Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreshyne2g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I want to know if you can swap sim cards with a 4g lte phone and share data?
Basically take my verizon micro sim and put it in the verizon ipad and not pay the ipad data charge.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I want to know if you can swap sim cards with a 4g lte phone and share data?
Basically take my verizon micro sim and put it in the verizon ipad and not pay the ipad data charge.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

I'm wondering the same. It seemed like on AT&T you could with your SIM card. I sure hope so.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Yeah. I was going to post the same question.

Many guys over on Howard forum have used their Verizon LTE SIM from their phones and put them in a Verizon LtE mifi device and it works perfectly without any over charges.

I assume this will work the same for the iPad LTE Verizon.

Because of LTE spectrum Bids with the federal government. Verizon can't enforce LTE sim card switching between LtE phones an mifi devices.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...n-4G-LTE-SIM-from-smartphone-to-MiFi-Datacard

Read the thread.

I think people will do it on their LtE phones on their iPads to save money.

But they can't receive calls on their phones cause the LTE sim ties the phones number into the account.

As for me. I have a galaxy nexus with the microsim LTE so I will check it out on my friends Verizon iPad LTE when he gets it.

I ordered a wifi iPad cause I don't want to deal with sim swapping and just will turn on my unlimited LTE $30 hotspot (I have grandfathered unlimited LTE smartphone $29.99 data)

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta

Many guys over on Howard forum have used their Verizon LTE SIM from their phones and put them in a Verizon LtE mifi device and it works perfectly without any over charges.

Because of LTE spectrum Bids with the federal government. Verizon can't enforce LTE sim card switching between LtE phones an mifi devices.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...n-4G-LTE-SIM-from-smartphone-to-MiFi-Datacard

Read the thread.

But they can't receive calls on their phones cause the LTE sim ties the phones number into the account.

As for me. I have a galaxy nexus with the microsim LTE so I will check it out on my friends Verizon iPad LTE when he gets it.

I ordered a wifi iPad cause I don't want to deal with sim swapping and just will turn on my unlimited LTE $30 hotspot (I have grandfathered unlimited LTE smartphone $29.99 data)

I'll have to get a microsim from VZW. I figure I'll just tell them I bought a Nexus and need the sim activate the phone online. I too am grandfathered with unlimited data. I could use the hotspot but my battery drains too fast on the Bionic. Plus, I figure if I'm at a hotel, I don't need to make calls or I can use my Google Voice account on the iPad. Plus, there's iMessage.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I'm wondering the same. It seemed like on AT&T you could with your SIM card. I sure hope so.

Yeah. I sim swapped my iPad 1 a 20 months ago with my AT&T iPhone 4 micro SIM

But AT&T started cracking down on people and would disable people's cellular data for an entire month if they were caught.

----------

I'll have to get a microsim from VZW. I figure I'll just tell them I bought a Nexus and need the sim activate the phone online. I too am grandfathered with unlimited data. I could use the hotspot but my battery drains too fast on the Bionic. Plus, I figure if I'm at a hotel, I don't need to make calls or I can use my Google Voice account on the iPad. Plus, there's iMessage.

I am going to post the same question over on Howard forums and see what those gurus have to say about the Verizon iPad.

I have the same user name over there

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
i have a verizon 4g lte mifi with unlimited data from work. my plan is to cut the sim and put it into the iPad. I can have unlimited data on the iPad and also use it as a mifi for work purposes.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I went ahead and ordered the 64GB iPad Verizon LTE model. Got it for $812 (very minor $17 discount with my brother's employer EPP store discount).

I'll try it on my Galaxy Nexus next Friday when I get the Verizon iPad and see how that works.

If it works, I'll keep it. If it doesn't work, I'll return it since no restocking fee and just will keep my 64GB wifi model.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Is there any way to use your SIM and still receive calls on your phone? I have an iPhone 4S with Verizon grandfathered unlimited data...and would really love to use the iPad as a hotspot (or a mifi)....but I obviously still need to make calls...

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
no

Is there any way to use your SIM and still receive calls on your phone? I have an iPhone 4S with Verizon grandfathered unlimited data...and would really love to use the iPad as a hotspot (or a mifi)....but I obviously still need to make calls...

I know this won't be possible.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Great find, Buildbright. Shouldn't be any other question. LTE iPad ordered. :D

Your welcome this thread was great. I am surprized on how open they are about this but I think it is great.

Does anyone know if you can make a LTE Verizon phone work on 3g without sim card? I read that you can have a custom sim made for just 3g data and voice.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Or be able to switch my grandfathered account to the mifi/ipad. I don't mind being an a limited data plan on my phone at all.

Ashblade

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
4g lte iPad in other countries?

I do quite a bit of international travel and currently have an iPad 2 wifi+3G on AT&T, which works well for me since I usually end up getting a local prepaid data sim in whatever country I'm working in.. My question is if I can now do that with the Verizon 4g lte iPad since it now has a microsim... Anyone know if this would work?

