Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Noticed this when I went into the purchased movies section yesterday. I was happy to see that they significantly upped the bitrate in my downloaded copy of The Dark Knight, though it's still a fairly muddy SD version.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Can anyone confirm this? I am curious about of streaming to Atv is HD or SD.

On the "purchased" screen on the ATV, it reports the Digital Copy movies as being Widescreen as opposed to HD. Haven't checked actual play quality though to see if the ATV is misreporting what it is going to play.

Jumpman6

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Durham, NC
Odd, I have iTunes digital copies of several films, but the only two that show up ad Up and Sherlock Holmes..

Fox and Universal have an exclusive deal with HBO at the moment so any purchased films or digital copies from those two studios won't show up in your purchased section...at the moment. An HBO representative has stated that they're working to fix this.

A few films for WB also have exclusive deals with HBO at the moment but those will be worked out as well.

When it's all said and done, what ever movie you buy from iTunes or what ever digital copy code you use from a DVD or Blu Ray purchase, it will eventually show up in your purchase section in iTunes.

For me, I'm 98% done with physical media for movies with this new feature.

Last edited:

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

On Apple TV: Album art grid only for purchased movies. The computer movies are still in list view. :(

That sucks. What is the point of putting the art into our movies if we can't use it with Apple TV? :(

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
That sucks. What is the point of putting the art into our movies if we can't use it with Apple TV? :(

The artwork is still there and if you roll over my computer, you can see all the artwork at the top of the Apple TV. Just like before. When you enter into my computer, the art work is shown. It's just not pretty like the Netflix grid.

Another little trick. While watching the moving, if you double arrow up, you'll get the cover art and movie synopsis (if you've added that in).

If you double arrow down, you get the chapter selection

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Do you need to have iTunes Match for this to work?

I don't have iTunes Match and several of my digital copies show up in the Purchased list.

Interestingly, Star Trek 2009 didn't show up even though I have that digital copy. I stuck the disk in again, entered the code and sure enough it appeared in the Purchased list. (It also made a second copy of the movie in my library. I deleted the older one.) Who knows if it would have eventually appeared on its own.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
This is a great feature but i think the problem is that it doesnt account for Itunes digital copies redeemed years ago..

I've bought several bluray's with digital itunes copies... for example SLUMDOGG MILLIONAIRE... but it doesnt show up under PURCHASED... maybe that is something that is working now, but im doubtful that it keeps track of itunes digital copies from 2/+ years ago

even itunes support wouldnt acknowledge any re-downloads of itunes digital copies in the past.. so maybe this is a new policy in itunes

EDIT: It has my Dark Knight on there so maybe its only keeping track of movies that are still available in itunes

GRIPE: it seems that if itunes-Cloud recognizes a past SD purchase of yours, you cant upgrade it to HD or purchase or rent the HD version on apple TV :-(

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I purchased 4 movies. Scott Pilgrim, and the three Back to the Future movies (all Universal). None show up in my Purchased section. :(

I wonder if this is a Universal thing. They've been pulling some dirty, dirty tricks with their movies.
Two movies I've seen recently; Hanna and Brides Maids, had full menus for extras, including deleted scenes, outtakes, behind the scenes, etc...
But none of the extras worked. Trying to load any of them would just tell you to purchase another copy of the movie, an "enhanced" copy that actually had the extras. My jaw dropped. Someone could actually buy a movie and get teased with options they couldn't enjoy - like DLC for movies.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Do you actually have to have the matched version on your hard drive for this to work? It would be great to be able to pop the dvd in, have iTunes match it to the cloud and never have to store it on your hard drive ever.

In fact would be best if you could buy the movie from some kind of online 'store' and then have it stream from an online 'cloud' never having to own the physical thing at all.

