept referring to the iPod, iPhone, and iPad as "Post-PC" devices. That's the same stupid buzz-word EVERY major corporation is using these days. Steve Jobs called them "iOS" devices, because that's what they were! They were uniquely apple products, not just part of some supposedly broader wave of technology that's ushering in a "Post-PC" era.

But overall, yeah, the technology and products aside, the showmanship in this presentation was really lacking.

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
is the link some short of joke?

The video is blocked from flashblock, which means it is a flash video?

The requirements say about quicktime and even it show the logo once I unblock it...

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Buying an IPAD3 is a joke today!

Buying an Ipad from Apple has been a joke. Before Mr. Cook decides to come out with IPad89, he should figure out how to get it reliably in the hands of customers.

I ordered one after a few tries, only to find out that my credit card was charged, but no purchase was registered. Made me laugh! A 500 billion dollar company is peanuts when it comes to online ordering.

When I tried calling, you hear pre-recorded "Apologies" that the call volume was high. Maybe we should call this company appleapologies.com.

Just turned off with the whole Apple thing right now!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Tim Cook: A new menu and higher resolution on our appleTV!
The rest of the world: So what?

Tim Cook: There new iPad has new apps and a very high resolution!
the rest of the world: So what?

Tim Cook: Apple, WOOHOO!
one man in the audience: -golf clap-

Seriously, there was nothing interesting about this keynote. The products were not surprising in any way. The improvements were just spec bumps as I see it. It didn't even seem like Tim Cook was excited about this.

Let's face it. This is becoming a hollow ritual in the post-Jobsian era. A high school drama student gets an audience more excited than this.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Does anyone have the keynote file? .avi or something? Doesn't seem like Apple has updated their podcast on iTunes yet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple needs to find a way to work Jony Ive into these events even if there are no major design changes. All over twitter I'm seeing tweets wondering where he was, why he's not part of the keynote, why he wasn't in the product intro video. Sorry to say but Phil Schiller and his marketing team (and even Bob Mansfield for that matter) don't have the same rock star quality that Ive does. Tim Cook doesn't do much for me either but he's CEO so he'll always play a prominent role in keynotes. But sorry to say this event was a snooze fest. Apple, more Jony please!

vxt

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Well, I was no big fan of Steve Jobs' keynotes, but I did admire his showmanship. Great Keynotes, no doubt.

I mean, regardless of how excited (or not) one can be for the new iPad, the keynote performers' style, rhythm and general organization was, IMO, just boring.

Or is it that this ***** doesn't bring the same excitement anymore? I mean, the will be "new" iCrap every year, new iOS, new OS X.... all with relatively marginal improvements over its predecessors. Rarely something groundbreaking...

Any thoughts?

Very true. Until they come up with a whole new device like they did with iPhone . But I doubt something like that is coming anytime soon. Maybe when flexible screens are a reality.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Well I don't think any of us should expect to see keynotes on the level that Steve Jobs did them... He was ultimately known for giving some of the best presentations and being incredible at selling a product... Living up to that is not an easy task.

I did find this keynote a bit boring, the way in which Tim brought on information didn't seem to have the same impact as the way in which Steve did it.

And well, this is just a personal thing which bothers me, but I dislike how much he's used to words momentum and post-pc, not only in this keynote, but the iPhone 4S one as well. But that's just me :p

Regardless, you can see Tim really loves the company as well, and he likes what he does and isn't just "stepping up on stage doing my job and leaving", it seems like he truly does care, and I think that's important... The other guys, Phil, Scott, they can help put on a good keynote too, they've been at it for much longer than Cook.

thai4life

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

WeegieMac said:
Does anyone else wish they could put a handle into Tim Cook's back and wind him up so he goes just a wee bit faster?

Or perhaps Ted Turner could get ahold and colorize him. Even if I didn't know Steve Jobs, I'd still think this guy lacks a certain charisma in his delivery of information.

thai4life

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stetrain said:
What are we to make of the "touch" comment on the invitation? Yes, I understand that the display of the new iPad is beautiful, but what of the "touch" comment? What makes the new iPad more touch-worthy than iPads 1 and 2? I don't understand why they'd deliberately include that word. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

You aren't overlooking, you're over thinking.

It's an iPad. You touch it. That's an important part of all iPads. It wasn't a foreshadowing of some amazing new different touch interaction, just a tagline for an iPad event.

