Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Does it control Youtube or Netflix or allow you to do searches on Netflix? If it does I missed that in the description. I always thought it just controlled your itunes library and you could use the play FF volume ...etc..

If I can do searches on Netflix that would be awesome.

Yes it controls Youtube, Netflix, and every other app on the Apple TV. And yes searches in all the apps work with the Remote app.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Question for those that know way more about the Apple TV line -

Why do they not have a 10/100/1000 ethernet card in the device? I for the life of me cant think of why they would not have that functionality.

Thanks to anyone that can share some input

Size and cost probably. Mix in the fact that 10/100 offers around 50 mb/s which is higher than the bit rate BR is recorded at.

How many have wired homes that are streaming ripped uncompressed BR movies? Probably tiny percentage of users.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012

Why do they not have a 10/100/1000 ethernet card in the device? I for the life of me cant think of why they would not have that functionality.

ATV3 does have a 10/100 port. So does ATV2, and probably ATV1. No gigabit. sorry.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Yes it controls Youtube, Netflix, and every other app on the Apple TV. And yes searches in all the apps work with the Remote app.

Amazing! Thanks:) I just got it and it works perfect! great app, only thing missing is seeing the actual apple TV screen on the ipad, but I can live with just looking at the TV.

I bet the voice dictation on the keyboard will work with the new ipad to do searches too!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That doesn't make sense at all. Its a set top box so why would it be forever restricted to only acquiring certain content from a remote device?

By that logic we wouldn't have Movies and TV Shows on there at the moment.

LOL not sure how that would "kill" airplay...

sorry I didn't explain what I meant very well. The point I was trying to make is at the moment Apple have to sell you 2 devices to get Apps on your AppleTV.

The Apple TV is cheap $99. But in order to gain access to apps on your TV you have to purchase a more expensive component (iPod touch, iPhone or iPad).

If Apple allow the $99 device to have access to apps directly it could canibilise sales of other iDevices which are currently required to put apps on your TV via airplay mirroring. This is what I meant about kill airport mirroring.

Apple are great innovators, but they are experts at $$ too. They won't want to lose potential sales of other idevices by allowing apps to run on the AppleTV directly when it is the lowest priced device they offer.

We may see Apps on a more expensive Apple iTV Set, as it will be priced considerably higher that $99, but on this cheap as chips streaming desktop box - I do not see it ever happening directly.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
sorry I didn't explain what I meant very well. The point I was trying to make is at the moment Apple have to sell you 2 devices to get Apps on your AppleTV.

The Apple TV is cheap $99. But in order to gain access to apps on your TV you have to purchase a more expensive component (iPod touch, iPhone or iPad).

If Apple allow the $99 device to have access to apps directly it could canibilise sales of other iDevices which are currently required to put apps on your TV via airplay mirroring. This is what I meant about kill airport mirroring.

Apple are great innovators, but they are experts at $$ too. They won't want to lose potential sales of other idevices by allowing apps to run on the AppleTV directly when it is the lowest priced device they offer.

We may see Apps on a more expensive Apple iTV Set, as it will be priced considerably higher that $99, but on this cheap as chips streaming desktop box - I do not see it ever happening directly.

What's this airport mirroring feature you mentioned?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
If you have ipad 2 or 3 or iphone 4s you can fully mirror what is on those displays to your ATV2 or ATV3. It's airplay mirroring.

LOL. Yeah I know I was joking. He said it was called airport mirroring lol. Anyway I guess you missed that.

----------

I know where your coming from but thats why apple just released a newer apple tv they will probably only release apps on it officially and not the atv 2. Also their gonna make us buy the paid apps again to run on the newer apple tv. I'm sure we will have apps by the fall.

JUMPINTHEGUN

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
What you mean? that option has been there for like forever.

ipad can also do it, stuff you bought before can start to steam instantly while its downloading if you go to the video app.

also stuff you have bought/or rented can start instantly on the apple tv (but that feature isnt new)

I guess I have never messed with it that much other than airplay and some iMac iTunes/ipad to ATV streaming (repurchased and downloaded content)... I bought it, rented a couple of movies, it took 2 - 4 hours to download each before I could watch them, so I just started streaming movies in 1080 from my Xbox360. I would say it was my DSL speed, but the xbox360 streams them...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple TV 3
A5
1080p

Apple TV 2
A4
720p

New interface is available on both.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

They have 10/100. Why they didn't put GigE I dunno, but probably figured since it's just a streaming device it doesn't need that bandwidth.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I believe the old Apple TV technical specs page listed Bluetooth 2.1. The new technical specs page doesn't say anything about Bluetooth. I wouldn't be surprised if it does have 4.0.

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012

I'm going to second what everyone else said about cost and necessity. 10/100 is still fairly speedy and helps apple keep the device under that 100 dollar envelope.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm going to second what everyone else said about cost and necessity. 10/100 is still fairly speedy and helps apple keep the device under that 100 dollar envelope.

True, though as broadband speeds increase (100+Mbps services are already available here) people won't want their local device's Ethernet to be the limiting factor.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
True, though as broadband speeds increase (100+Mbps services are already available here) people won't want their local device's Ethernet to be the limiting factor.

But other than downloading a video directly to the paltry 8-16GB worth of Flash storage, THERE IS NO NEED FOR gb speeds on a media streaming device! And frankly, so what if the handful of people who have 100+Mbps connections can't maximize the download speed, as long as there is enough buffer ahead of the video they won't even realize (since you can download and watch at the same time) that they might have been able to download the video a few minutes faster. Even blu-ray's can't max out the bandwidth of 100mb connection when streamed from a host computer.

So how is this a limiting factor?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Remote HD & aTV Flash

only thing missing is seeing the actual apple TV screen on the ipad

There's an app for that! :) Does require patching the Apple TV, but there's automated solutions available that make it easy.

It's pretty cool, being able to view the Apple TV screen on the iPad. If my son wants to watch a movie, I can get him set up without even being in the room.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
But other than downloading a video directly to the paltry 8-16GB worth of Flash storage, THERE IS NO NEED FOR gb speeds on a media streaming device! And frankly, so what if the handful of people who have 100+Mbps connections can't maximize the download speed, as long as there is enough buffer ahead of the video they won't even realize (since you can download and watch at the same time) that they might have been able to download the video a few minutes faster. Even blu-ray's can't max out the bandwidth of 100mb connection when streamed from a host computer.

So how is this a limiting factor?

More a marketing issue than a technical one - people with 100+Mbps broadband won't want to buy local devices limited to 100Mbps; regardless of whether they actually use that much bandwidth.

Any reduction in buffer times for large videos would be welcome (even if just a few seconds), as would the response times when browsing remote content lists & thumbnails. And the extra speed would be handy for the few times you download iOS updates. But ultimately I think the ATV will have to have greater speed than 100Mbps if the owner has other 100+Mbps devices; it's just a perceived need.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
More a marketing issue than a technical one - people with 100+Mbps broadband won't want to buy local devices limited to 100Mbps; regardless of whether they actually use that much bandwidth.

Show me a mainstream media device/streamer that has more than a 100mb ethernet port. Roku doesn't, the Western Digital Live doesn't, Boxee Box doesn't. About the only ones I know of that do, are the Popcorn Hour's but I'm not sure you can't call those mainstream.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Now I'm really glad that I just bought a new (2nd) ATV2 a week ago on this forum. I have absolutely no need for 1080p (my Samsung plasma is 720p) and I can get the new GUI on my current boxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.