:D

Oh yeah.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I purchased 4 movies. Scott Pilgrim, and the three Back to the Future movies (all Universal). None show up in my Purchased section. :(

I wonder if this is a Universal thing. They've been pulling some dirty, dirty tricks with their movies.
Two movies I've seen recently; Hanna and Brides Maids, had full menus for extras, including deleted scenes, outtakes, behind the scenes, etc...
But none of the extras worked. Trying to load any of them would just tell you to purchase another copy of the movie, an "enhanced" copy that actually had the extras. My jaw dropped. Someone could actually buy a movie and get teased with options they couldn't enjoy - like DLC for movies.

Don't underestimate these guys' shame threshold.

Jumpman6

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Durham, NC
This is a great feature but i think the problem is that it doesnt account for Itunes digital copies redeemed years ago..

I've bought several bluray's with digital itunes copies... for example SLUMDOGG MILLIONAIRE... but it doesnt show up under PURCHASED... maybe that is something that is working now, but im doubtful that it keeps track of itunes digital copies from 2/+ years ago

even itunes support wouldnt acknowledge any re-downloads of itunes digital copies in the past.. so maybe this is a new policy in itunes

Slumdog Millionaire was distributed by Fox. They're not apart of this agreement as of right now. But, that's going to change.

----------

Again, Universal and Fox are not apart of this agreement with Apple. It's being worked out by the studios, Apple, and HBO at the moment. They'll eventually show up.

I have 170 titles in my iTunes library either from purchases from iTunes or digital copy codes from a Blu Ray release. 98% of the ones that are missing from my iCloud are from Fox and Universal.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

Probably needs a little time to work out the bugs. I bought a Law and Order episode in 2006 and it's showing up under downloads. Not to mention all the music that I bought basically when itunes first started is still available.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Digital copies = purchases

I don't understand why this is news. Digital copies are the exact same as purchases, and as far as I know, iTunes doesn't mark them differently at all. You just paid for one with a gift code coupon versus your credit card. If the movie is available in iTunes, and you ever downloaded it, it will show up for redownload.

moetownslick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Unfortunately, the "multi Apple ID" issue is rearing its ugly head again. I have a feww movies purchased under my old Apple ID, but my iCloud is registered to a newer one.

I hope they find a solution to the merging issue soon.

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
After I updated all of my devices I had t re-download the movies using the digital copy disc and code in itunes for it to show for the streaming

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I don't understand why this is news. Digital copies are the exact same as purchases, and as far as I know, iTunes doesn't mark them differently at all. You just paid for one with a gift code coupon versus your credit card. If the movie is available in iTunes, and you ever downloaded it, it will show up for redownload.

There was a time that when you purchased something from iTunes, you got to download it once.
Apple basically said it was up to you to back it up, because if you deleted it and wanted to download it again, you had to pay again.

It changed when then the App Store came out, as you could download the same apps multiple times... Eventually Music and TV became available to download again as well. My "Purchased" section suddenly filled up with a bunch of songs I haven't listened to in years.

It is news that Movies are showing up, because (like the other stuff), they were NOT available to download again. At least, not on any friendly "Purchased" screen.

I guess I have to avoid Universal and Fox movies, but for other studios, they WILL be getting more money from me. I have a Blu-ray player, and would love to get more Digital movies tied to my account!!!

Tonezorz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
I can confirm it works with some, but not all, as others have said.

Hugo and the LoTR Trilogy are in the cloud. Back to the Future trilogy and Limitless are not.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Exactly. This article is confusing people.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
There was a time that when you purchased something from iTunes, you got to download it once.
Apple basically said it was up to you to back it up, because if you deleted it and wanted to download it again, you had to pay again.

It changed when then the App Store came out, as you could download the same apps multiple times... Eventually Music and TV became available to download again as well. My "Purchased" section suddenly filled up with a bunch of songs I haven't listened to in years.

It is news that Movies are showing up, because (like the other stuff), they were NOT available to download again. At least, not on any friendly "Purchased" screen.

I guess I have to avoid Universal and Fox movies, but for other studios, they WILL be getting more money from me. I have a Blu-ray player, and would love to get more Digital movies tied to my account!!!

Thanks for the history lesson, but this story is clearly about Digital Copies and not movies in general. The news about movies showing up for redownload in iTunes in the cloud broke 2 days ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.