Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
120gb full of 100% ALAC. Seriously considering buying a 240gb 5th gen or go a 7th gen 240gb for the same price. Kinda like the Genius playlist capabilities. Rapid Repair sells them. I'm gonna give Apple a little more time to see what they're gonna do before I drop $400.00!

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I'm using my classic now more than I ever used my shuffle and Touch. I don't know whats up with that but it's easier to use a scroll wheel in the car than a touch for some reason.

dougie555

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
ipod classic is the best

I have a ipod classic 120gb and I take it with me everywhere. It has 100gb music on it and still growing. I only want a mp3 player to play music and not to play games or phone etc.
It would be a sad thing if they stop making the classic. No other mp3 player offers the amount of storage.
The Ipod Classic is the best.
Hopes that Apple dont stop it as soon my harddrive will be full and then i will need more storage and theres nothing else about that offers storage like the classic.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
If the iPod Classic gets updated with a higher capacity drive, it might just hold my whole music library in Apple Lossless format. Apple should acknowledge those of us who appreciate the best audio quality and re-design the Classic with this in mind. As well as the larger capacity, they could also include a superior DAC and headphone amp component to really show off the higher quality files that will fit on it.

DJHonda84

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I love my iPod classic! I use it daily, and see no reason to rely on a network connection to have all of my music with me. The idea of shifting toward cloud-based music storage is too flawed in too many obvious ways for me to give it a serious thought. Also, my experience has shown me that hard disks aren't evil. I'm on my third hard-disk iPod and never had any problems. I've used all of my iPods heavily and haven't babied them. Only replaced when upgrading. Hopefully Apple will keep this gem around at least until the iPhone can hold 256GB locally.

I admit that the classic's UI does feel dated, but I wouldn't change a thing about it other than a capacity boost. :D

I totally agree with you, I have an iPhone 4S and as soon as i heard that the iPod classic was discontinued i knew i had to get one. Yes its simple just strictly music and videos etc. But thats all i need in a music player really. I don't know The classic is just "classic" i had one 4 years ago back in high school it broke on me and ever since I've been sticking with an iPhone this whole time, its good to be re-united once again with an iPod.

RIP iPod Classic
It has not been discontinued. New units still for sale on Apple's website and elsewhere.

Meatball

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
I love my iPod Classic! Stores my entire lossless itunes collection for playback on car stereo or my BeatsBox :).

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I had to apologize to a friend when I argued that you couldn't tell the difference between a lossless/cd version and a high bit-rate mp3.
You can.
Mp3's were created when storage space was a problem. With a high capacity unit like the iPod Classic, that's less of a problem. They should upgrade it, not discontinue it.
I'm enjoying quality over quantity, and hearing what I've been listening to for years, as if for the first time.
There probably is a thread about this already, but I'm now a lossless convert. Artists should join the fight to hear their music as they recorded it.
Neil Young met with Jobs about the issue, and although it wasn't resolved at the time he noted that Steve listened to his music on vinyl.
Mp3's aren't totally evil (almost, but not totally), but everything has unintended consequences.
Convenience can be an enemy.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The only thing I'm sad about is the fact hardly anyone posts in this forum anymore. Then again, Apple hasn't been giving us much to post about.:cool:

I love my Classic, listening to it now, and took it out of it's case for the afternoon to enjoy it's form factor (bought it in '09 after release, still absolutely flawless with a very healthy battery). Still waiting for Apple to give it a refresh.

I really think this year is do or die for it. I really think this will be the year that it either gets updated or dropped altogether. With Cook at the helm, it just might have a chance at being updated, we know Jobs likely didn't care for it but maybe Cook will breathe a little life into it.

Just bump the capacity, glass screen with a little better resolution (size is fine, just not so pixelated), maybe a small tweak or two for the GUI, and maybe a new front plate or some subtle tweak to it cosmetically to make it look fresh again. I'd buy one instantly.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
My 160GB iPod Classic is still in use each day on my commute to work and back. The larger capacity is enough to hold thousands of songs, audio books, and the latest synced podcasts that I listen to. I love the simplicity of OS 2.0.4 and the impressive battery life blows away the iOS devices.

