Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LloydStamps

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
I missed Quicken on the list of programs that wouldn't work with Lion and upgrade. I'll install the program to my son's un-upgraded MacBook, retrieve my data (from about 1997), and then...

I want a program that can print checks; download transactions, including PayPal (which Quicken 2007 couldn't do), and put transactions into categories. The reports from Quicken were nice, too, but not as high a priority.

What do you recommend?

After 2 non-answers from Intuit e-mail tech support, and the runaround a year ago about PayPal input, I'd rather use another company's product, but if the consensus here is that Essentials best fits my needs, I'll hold my nose and get it.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I just switched from a PC back to Mac in March. Quicken Essentials works great for me. I am able to track my expenses, manage my checkbook, make a budget and keep track of my 401K. That's all I need.

The only thing I miss from using Quicken 2010 on my PC was that it was able to forecast what I might owe or get as a refund on my income taxes. Other than that, Quicken Essentials is a sound program for tracking the essential financial needs of most people. We're all not investment brokers and accountants.

Old Mac Guy

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
On Line Bill Pay

am the only one who can't use Essentials becasue i need online Bill Pay??? To me that is the biggest problems with this product?

lstone19

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
Don't assume that because a product meets your needs that it meets everyone's needs. There were features of Quicken I never used. OTOH, there were features I consider "essential" that are missing from Essentials so Essentials is a non-starter for me.

I have no need for bill pay or transaction download through my financial software. I want them separate. I enter transactions as they occur, then reconcile when statements come. If I just downloaded the bank's transactions, I wouldn't know if they was something bogus (and while I've never encountered a completely fraudulent transaction, on a couple of occasions, I've caught waiters raising tip amounts). Bill pay, for the few merchants left who I don't have on auto-pay, I do through the bank's website (that's down to two or three per month).

What I do need is very good investment tracking with lot tracking. Moneydance comes close (not as good as Quicken). iBank does not do lot tracking. Mint.com is a complete joke relying almost entirely on what it sees happening on-line and making mistakes (we regularly go to a restaurant whose first word of the name is "Pilot". Mint.com unfailingly changes that to "Pilot Travel Center" and considers it to be a gasoline purchase. Obviously they believe there are no other merchants in the world whose name starts with "Pilot").

Keep in mind that your needs will probably change. Just because you don't need good investment tracking now doesn't mean you won't need it in the future.

LloydStamps

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
Does Essentials download transactions? Transactions from PayPal? Do any of the other programs download transactions, including those from PayPal?

FreedomCoach

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
iBank

From my initial investigations, iBank 4 looks awesome and it features an optional iphone app that will sync data with your desktop iBank. It looks to me like it offers most if not all of the features of Quicken 2007 and will also import data using the QIF format.

Obviously, I need to test the trial for a while before reaching any conclusions, but so far I'm impressed with the app and the user manual too. I'd appreciate any comments from people here who have used iBank and can see its strengths and weaknesses.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
From my initial investigations, iBank 4 looks awesome and it features an optional iphone app that will sync data with your desktop iBank. It looks to me like it offers most if not all of the features of Quicken 2007 and will also import data using the QIF format.

Obviously, I need to test the trial for a while before reaching any conclusions, but so far I'm impressed with the app and the user manual too. I'd appreciate any comments from people here who have used iBank and can see its strengths and weaknesses.

I tried iBank a few months ago, and while it imported data from Quicken 2007 in the QIF format, it was a nightmare to try to get the accounts reconciled. I gave up and decided to just use Quicken Essentials.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm going to go back through and read this whole thread, but just in case this isn't specifically addressed, I'll add my question:

I'm looking for something VERY simple for my father-in-law who is about 400 years old and not very computer savvy. He used Quicken on his PC... Barely.

I use/love iBank, but the screen would just be way too busy for him. I'm looking for something very Apple-ish in it's design/interface simplicity.

He also uses Turbo Tax, so I'm looking for something whose files would be compatible with it.

Thanks.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I tried iBank, but I simply couldn't get my old data into it and then reconciled. Finally I got used to Quicken Essentials since it does enough for me. I still miss some features of Quicken 2007, like the Calendar.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Need to bring this topic back up

I just tried to load my old copy of Quicken2007 for Mac and it can't open any longer.

I guess Quicken has abandoned Mac. Has anyone had any updates/opinion on the financial software that can be purchased as an App?

