Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Have you been to Austin? It's about as un-Texas as you can be. Silicon Hills. keep Austin weird!

I had an Amtrak transfer from Austin once. I know that, in the past, they had a reputation for some very wild parties just a few feet on the other side of Austin City limits. Other than that, I just like making fun of Texas.

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
Austin is a great place to live and work; the weather is beautiful most of the time, the culture is simultaneously down-home conservative and hippie-weird, the food is awesome, the bars lively. Fantastic place.

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Here's the satellite view of the Austin campus:
http://g.co/maps/34ek4

They have a lot of land around them to grow into, so we could see a few more building pop up on that free land.

It should also be noted that Apple actually spilled over from that campus into nearby rentable office building because they grew so quickly. They initially spilled over with the the launch of the iPhone, and have maintained that spill-over office (though, the work done there has changed over time). Even after they built the 4th building (the one on the map not connected to the other 3), they continued to use the spill-over office building because they didn't have enough room for all the people down here.

Source: I worked in that office park for a few years.

CaptRoddick

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
Austin is a great place to live and work; the weather is beautiful most of the time, the culture is simultaneously down-home conservative and hippie-weird, the food is awesome, the bars lively. Fantastic place.

Bingo. I'm in Houston and I believe all of Texas respects and strives to "Keep Austin Weird".

----------

I disagree, Austin is the quintessential Texas. Anybody who says Austin is un-Texas a.) knows nothing about the rest of Texas an b.) is a bit bigoted.

Another Bingo. While Austin has a wonderful hippie/rocker/"weird" vibe, I always find that those who say Austin is completely unlike the rest of Texas either A) doesn't have the foggiest clue about Texas or B) Wasn't loved as a child and feels the need to pander to Liberals for validation.
Just saying...

sozekizer

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone who is surprised about this and wonders why Austin, Texas, has no clue about the tech industry in Texas. Just in the Austin area alone you have Apple, Microsoft, Dell to name a few. Up the road a few hours north you've got Microsoft, RIM, IBM. The expansion in Austin makes perfect sense.

BraveSirStanley

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Here's my 61 cents

Bit drunk, but here we go.

Apple will use the enormous cash reserve it has to spend an unheard of amount ($40 billion, plus) in gradually setting up a chip manufacturing infrastructure and a screen manufacturing plant in America.

I'm British by the way, so this isn't American bias.

Apple want everything in-house - the A4 and A5 chips are the first indicators - and that will extend to every product it makes. It also doesn't want to have third parties making the screens for iPhones, iPads, or the new Apple TV set.

But this will take - what? - five years?

Apple are being cost-effevtive at present, reaching every market in the world, before they use the profits to make themselves only answerable to themselves - control CPUs, mobile devices, television and media, and base it all where they choose (not necessarily all in America.)

That's what the cash reserve is for.

Pretty scary really, but I suppose it's what's we've been championing for all these years.

coltongreen

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Texas...

I can tell you Austin is very overrated and liberal. :rolleyes: Our governor is a hell of a lot better than our president, and a lot more qualified to be in his position. I prefer College Station than Austin any day of the week. :p

CaptRoddick

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
I can tell you Austin is very overrated and liberal. :rolleyes: Our governor is a hell of a lot better than our president, and a lot more qualified to be in his position. I prefer College Station than Austin any day of the week. :p

Hush up, Aggie...

jk ;)

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
That's how business is run. It's quite common for cities or states to incentivize big business with tax exemptions, building pledges, or other perks. It's not a "bribe", but simple negotiation. The $21 million will easily be put back into the local economy through the jobs created, the taxes paid out by employees, and the other business generated by this expansion.

I have a better idea. Cities don't bow down, and the companies still need to build their building somewhere.....

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Austin.....

You've obviously never spent time in Austin, or any other part of Texas (Dallas and Houston don't count). Governor is a ding-dong, people and culture are not.

Why don't Dallas or Houston count? And from someone that lived in Austin, it's not the liberal sanctuary that it's claimed to be; it's just liberal for Texas.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I have a better idea. Cities don't bow down, and the companies still need to build their building somewhere.....

It's all about supply and demand. If one particular city doesn't want to "bow down" as you call it, another city will gladly do so.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Argh! I hate Prick Rerry...and undoubtedly, he will take credit for this deal.

Wish he would trip on a stump or something. :mad:

But yay for Texas jobs.

Amen. Where is Ann Richards when you need her? (RIP)

"Poor George, he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
The interesting part of this to me is that Samsung has built the factory for Apples A5 chip manufacturing in Texas. I'd guess that's a lot more jobs than the Apple facility that provides the associated management and design functions.

cowtownapple

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Why don't Dallas or Houston count? And from someone that lived in Austin, it's not the liberal sanctuary that it's claimed to be; it's just liberal for Texas.

