Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Is this bug present with anyone else? I have no current conversations but it has a "1" badge on the dock icon. I understand its beta :p but is there a fix for this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 11.38.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 11.38.08 AM.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 450

illjazz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Tons of people have reported this. I have the same issue. It's a bug I'm sure will be sorted out with the next release.

geopanich

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
North Carolina
I have a similar issue, but on mine I get an unread count of 2 for every 1 message I receive. I'm sure it'll get ironed out in a future release.

musician45x

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Newnan, GA
iMessage Showing One Unread Message

I am having same issue showing one unread message on iMessage for Mac. Glad to know it's only a bug. But tried the restart of computer to see if it would fix as someone posted and that did NOT work in my case. Guess I'll just wait for the bug fix...:(

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Yeah same here, glad to hear it is a common issue. It's the one bad thing with an otherwise brilliant programme. So I guess I can't complain.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Its gotten so annoying that I took Messages off of my dock because that (1) would annoy the crap out of me. Its a nice app, but it needs a lot of fixing. At least its a beta, and it was really nice of Apple to let us give it a try. I use it often when Im working on my computer and don't want to keep switching to my phone to talk to someone.

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2011
Well, I am not sure if iMessage is supposed to work with MSN live messenger. But I remember reading an article saying live messenger will be universally compatible with other chat clients...or it will be open source, something like that. I just tried iMessage with live messenger, no go. :(

BSQRT

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Kill terminal

Open Terminal:
type "killall Dock"
(without the "")

Close terminal.
This should fix the problem.

You may need to repeat this anytime the badge gets "stuck"

Good luck! Hope this helps!!

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, thank you BSQRT!! Worked perfectly!

But just a question, what does this command technically do?

BSQRT

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Re: KillAll Dock

the Command "killall Dock" ends the computer process that runs the Dock, and then restarts it.

Similar to Window's Task Manager-end process.
Glad it worked

NSquared

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Fairfield, CT
Open Terminal:
type "killall Dock"
(without the "")

Close terminal.
This should fix the problem.

You may need to repeat this anytime the badge gets "stuck"

Good luck! Hope this helps!!

Worked for me as well :D Thanks BSQRT, that unread message badge was really messing with my OCD!

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
May be dumb question, but that does end everything running, does it not?

Nope, it just restarts the Dock process, which only serves to display the dock. None of the running programs are affected.

Also, Big thanks to BSQRT as well! I've looked everywhere for a solution to this... My iMessages Dock Icon was stuck at 34 unread! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.