Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I'm looking to purchase an iPod classic for the music playback and storage capabilities.

The current one is just fine, but if they're planning on finally releasing some kind of update, I could hold out a bit.

Does anyone know what's going on in this area?

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
Beats me, I've been waiting 2 years, but generally iPods and iPhones are usually updated in September (its Christmas a few months later etc etc) and iMac's and iPads updated in March, just got to take into account that the current Classic is 5 years old now (except the Hard Drive, which is 3 years old). It'll either be updated or just dropped- if it were dropped 3rd party retail stores (ie Walmart, John Lewis) may start selling them cheaper to clear stock..

This is all theoretical of course, Apple are notoriously tight-lipped and unpredictable, but its always worth hanging on a few more months unless you really need it

Last edited:

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
Beats me, I've been waiting 2 years, but generally iPods and iPhones are usually updated in September (its Christmas a few months later etc etc) and iMac's and iPads updated in March, just got to take into account that the current Classic is 5 years old now (except the Hard Drive, which is 3 years old). It'll either be updated or just dropped- if it were dropped 3rd party retail stores (ie Walmart, John Lewis) may start selling them cheaper to clear stock..

This is all theoretical of course, Apple are notoriously tight-lipped and unpredictable, but its always work hanging on a few more months unless you really need it

Pretty much this. I would love someone to raise this question (maybe around iPods in general) at a shareholder/financial meeting.

See if they can get Tim to comment... :)

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
Pretty much this. I would love someone to raise this question (maybe around iPods in general) at a shareholder/financial meeting.

See if they can get Tim to comment... :)

Yes, I think 'Cook would make a bit of a dogs dinner out of the answer though! (See what I did there??) I do wonder from time to time how often the Classic (and Shuffle too actually) pass through Tim's mind.. :rolleyes:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm a big fan of the classic; I love the idea of being able to transport all of my music library around at the one time, and - nice and clever though the iTouch is - and I love it - deep down, I don't really need all the bells and whistles. At the end of the day, all I want from my iPod is that it be able to carry and play all my music for me......

It is not too much to ask, is it? ;)

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Unfortunately, the classic iPod is almost dead. Everything is going in the direction of more integrated, rather than specialized devices.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Pre-Cloud, there was hope.
Post-Cloud, and post no 128 iPad this week, I would put no money on a large capacity iPod ever again.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I too want a better classic. There are those of us who just want a great iPod and as cool and wow as the other (iphone, ipod touch ect) are the classic is still the best "in one word : capacity" I need a bigger one though. you can make a huge one if you mod it yourself but i'd love to see apple do something up.

as a realist i know it may never happen though. i do think they'll keep it until another one passes it in capacity.

i hate the cloud. basically because i want no interruption and there are regular times where i have no service on my iphone.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I received one for Christmas, which I use in the car and at the office.

I got a survey from Apple inquiring about a 'new Classic' in regards to larger capacity and other "iphone like connectivity options". The last question was what i would like to see in a new version of iPod Classic. I told them 256-320GB capacity and higher rez display.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
To be honest, an iCloud connected (via WiFi or possibly a Free 3G connection similar to the Kindle's free 3G) iPod classic with a larger hard-drive (Keep the 160GB model, and add a 250 or 320GB model for the ones with the HUGE libraries), maybe a larger screen, and some improved features (like FLAC support and .MKV support), a larger, 2.8 screen with a 960x720 resolution (over even more!) would be an amazing update that would set the iPod classic up for several more years.

I'm using my iPod touch for music right now, but once I get an iPad I plan to get rid of the touch and buy an iPod classic to replace it for my music needs (since all the apps I use have an iPad variant)

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
To be honest, an iCloud connected (via WiFi or possibly a Free 3G connection similar to the Kindle's free 3G) iPod classic with a larger hard-drive (Keep the 160GB model, and add a 250 or 320GB model for the ones with the HUGE libraries), maybe a larger screen, and some improved features (like FLAC support and .MKV support), a larger, 2.8 screen with a 960x720 resolution (over even more!) would be an amazing update that would set the iPod classic up for several more years.

I'm using my iPod touch for music right now, but once I get an iPad I plan to get rid of the touch and buy an iPod classic to replace it for my music needs (since all the apps I use have an iPad variant)

I've never owned a Kindle, but isn't the Kindle's free 3G for simple things like downloading books and stuff and not for streaming music? So I don't think free 3G would ever work on an iPod. Especially with carriers trying to throttle everyone.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I've never owned a Kindle, but isn't the Kindle's free 3G for simple things like downloading books and stuff and not for streaming music? So I don't think free 3G would ever work on an iPod. Especially with carriers trying to throttle everyone.

Yes, but the Kindle's free 3G isn't throttled at all (in terms of base speeds). You get the full 3G speeds that AT&T offers (or Sprint, if you have one of the older 3G models).

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I got a survey from Apple inquiring about a 'new Classic' in regards to larger capacity and other "iphone like connectivity options". The last question was what i would like to see in a new version of iPod Classic. I told them 256-320GB capacity and higher rez display.

Very interesting, when was this? I think this is probably the most evidence we've seen of Apple even thinking about the Classic in the last 2-3 years.

I too am a Classic lover, I actually have two--one for the car, and one to keep "nice".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.