Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
On a side note... I was browsing Apple's dev area and found this

So according to Apple, Mac OS X 10.8 server would run supported on more Macs than 10.8 client.... hmmm?

1. February 16, 2012 11:13PM UTC

OS X Mountain Lion Seed
Server Release Notes

Minimum System Requirements

You can install this version of Server on any Macintosh server or desktop computer with:
• An Intel Core 2 Duo, i5, i7 or Xeon processor
• At least 2GB of RAM
• At least 20GB of available disk space

attachment.php

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
One big problem remains with my late 2007 MB3.1 and X3100. I can see all my shares but i can`t use smb nor afp but Itunes brings me my shares on my Qnap 219p+ NAS. Any suggestions are wellcome.

ciacorp

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012

So according to Apple, Mac OS X 10.8 server would run supported on more Macs than 10.8 client.... hmmm?

OS X Mountain Lion Seed
Server Release Notes

You can install this version of Server on any Macintosh server or desktop computer with:
• At least 2GB of RAM

Sounds VERY interesting, thank you! Does somebody know why the server version is apparently compatible to more macs?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Sounds VERY interesting, thank you! Does somebody know why the server version is apparently compatible to more macs?

If ML Server is anything like Lion Server, then it is just the server elements installed on top of the client as an optional paid for package. You need to install the client first. That will be your first problem.

Not holding my breath.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
If ML Server is anything like Lion Server, then it is just the server elements installed on top of the client as an optional paid for package. You need to install the client first. That will be your first problem.

Not holding my breath.

I don't get why the would write different system requirements if they weren't followed :confused: also it doesn't list i3 support which some iMacs had

To install Server, please follow the directions below:
• Launch Disk Utility.app from /Applications/Utilities/
• Target a disk/partition for installing this seed build and select to erase the
volume.
• Once erased, download "OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview" from the
Mac App Store
• Select the erased disk/partition as the target install destination and install
the OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview
• From your OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview, download “Server
Developer Preview” from the Mac App Store and launch from Launchpad to install.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I don't get why the would write different system requirements if they weren't followed :confused: also it doesn't list i3 support which some iMacs had

To install Server, please follow the directions below:
• Launch Disk Utility.app from /Applications/Utilities/
• Target a disk/partition for installing this seed build and select to erase the
volume.
• Once erased, download "OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview" from the
Mac App Store
• Select the erased disk/partition as the target install destination and install
the OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview
• From your OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview, download “Server
Developer Preview” from the Mac App Store and launch from Launchpad to install.

See the bit that I bolded? Now try that on a Mac that is not officially supported by Mountain Lion. Now do you see the problem?

The process is identical to that of Lion Server.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

OS X Mountain Lion Seed
Server Release Notes

• At least 2GB of RAM

Well.. SOME C2D are supported.. Only those that shipped with 64bit kernel. I don't think this will have any different from the client version since server version is installed on top of the client version.

----------

No there is not. There are no 64 bit kexts for the GMA X3100 and I believe the 2007 Macbooks all had 32 bit EFIs, so could not boot a 64 bit kernel, anyway.

Someone in another thread manage to boot into 64bit kernel on a MacBook3,1/ MacBook White 2007 with X3100

----------

Hi Wayne,
The updated guide is very useful. However:

No mention about copying IntegratedFramebuffer.kext

So you modified EFI32.pkg and perhaps the /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi files is also hex-edited. I could not see what you changed inside those files.

However there are some missing Board ids which were not found in your PlatformSupport.plist.

They are for even older CoreDuo -> Core2Duo upgraded Mac, with the GMA950. These Macs are the pretty much exactly the same once the CPU has been upgraded for a Core2Duo. And therefore equall-technically-capable of running Mountain Lion as the white Macbook2,1 for example.

These Board ids which were not found in your System.zip are:

"Mac-F42786C8","Mac-F4208CC8","Mac-F42DBEC8","Mac-F425BEC8","Mac-F4208EC8"

For the following Core Duo models, respectively: "iMac4,1","MacBook1,1","MacBookPro1,2","MacBookPro1,1","MacMini1,1"

Which had the following Graphics: "X1600","GMA-950","X1600","X1600","GMA-950"

Thanks for the update, i will add the board IDs into the plist file. The plist file are directly extracted from Lion and has not been modified in anyway.. Which is why the core duo Macs ID are not included.

----------

Maybe someone who is Dev could try it out ;-) Server version sounds quite promising...