Apple put that line in to deliberately mislead and build up the hype. The first part of the statement turned out appropriate enough. But the "And touch" phrase implied there would be some new touch functionality (ie., touch-sensitive rear casing, radically new touch gestures, whatever whatever). Another classic case of the public being hoodwinked, bamboozled and led astray. They've been doing alot of that lately with these press events --- on both the hardware AND software.

thai4life

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012

diazj3 said:

Any thoughts?

This just in!! All the innovating and revolutionizing will be handled by Google and Android henceforth. Apple is now, and has been ever since ios 4.0 and the iPhone 3GS been relegated to playing catch-up, both in hardware AND software. Based on their last few press events I don't see that trend ending anytime soon. Not even with the release of the next iPhone. Betcha a million bucks it'll be only a slight change in form factor and, even more shockingly, the same 3.5" screen. Mark my words.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I admit that Tim's keynote was quite trying to listen to, I skimmed through most of it. But his enthusiasm is way forced. Regardless, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as it's his first keynote.

It's fairly apparent that Steve's keynotes were a lot more interesting to listen to, much more natural flowing. In time Tim will get that rhythm (I hope).

Buying an Ipad from Apple has been a joke. Before Mr. Cook decides to come out with IPad89, he should figure out how to get it reliably in the hands of customers.

I ordered one after a few tries, only to find out that my credit card was charged, but no purchase was registered. Made me laugh! A 500 billion dollar company is peanuts when it comes to online ordering.

When I tried calling, you hear pre-recorded "Apologies" that the call volume was high. Maybe we should call this company appleapologies.com.

Just turned off with the whole Apple thing right now!

Did you get your iPad yet? Is it reliably in your hands yet? Please let us know how it's going for you!

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada

Or perhaps Ted Turner could get ahold and colorize him. Even if I didn't know Steve Jobs, I'd still think this guy lacks a certain charisma in his delivery of information.

I think Scott Forstal should be their pitch man....at least he has some charisma.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Now I REALLY miss Steve Jobs! This Cook fellow just comes off so awkward during this presentation.

Yeah, he's no SJ that's for sure. And is it just me or was the constant refrence to "post PC devices" seem tacky and unnecessary? Just seems like they're trying a bit too hard. After about 7 minutes I stopped watching and turned Idol back on... The "boringness" of his presentation nearly talked me out of buying an ipad 3. I know Apple likes to use their CEO for these presentations but TC is not nearly as multi-talented as SJ and I have to think there is someone in the Apple organization that can do a better job presenting in the future.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple needs Jony up there to say "we finally figured out a way..." and somewhere throw in "as thin and as light..." :D

alienapp

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2010
I think that there are basically 3 problems to this presentation by Tim Cook.

1) The focus was on the specs. There was nearly no focus on why, someone would want those things.

2) The lack of the element of surprise. There use to be surprises sprinkled through out these events but now, it seems they are more worried about holding back features for the next iteration of their products.

3) It didn't seem like the presenters were having any fun. Its almost like they were forced to be there. I can't feel the passion and love they should have towards their own products. The thing I think Steve had the most.

My 2 cents.

P.S The IPad (3rd Generation) looks great.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Cook was way too serious and imperious.

Invisible Scott Forstall

Long-time NeXT software engineer who actively campaigned to be the next CEO gets banished. :eek:

Post-PC

Cook must have said Post-PC six times in the first minute. Post-PC is a loaded phrase to be used sparingly. In 2012 every Apple copycat is trying to be vertically intergrated - the real hallmark of a Post-PC company.

Serious RAM Cram

Storage on the iPad needs to get to 128 GB to managed serious App collections. At that level iPad would start to canibilize Mac sales.

ncianca

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Totally agree

I think Scott Forstal should be their pitch man....at least he has some charisma.

This wa,s after all, an iOS product Keynote. It would have made perfect sense to hand over to Scott almost completely with Tim only introducing and wrapping up.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Any thoughts?

Thank god that the reality distortion field is finally GONE. It *shouldnt* matter who is presenting the product, the product should speak for itself! It'd be great if consumers were never persuaded by some 'god like' figure (steve jobs) and formulated their opinion of a product based on THEIR OWN assertions.

That said, now that Jobs is gone, we'll really see how the company's products fare.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I have a feeling Forstall and Ive probably didn't want to take part.

The conversation probably went something like this; "I'm going to bow out of this one Tim, I'll contribute to the iPhone 5 keynote in the summer."

Anyway, 'at the end of the day', let the products speak for themselves.

Can someone hazard a guess as to when the keynote will be available to download? I want to watch it on the big tv in the living room :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.