I'm just kidding... I'm from Fort Worth and naturally have to give Dallas a hard time..same for Houston (both have great food and entertainment options, just too much traffic).

All of this talk makes me want BBQ for lunch.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas

What about negotiation is "bowing down"? It's not like Austin doesn't want Apple or any other business there and are being forced to accept what is happening. Austin wants as much business and expansion as possible so that jobs will be created, the economy strengthened, taxes paid, and the community improved.

It's the "art of the deal". Do you understand sales at all, even on a government level? Local governments want and need local businesses, big and small, and are willing to use the tools they have to broker the deals.

I live in the Dallas area and in the past couple of years Jerry Jones and the Cowboys built a new stadium. The city of Dallas refused to work with Jerry and reach an agreement that both sides could approve. The city of Arlington down the road was more flexible and made the deal. Tax cuts were given, money was pledged for the stadium, and I'm sure much more. The Arlington economy has been greatly bolstered by the presence of the Cowboys. The 2011 Superbowl alone brought in millions of tourism money to the area and the local businesses like restaurants, hotels, etc.. Dallas is now kicking itself and upset that the former mayor refused to "get it done".

In situations like Apple and the Cowboys no one is "bowing down" or getting taken advantage of. Business is being conducted and if it is done wisely then both sides benefit. Simple economics my friend.

Last edited:

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
That's how business is run. It's quite common for cities or states to incentivize big business with tax exemptions, building pledges, or other perks. It's not a "bribe", but simple negotiation. The $21 million will easily be put back into the local economy through the jobs created, the taxes paid out by employees, and the other business generated by this expansion.

So if Apple's economic benefit were $100M, it'd be okay if Texas gave them $99M in incentives as long as $1M net benefit was being generated?

It's absolutely ridiculous that a company with Apple's cash reserves gets any tax breaks. I don't know how you can defend it.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I've lived in Texas for over 20 years and even though I don't love it, you can't argue that it has one of the lowest cost of living in the US. It is also business friendly and that's why you see a lot of companies moving to Texas. The housing market is fairly stable and the recession didn't hit as hard compared to other states. Those are some of the reasons why Texas.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So if Apple's economic benefit were $100M, it'd be okay if Texas gave them $99M in incentives as long as $1M net benefit was being generated?

It's absolutely ridiculous that a company with Apple's cash reserves gets any tax breaks. I don't know how you can defend it.

A net $1M dollar gain for the city would be bad business and terrible negotiation on the part of the local government. Where did I ever say cities and states should agree to bad business deals? Read my post above for further explanation. Apple's level of success and present cash reserve has no bearing on their desire to broker a good deal. Are you saying that just because a company or an individual is successful that they should no longer look out for their own best interest? This is business my friend, not charity.

Turtletovar

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Good News

I am glad to hear this news. I am from Austin and still live here. I work at Samsung and I feel the tech industry and job security within the industry is fairly good. I like this move for Apple and for our future.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If the jobs must go to a third world country, Texas is as good as any.

Post of the Day nominated!

I think the fact that Apple is going to be adding a couple thousand customer-service positions (presumably English speaking, or as close to it as you can find in Texas..) says a lot about how many people have Apple products in their hands.

Personally, I've never actually had to call Apple Customer service. Then again, I got an iMessage from one of my mother's friends at 5.30 am this morning (she lives in England) asking for help with her iPad2 (she needed to do a soft restart).

This, however, is the flip side of the "iEconomy" article that appeared in the New York Times. No, there aren't ever going to be a half million people in the USA assembling Apple products. But there might very well end up being a hundred thousand or so, earning decent money, with decent benefits, etc. doing all the other things necessary to bring great products to people around the world.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Interesting they had to bribe them $21 million to do it, though. With $97.6 billion cash on hand and a market cap of over $500 billion, Tim Cook probably has $21 million stuck between the cushions in his couch.

Yeah, we all hate the "welfare queen" getting $300 a month on food aid but love our corporate welfare.

Argh! I hate Prick Rerry...and undoubtedly, he will take credit for this deal.

Wish he would trip on a stump or something. :mad:

But yay for Texas jobs.

And why shouldn't he? If it happens on your watch, you get the credit or the blame.

For the record, I loathe Rick Perry.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Kranchammer said:
Have you been to Austin? It's about as un-Texas as you can be. Silicon Hills. keep Austin weird!

I disagree, Austin is the quintessential Texas. Anybody who says Austin is un-Texas a.) knows nothing about the rest of Texas an b.) is a bit bigoted.

This.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.