Im a dev and i can confirm that doesn't work. The server version installs on top of the client version. So you still need to modify the client installer.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
See my post #35 here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325818/
Booting 64 bit kernel in Lion is no problem!

All right, thanks. I actually tried with the Mountain Lion installation in my external USB disc, with no kexts since I have the GMA 950 (and I don't think it will work with the 64 bits kernel). Still it gets stuck at "Waiting for DSMOS". It does show some 64 bits numbers in the verbose boot. Also there is a line "kernel is LP64 (I think)". But it just stops waiting at that line. Maybe a Yukon message appeared after few minutes. But the disc doesn't seem moving.

PS: Right now I am in ML 32 bits. With the kexts installed. So it does run on my machine.

EDIT: "Waiting for DSMOS" using Lion as well. Obviously I installed the Lion patch. Is there any chance to get instructions about how to patch the EFI?

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
All right, thanks. I actually tried with the Mountain Lion installation in my external USB disc, with no kexts since I have the GMA 950 (and I don't think it will work with the 64 bits kernel). Still it gets stuck at "Waiting for DSMOS". It does show some 64 bits numbers in the verbose boot. Also there is a line "kernel is LP64 (I think)". But it just stops waiting at that line. Maybe a Yukon message appeared after few minutes. But the disc doesn't seem moving.

PS: Right now I am in ML 32 bits. With the kexts installed. So it does run on my machine.

EDIT: "Waiting for DSMOS" using Lion as well. Obviously I installed the Lion patch. Is there any chance to get instructions about how to patch the EFI?

Im working a new way to force 32bit kext to load... Was quite bz for the past few days..

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Im working a new way to force 32bit kext to load... Was quite bz for the past few days..

I am actually waiting for ML DP2. Running ML in a virtual machine (it does boot with 64 bits) the graphics is glitchy. But sure, that should be an issue with the virtual machine kexts. Still i want to see what it is the real Apple plan with our unsupported 64 bits machine (I still can't digest this. Apple can well forget about my money. Next time it will be an Hackintosh).

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am actually waiting for ML DP2. Running ML in a virtual machine (it does boot with 64 bits) the graphics is glitchy. But sure, that should be an issue with the virtual machine kexts. Still i want to see what it is the real Apple plan with our unsupported 64 bits machine (I still can't digest this. Apple can well forget about my money. Next time it will be an Hackintosh).

:eek:fftopic: Im a long hackintosh fan before entering to the real Mac world.. Hackintosh is nothing comparing to the lousiest intel Mac.. Its just too much hassle. From installation to updating it then to newer OSes.. Its not worth it unless you have bunch of time to spent.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
:eek:fftopic: Im a long hackintosh fan before entering to the real Mac world.. Hackintosh is nothing comparing to the lousiest intel Mac.. Its just too much hassle. From installation to updating it then to newer OSes.. Its not worth it unless you have bunch of time to spent.

Is it so bad? I wonder why no one makes any MacBook clone. The components are pretty standard anyway. There wouldn't be any copyright infringement. Only the EULA but that would be up to the user.

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
64bit kernel in DP2... I think that means we're done here :-(

unless someone can port the 64bit linux gma950 drivers

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Ok folks, I have modded the GMA X3100 64 bit patch I made for 10.7.3 to work with 10.8 DP1. This should also work with those already on DP2, but I haven't tested it with DP2 yet, will do this evening when I upgrade from DP1

GMA X3100 mod.bs file is here

GMA X3100 64 bit patch for 10.8 DP1 is here .right click and select download linked file. Open with terminal, type in your system password, reboot and you're good to go.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
64bit kernel in DP2... I think that means we're done here :-(

unless someone can port the 64bit linux gma950 drivers

DP2 KPed immediately after boot.. 32bit kernel is no longer available. But i have another solution :). Download the latest ML Chamaleon (hackintosh bootloader) then boot mountain lion via chameleon. Tested it myself on Mountain Lion DP2

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
DP2 KPed immediately after boot.. 32bit kernel is no longer available. But i have another solution :). Download the latest ML Chamaleon (hackintosh bootloader) then boot mountain lion via chameleon. Tested it myself on Mountain Lion DP2

Hi there. I've not yet upgraded to DP2 yet, been working on another patch. Did you install DP2 as an update to DP1 or as a clean install?. i"m going to try installing this over DP1 with the 64 bit patch installed and see how I get on. If all else fails then I'll use the chameleon method. thanks

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
hakerwayne - the problem is drivers for the GMA950... but your right, that will boot it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.