Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kewlguy781

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
the new iPad - Gateway - Salt Lake City, UT
Launch date: March 16.

Address:
10 South Rio Grande, Suite B
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 456-9400

For more information regarding this location, please see this page:
http://www.apple.com/retail/thegateway/

Update 1: You may now place an online order, and be able to pick up at Gateway store. (iPad only, doesnt apply to the new apple TV)
Live Update There are currently 75 people in the line as of 9:40 PM. I will update how many people here. :)
VTK3Ol.jpg

Last edited:

Optimash

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Can't decide if I want to line up here or at the Fashion Place store. I went there for the 4s launch and there was a very short line. However, the gateway is the place to go for fun crowds, fanfare and swag. What to do...

danielxute

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Can't decide if I want to line up here or at the Fashion Place store. I went there for the 4s launch and there was a very short line. However, the gateway is the place to go for fun crowds, fanfare and swag. What to do...

Do they let you camp inside the mall or what?

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I feel like we have the power situation pretty well worked out at the gateway. All our extension cords, power strips, etc.

Optimash

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Do they let you camp inside the mall or what?

They wouldn't let us camp outside. The line started at 4am, then we waited about a half an hour before they let the front of the line move inside - only about 100 people fit inside and the rest had to wait outside. overall it was a pretty pleasant line, but not as fun of an experience as I've had at the gateway for previous releases.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I'd really like to know the date and time of the release so I can start planning things. An 8am launch campout would be very different than a 5pm launch.

Optimash

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I'd really like to know the date and time of the release so I can start planning things. An 8am launch campout would be very different than a 5pm launch.

Seriously, the anticipation is killing me. Likely, there will be a good week and a half before it goes on sale to make proper preparations, but not knowing sucks.

Doesn't Apple sell some products like the iPod and Macbooks on the day they are announced? Not having Steve around might mean change in the way products are released.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I think they could pull off a launch on friday or saturday of this week. With all the shipping rumors from china, its clear that they have huge amounts of stock already in the supply chains.

::fingers crossed::

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
"The new iPad" launch at the Apple Store, The Gateway

Launch meet up thread for the new iPad launch at the Apple Store, The Gateway in Salt Lake City, Utah on March 16, 2012.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010

Come to Gateway, just ask anyone here who's been there with us, it's the best line you'll ever wait in.

I'm there.

I remember you, I'll really have to work on changing my hotspot password now.

I feel like we have the power situation pretty well worked out at the gateway. All our extension cords, power strips, etc.

Dozens of machines into one outlet, no big deal.

I think it'll be a morning launch. I bet they would have said something already if it was a evening.

I'll be there. I can't preorder today because I won't get paid till this friday.

Credit card.

kewlguy781

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I will be out of town on business trip :((((( Wish I were with you guys. I can say that gateway got the best "camping" folks.

Take pic/videos!

trogbd

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
what can I expect from this upcoming launch in terms of waiting in line? specifically, do I have to worry about being there more than 24 hours until launch in order to secure a new ipad? will I have to worry about them running out? I camp out on black friday yearly, and I would assume that the new ipad launch will be smaller and more casual than getting in line at noon on thanksgiving at bestbuy. am I wrong?

rodolfo52

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Faster process

what can I expect from this upcoming launch in terms of waiting in line? specifically, do I have to worry about being there more than 24 hours until launch in order to secure a new ipad? will I have to worry about them running out? I camp out on black friday yearly, and I would assume that the new ipad launch will be smaller and more casual than getting in line at noon on thanksgiving at bestbuy. am I wrong?
You can order it online and pick it up in store on the 16th and that will be a faster line

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
if you show up at least 2-3 hours before launch, you should have an iPad guaranteed. I usually show up 12ish hours beforehand, just for fun.

kewlguy781

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
you may now place online order and have it be picked up at gateway store!

EDIT: rodolfo52 beat me to this.

Last edited:

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
Well, i'm officially camping out on thursday night. Instore pickup and delivery dates for all models just got pushed till March 19th. If you want an iPad on launch day, you have to wait in line.

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Can't decide if I want to camp out

After camping out for the 4S just to find out they had stock for anyone who walked in all day I think I might risk it and just show up at 8-9

kewlguy781

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Hi.

Found out they would go on sale at 8 AM. Not sure if they would do it earlier.

J

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
Stores open at 8am friday morning. What time does everyone plan on getting there? I'm thinking thursday night at around 9 or 10pm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.