Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I have bought another PS3 today (a 40GB PAL to my existing 60GB USA), and was wondering what would be the easiest way to copy if possible my user data, my downloads, my purchased PSN games etc.

I assume the 'backup' utility would do it ? but I'm unsure if that will transfer everything to another machine or if the PSN stuff is linked to a specific hardware/machine and if there are any other issues involved with doing this.

Thank you.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Do a backup to a external drive and then restore it to the new machine. This is the only way to ensure that all of your save data goes with you to the new machine.

I know that a few games won't let you copy the save game files and they only work for the account that created them. Make sure that when you setup the new machine that it has the same account names/login names.

Ed

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Thanks Ed. Should I setup the PSN account on the console I'm transferring too first or will that be transfered with my backup ? :)

edit......

OK so it didn't work. Basically went to restore and got the message about a different system and some things wouldn't copy, so I said ok and go ahead anyway.

Basically nothing was really copied from one to the other. No demos, no saves, no downloaded game, no pictures, no accounts...

So I just basically added my two accounts manually, set up PSN account using the sign in to an existing account, and then using the account management feature of PSN I went to ACTIVATE system and activated the new PS3 to allow downloadable content and such.

It's now in the process or re-downloading the 20 games I had purchased from PSN, so I will leave it over night.

Its good to see that it at least (or so it seems initially) to allow you to activate more than one PS3 to play downloaded content, not sure if this is online or offline but hopefully offline too. (With the 360 you had to be online to play downloaded arcade games if using a different 360, which is a pain because I didn't have it connected to LIVE at my apartment, meaning I couldnt play any of my ARCADE games at all other than in demo mode)

Interesting to see that the 40GB PS3 has a different front panel to the 60GB model I have. The chrome bevel around the drive and on the top edge is like a mirror on the 60GB model, and yet on the 40GB its matte and non-reflective. I prefer the 60GB model. Not bothered about the lack of media ports though as I never use them on my 60, and I always thought the door to them on the 60 felt flimsy.

At least now I have a region A and region B - BluRay playback :) So I no longer have to look for specific region or region-free discs. I can just buy whatever I want which is nice :)

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Out of interest, do you find the new 40GB quieter than the 60GB? I know the PS3 is pretty quiet anyway, but I found I could still hear the fans of my 60GB during quiet parts of a BluRay movie.

I was considering swapping if the 40GB is quieter. Supposedly it should be as it has a lesser power consumption and should require the fans so much.

thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ All ps3's are quiet but... all get a little louder as they have been on for a while. I can't say I can detect any audible difference between the two though.

Steve519

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
even though you already did yours, you can backup with a usb thumbdrive or 2.5 in external hdd. Thats how I did mine, it worked perfectly

qwerty5oo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Help a thick Oldie! My original PS3 broke down (laser reader!) and is being picked up tomorrow, I need to transfer all my game saves to another PS3 i bought today.
I went to the menu bar on the orginal machine across to where it shows the saves for each game, and copied them all. i did this for each log in.
Went to my new machine pluggedin the USB pen but where do I get the option to copy in the saves??
Or I`m I doing this wrong? is there another way??
Help ASAP please as they come to take it away sooooon.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Did you use the backup manager in the PS3 settings section? If you used that it should handle everything for you....backs up everything on a external. Plug in your external over to your new PS3 and use the backup utility again to restore.

Let me know how that works out.

Bless

qwerty5oo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Ok deleted everything, photos, music etc. except my games saves, tried to back up onto a 2gig usb, but it said not enough memory, and looks like I need a 4gb card to fit everything on??? Is there another way, or do i have too take my laptop and connect it usb to usb and try again????
thanks any help welcome.

qwerty5oo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Ok took all my music off my N95 and hook it up to PS3 but 1 hour 42min to transfer???? back up???

CK197

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
transfer

with the new updated available you can transfer all of your information from one PS3 to another PS3 by hooking them up with a Ethernet cable. this option is available under system settings. I think you have to turn them both off - hook them up and turn them on. then set one to send and one to receive.

CK197

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
this option transfers everything - all clears all of the information off of your old PS3

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Sorry for the necro, but I figured I'd rather post in here compared to making a new thread.

It took mine about 1 hour 35 minutes to transfer all my old data from my 250GB MGS4LE PS3 to my new 120GB PS3 Slim. It was so annoying, and I unfortunately was still stuck with at least 50GB "used" by some unknown item. I only have a few purchased PSone games and demos, so I figured I'd start fresh after just transferring my saves to an external HD. The only protected saves were for Assassin's Creed 2 and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, neither of which will take too long to restart the game and play to catch up.