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Nice find. Looking forward to see if this works with my google nexus sim with unlimited data next Friday.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
So would I be able to use my iPhone 4s Verizon Sim on my iPad 3rd Gen's and get Unlimited 4G internet? As long as my phone is turned off while it's switched for the time type thing.

Update-
Called verizon and they said that wouldn't work(3g sim in 4g device) but could order a 4G sim card to put in a 4g device. He asked what device I just told him I don't remember the name lol. Anyways they are 2nd daying me 4G sim card but he did tell me that in order to use it on the other device I would have to call them to activate it on new device. I'll update whenever I get my iPad see if it works without calling them. Would be nice to have unlimited 4g at the expense of my iphone 4s turned off. :)

Update 2-
Doing more research on this matter it seems in one of the updates they disabled user from changing the APN in settings so in order to update the APN on the iPad you would need to use "iphone configuration utility" from there make a new profile, go to advance settings, enter the Verizon APN settings (which i'll post after this) and just insert the Sim. I think after doing so it "should" work. I'll post my sources where I found such info below as well. Hope this works when I get my Verizon iPad. I heard ATT was stopping iPhone users data plan for a month who did this. Lets hope Verizon just don't care. Unlimited 4G with Hotspot? Pfff. I'd just use google voice, spend $60 for a year of skype, use iMessage with GV for messages and put my iPhone 4s in airport mode. Technically Unlimited 4G for my iPad and iPhone 4s. :)

At any rate I hope this works.

iPhone configuration Tool- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnPQ68DNO8

APN settings- https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/347794

4G LTE GSM General Device Settings-
Phone Number: PhoneNumber
Account name: PhoneNumber@vzw4g.com
Password: vzw

Advanced Settings-
Carrier: Generic
Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
APN: vzwinternet
CID: 1

Last edited:

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
So would I be able to use my iPhone 4s Verizon Sim on my iPad 3rd Gen's and get Unlimited 4G internet? As long as my phone is turned off while it's switched for the time type thing.

Update-
Called verizon and they said that wouldn't work(3g sim in 4g device) but could order a 4G sim card to put in a 4g device. He asked what device I just told him I don't remember the name lol. Anyways they are 2nd daying me 4G sim card but he did tell me that in order to use it on the other device I would have to call them to activate it on new device. I'll update whenever I get my iPad see if it works without calling them. Would be nice to have unlimited 4g at the expense of my iphone 4s turned off. :)

Update 2-
Doing more research on this matter it seems in one of the updates they disabled user from changing the APN in settings so in order to update the APN on the iPad you would need to use "iphone configuration utility" from there make a new profile, go to advance settings, enter the Verizon APN settings (which i'll post after this) and just insert the Sim. I think after doing so it "should" work. I'll post my sources where I found such info below as well. Hope this works when I get my Verizon iPad. I heard ATT was stopping iPhone users data plan for a month who did this. Lets hope Verizon just don't care. Unlimited 4G with Hotspot? Pfff. I'd just use google voice, spend $60 for a year of skype, use iMessage with GV for messages and put my iPhone 4s in airport mode. Technically Unlimited 4G for my iPad and iPhone 4s. :)

At any rate I hope this works.

iPhone configuration Tool- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnPQ68DNO8

APN settings- https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/347794

4G LTE GSM General Device Settings-
Phone Number: PhoneNumber
Account name: PhoneNumber@vzw4g.com
Password: vzw

Advanced Settings-
Carrier: Generic
Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
APN: vzwinternet
CID: 1

It's on Verizon's support page that they offer sim switching its posted in another thread. But the only way i see your plan working is if you have a 4g lte phone. The sim slot on the Verizon phone is for international only and uses a different sim card size as the Ipad lte.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
It's on Verizon's support page that they offer sim switching its posted in another thread. But the only way i see your plan working is if you have a 4g lte phone. The sim slot on the Verizon phone is for international only and uses a different sim card size as the Ipad lte.

Didn't think about hat, glad you pointed that out. Might end up cutting it up to resize it shouldn't lose anything but time if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta

Read the thread.

So far this has worked great. I have made calls from my new iPad by using Google voice. It worked perfectly!

The only thing is that on the MyVerizon app, it says I may be charged for using data on my iPad. I assume since I have unlimited data, I won't get charged.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Yep. My galaxy nexus LTE sim works great in Verizon IPad.

The only thing I don't see if the hotspot option. I tried resetting restarts but hotspot doesn't show up.

And the antenna on Verizpn iPad is awesome. Whereas I didn't get LTE signal at my house on nexus. I get 1-2 bars LTE with iPad. The nexus antenna is horrible.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010

The only thing I don't see if the hotspot option. I tried resetting restarts but hotspot doesn't show up.

And the antenna on Verizpn iPad is awesome. Whereas I didn't get LTE signal at my house on nexus. I get 1-2 bars LTE with iPad. The nexus antenna is horrible.

Check under settings/general/network

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007

I noticed the same thing. I couldn't get lte signal to hold on the nexus inside my house but the iPad gives me two bars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.