Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hey all,
In attempting to export footage from a 5dmkii as ProRes footage for editing in FCE, I found that neither Streamclip nor QT Pro 7.6.6 have the ProRes format as an option. Any ideas if this can work? I'm under the impression that it can. I have the AppleProResDecoder component installed in /System/Library/QuickTime, version 1.0 currently.
Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Final Cut Express does NOT support the ProRes codec, it uses the Apple Intermediate Codec instead, which should be an option for Compression in MPEG Streamclip.

But if you use Final Cut Pro and not FCE:

I recently edited a short film with Canon 5D Mark II footage and had better results with the following application:

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
i recall being able to download the codec from apple's website...
that was about 2 months ago. That might be just to play it tho...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
i recall being able to download the codec from apple's website...
that was about 2 months ago. That might be just to play it tho...
A playback only version has been available for a while, but to get the encoder I think you need to have one of Apples ProApps. You could pay $50 for Motion or Compressor to get access to the codec but, like simsaladimbamba, I don't know how well it will work w/FCE (if at all).

This perhaps? But will FCE work with that?
Being a ProApps update I don't know if it will work w/o having a qualifying app installed.

Nov 28, 2010
located
A playback only version has been available for a while, but to get the encoder I think you need to have one of Apples ProApps. You could pay $50 for Motion or Compressor to get access to the codec but, like simsaladimbamba, I don't know how well it will work w/FCE (if at all).
I could however extract the codecs via Pacifist and was able to play a ProRes encoded video file in a Lion VM (which does not have any of the Pro Apps installed, as shown below).

Being a ProApps update I don't know if it will work w/o having a qualifying app installed.
It will not work via the installer though:
2012_03_11_pA1_ProAppsCodecInstallerError.png

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hey all, thanks for the input.

As simsaladimbamba noted the ProApps version is meant for, well, Pro Apps. That said, I believe I have redemption codes for them all somewhere, and may use them simply to get at the codec for use with Streamclip and then (hopefully) editing in Express. I'll post back results about that later.

Can anybody weigh in on personal usage of AIC?

Best

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
AIC is okay. The sizes are crazy 36GB per hour compared to 12GB per hour for mpeg2 stuff.
As long as you are using a firewire drive or internal 2nd drive, it's great. It's just really big.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I used AIC when for whatever reason my ProRes encoder plugins or whatever weren't functioning. No issues or lessoned quality...though if I were editing a master piece to broadcasted in 1080p and thrown on BluRays I'd probably make a point to use the highest bit rate ProRes 422 if I were using a DSLR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.