After the data transfer, I just swapped the 120GB out of the slim for the 250GB WD drive I had in the MGS4 fat PS3 (I have no idea why they only shipped those with 40GB drives, I'd never survive!). I'm just redownloading all my purchases while I'm at work and the PSthree is running at home. As a side note, i'm freaking out because I just started reading threads from people whose Slims have been overheating, and I don't want anything bad to happen while i'm 6.5 hours away from being home :eek:

I guess the point or issue of my thread would be this: Why on earth does Sony require us to format the drive when we install a new one in the PS3? I would understand if it was a brand new drive, but why do they just not work when you just want to swap a hard drive out for a larger one with all your original saves?

I'm just lucky that my Fallout 3 saves are not copy protected. That would have been enough for me to just say screw it and return the Slim.

aygie

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
Sorry for the necro, but I figured I'd rather post in here compared to making a new thread.

It took mine about 1 hour 35 minutes to transfer all my old data from my 250GB MGS4LE PS3 to my new 120GB PS3 Slim. It was so annoying, and I unfortunately was still stuck with at least 50GB "used" by some unknown item. I only have a few purchased PSone games and demos, so I figured I'd start fresh after just transferring my saves to an external HD. The only protected saves were for Assassin's Creed 2 and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, neither of which will take too long to restart the game and play to catch up.

After the data transfer, I just swapped the 120GB out of the slim for the 250GB WD drive I had in the MGS4 fat PS3 (I have no idea why they only shipped those with 40GB drives, I'd never survive!). I'm just redownloading all my purchases while I'm at work and the PSthree is running at home. As a side note, i'm freaking out because I just started reading threads from people whose Slims have been overheating, and I don't want anything bad to happen while i'm 6.5 hours away from being home :eek:

I guess the point or issue of my thread would be this: Why on earth does Sony require us to format the drive when we install a new one in the PS3? I would understand if it was a brand new drive, but why do they just not work when you just want to swap a hard drive out for a larger one with all your original saves?

I'm just lucky that my Fallout 3 saves are not copy protected. That would have been enough for me to just say screw it and return the Slim.

So that people can't put a shed load of games on the HDD and then sell it on ebay would be my guess.

barbs55

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
Hi I just transfered ps3 saves from my cousins ps3 for final fantasy 13. (51 hours in..)

and i got my saves on there. and i can play the game from my save. but since i didn't create teh save on this ps3 it wont let my override the file with a new save when playing on the transfered save file...

help!!! i'm so far in.. i can't restart now... i just caaant. heelp

aygie

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
Hi I just transfered ps3 saves from my cousins ps3 for final fantasy 13. (51 hours in..)

and i got my saves on there. and i can play the game from my save. but since i didn't create teh save on this ps3 it wont let my override the file with a new save when playing on the transfered save file...

help!!! i'm so far in.. i can't restart now... i just caaant. heelp

Can't you just save under a new save slot?

iPetty14

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
PS3 Data Transfer

When you transfer the data from one PlayStation to another will it delete existing files on the PlayStation you are trying to load the data to? Or will that stay on their?

MrBlaze

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
This might help

So I have bought another PS3 today (a 40GB PAL to my existing 60GB USA), and was wondering what would be the easiest way to copy if possible my user data, my downloads, my purchased PSN games etc.

I assume the 'backup' utility would do it ? but I'm unsure if that will transfer everything to another machine or if the PSN stuff is linked to a specific hardware/machine and if there are any other issues involved with doing this.

Thank you.

try this post out it tells you how to copy from PS3 to PS3

http://www.webanswers.com/games/video-games/ps3-6afdf6

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
When you transfer the data from one PlayStation to another will it delete existing files on the PlayStation you are trying to load the data to? Or will that stay on their?

You can individually load saves from your external drive to your PS3 but if you format the drive and restore it with your backup then obviously everything on the internal drive will be deleted.

jjq224

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Here's a question - I am going to upgrade my son's PS3 hard drive, but know that a lot of the stuff he currently has cannot be copied.

I have a shell that allows you to take an internal HD and turn it into an external USB drive. Can I take the original out, put it in the shell, copy the entire drive to my iMac, then put the new drive in the shell and copy everything back? Theoretically that should work - right?

Thanks!

ADAMDASHNER

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
My 160 GB PS3 was somehow exposed to water and I had to tear it open to remove the DVD disc and hard drive.

Assuming I can use my Apricorn Drivewire to get the data from the old HD transferred to a FAT32 thumb drive, will it be a simple matter of copying the data to my new 320 GB system?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My 160 GB PS3 was somehow exposed to water and I had to tear it open to remove the DVD disc and hard drive.

Assuming I can use my Apricorn Drivewire to get the data from the old HD transferred to a FAT32 thumb drive, will it be a simple matter of copying the data to my new 320 GB system?

Make sure your new PS3 has same console name n settings as the last their wise it won't work.

Holy thread ressurection - this is over 4 years old! :)

ADAMDASHNER

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
transfer

thank you again "macrumoruser"

system name was hathor, except for wallpaper/font (classic) i think all settings were default hdmi.

AdamD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.