Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
when 5.1 came out?

i remember when 5.0 was announced they showed a notification badge on the settings icon whenever there was an update software, but whenever there is i have never seen it on my iphone or ipad

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I did not get the badge probably because I went to Settings>Software Update before it received the update. But my wife got the badge yesterday evening on her 4S.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I saw one briefly.

I had started the upgrade on my iPad (first gen) without being plugged in. However before it commits the upgrade it will bail out if you have less than 50% battery or are plugged in.

I plugged in, and there was a badge on Settings.

Cool!

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Are you waiting specifically to get a badge to update? Why not just go in Settings and have it find it and then go ahead and update?

call it ocd, i just like it when things work as they should. no im not waiting for the badge i have already updated ;)

iloveiphone4

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I noticed the same thing as OP... this is what happened in 5.0, when 5.0.1 was out, settings showed a notification badge as soon as you checked for the update. So if you tried checking for update and didnt actually download the update, the notification badge was still seen.

When 5.1 update came out, I checked for the update but didnt download the update, the notification badge on the settings icon didnt show up. After I downloaded the update, but didnt update(because battery was too low), the notification badge was shown once again.

I guess thats one of the changes in the settings notification badge display or a bug, who knows...

lironl

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
I noticed the same thing as OP... this is what happened in 5.0, when 5.0.1 was out, settings showed a notification badge as soon as you checked for the update. So if you tried checking for update and didnt actually download the update, the notification badge was still seen.

When 5.1 update came out, I checked for the update but didnt download the update, the notification badge on the settings icon didnt show up. After I downloaded the update, but didnt update(because battery was too low), the notification badge was shown once again.

I guess thats one of the changes in the settings notification badge display or a bug, who knows...

This is what I get, BUT other people do get the badge without manually downloading the update.

When I got a new iPhone recently, the badge icon appeared automatically on Settings. However, after I restored my old iPhone's contents to the new iPhone, the badge icon was no longer there.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I never wait until it shows. I immediately plug my iOS device into iTunes and manually update. It did show on my father-in-laws iPhone 5 when 6.0.2 was released though, if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.