I find fewer and fewer of my on line companies allow uploading to Quicken so I'm about to go back to pencil and paper.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
I may try Essentials but as others have said it doesn't track investments. It apparently gives balances but not buys and sells???

Moneywell does not appear to track investments unless I read this incorrectly.

I would just like to have a Mac version of Quicken that is available for Windows.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I did the same thing but I learned that Quicken Essentials won't be compatible with Lion either so I am back to where I started! I am now just trying iBank. The problem there is that it cannot use Quicken Essentials data so you can't transfer. My workaround was to download all the data from my banks. We'll see how it works.

I am running Quicken Essentials on Lion and it works very well. I passed years of Quicken data on to it and it works fine. I download my bank info daily, without any problems but I no longer have investments to track, so I don't know if it works along those lines.
I do not like dealing with Intuit but none of the other programs I tried worked as well. I don't know where you got your info about Quicken Essentials' incompatibility with Lion, but it is not correct.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Ok I've given up on Essentials

It was very nice but for one important part. It will not track check writing feature from your investment money market account.

I was reconciling accounts this weekend and noticed none of the checks from the brokerage download and there is only a "cash" balance.

It works great for checking from your bank, daily valuation of your portofolio and tracking credit cards. The only reason I liked Quicken for Mac was it was on my 24" screen. It's hard for me to work with numbers on my Pro. The screen is just too small for these eyes.

As we've all said many times, Intuit deserves a wet noodle for abandoning Mac owners.

dougeb

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have been a Quicken Windows user for years and have updated to every revision except for Quicken 12. I switched to Mac running Windows XP in VMfusion in order to keep Windows Quicken.
I have the following problems with Windows Quicken 11:
1) One-Step update has not worked properly for a year. Quicken Support says there is a known server problem.
2) Quicken has not resolved problem.
3) Bought Quicken Essentials for Mac & One-Step Update works perfectly for 3 accounts and 13 sub-accounts. (probably a different server).
4) I will not update to Windows Quicken 12 unless someone can tell me that One-Step Update will work perfectly.
Doug

radioactive

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
The update is now available

What is Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007?

Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007 is a re-engineered version of Quicken for Mac 2007 that will work on OS X 10.7 Lion.

How will this affect me if I choose Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007?

If you are migrating your data file from Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007 that was installed on a Mac running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or earlier, you will be able to simply open your existing data file in Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007.

If you are currently running Quicken Essentials for Mac on OS X 10.7 Lion, and have previously converted from Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007, you will be able to migrate your Quicken Essentials transaction data to Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007.

When will Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007 be available and how do I get it?

Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007 is now available.

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/lion-compatible-quicken-mac-2007/GEN83769.html

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
In preparation for installing Lion (even though I didn't upgrade until 10.7.3 was released) I removed QM2007 and all my data files months ago. Haven't looked back and it's been very cathartic to not have to enter every little detail of my accounts - freed up a lot of my time and I've found that what I can get electronically through my bank and brokerage is "good enough" - at least compared to what I was doing with Quicken. YMMV

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Just Great Inuit. Now That I Bought Essentials Last Week

you fix Quicken for Mac 2007. I won't go back. I just partitioned my Mac and installed Windows to use your better product. After many years of your accounting and tax on Windows the Mac experience has been abysmal.

I certainly do not blame Apple.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been using QE since it launched. It may not have as many features as other versions of Quicken but for my needs, which is tracking spending, it works great. Since I've had it, Quicken has added new features to it through free downloads. Don't ask me what features and they didn't matter to me, but they are expanding on it. Also, I was part of the demo and they were very quick to add updates when there were bugs found or something wasn't work as it should or what we needed.

Before buying a Mac and using Quicken 2006, I think I was using Money '04 or something like that. When I went to Q06 I suddenly felt I was transported BACK in time. The UI wasn't great and it seemed really sluggish. I think that's the reason why Intuit decided to scrap all that and start from the ground up. Hopefully they'll add all the features back. I remember using Quicken in the mid 90s and it was basically an electronic check register.

And I took this survey. Can you give any information about the class project or maybe share the results?

ariel1956

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Mac Book Air after Quicken

Can iBank or which program? print the Intuit checks designed for Quicken 2007?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can iBank or which program? print the Intuit checks designed for Quicken 2007?

I have not used those myself, but from this check printing setup screen it looks like you could pretty easily make them work. You can just grab each field shown there and move it where you want it.

WTMxr.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.