My fear is that either one of two things will happen. Apple will drop the Classic completely since it hasn't even been mentioned in years now. Or worse, it will be remade into some iOS device.

What I want is larger capacity, maybe more impressive graphic resolution on the screen - perhaps a retina screen - but keep the same form factor. With all the iOS devices I have, I still couldn't sufficiently replace my iPod Classic with any of them. :apple:

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
I love my classic too.....tried the touch and it just didn't have the same magic. I hope Apple gives the classic another refresh and doesn't just drop it.

glittersparkles

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
London
i was given a 6th gen nano in replacement of my 1st gen nano, and i have to say i hate it.
i also have a Classic, and a Mini, and i prefer them so much more - the classic the most, however the mini i use for the bus etc., but i like the feel of the click wheels, and the screens being normal (e.g. not touchscreen), they are so much more hardwearing! apple needs to put more advertising and ideas into the classic, then people will buy them more. not necessarily adding wifi or anything like that, as the classic is simply a classic music player, fully of reliability; but an update at last would be nice!

i got my classic in 2008 and its still holding strong :)

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Agreed

Hello everyone,

it's been ages since I last started a thread here but I just had to express somewhere that I think my new classic (which is hardly new in reality as it hasn't changed since 09!) is absolutely brilliant.

So I am sitting here, typing this post on my iPad, my iPhone in my pocket, MacBook on the coffee table and mac pro in the office, but am waxing lyrical over what many would deem the most boring bit of apple tech I own.

Why do I like it so much... Because I had forgotten just how wonderful it is to have all my songs in my pocket again.

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it. But what I truly enjoy is humming a random tune, reaching in my pocket, and being able to listen to it right away.

I know this post may sound totally useless, and in a way it is. But to all those who like their classic iPod, please just jot a reply below, in the hope that when our current classics die, we will be able to walk straight back into an apple store to buy another.:)

=====================================================

For ALL the same reasons you mentioned, I share the same affection and love for my 160GB iPod Classic. My music library being everywhere that I am. I couldn't imagine a world without my Classic. Coming from the owner of a 32GB 3GS, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64GB iPhone 4S (all black) and 3 iPod touches from 2nd gen to 4th gen, an iPod shuffle for workouts and a recently purchased 160GB Classic for my vast music library, I would have to say that my affection for the Classic was surprisingly intense. Never knew that I would love it the way that I do.

Jez27

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Blackpool, UK
I recently saw a video on YouTube where someone stumbled across an "old" iPod and they were reminiscing about the click-wheel and a time before touch-screens and apps and the like.

It got me thinking myself, wasn't it an awesome time when MP3 players, or iPods, simply played music and nothing else?

My iPad doesn't hold any of my music, just movies/games/media apps. My iPhone has a selection of songs on it, but once you've heard them (it's a 16GB and has to cope with apps/photos etc as well as music) you've heard them all.

Then I've got the iPod Touch. The thing that came before any Apple device I had (other than an old 8GB Nano that I sold to a mate of mine). 32GB but also has the same distractions on it in the form of apps, games and the internet.

I'm seriously considering palming that off onto someone and investing in a Classic, myself. It's awesome having your entire music library in your pocket, instead of a repetitive collection, and the feeling of using a click-wheel these days is ever so slightly nostalgic - even though it feels like it was only yesterday that every iPod had one.

TL;DR - Nothing beats the feeling of a click-wheel & being back in a time before apps & mobile internet were distracting you from the music that your iPod was there to serve you with!

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
look, i wouldn't hold my breath for the iPod classic, folks.
it's dead.

I'm surprised the classic is still for sale, but it can't live forever.

Unless.... wait wait wait...
Scrap the bulky form-factor and hard drive (ick, IMO)... Resurrect the clickwheel iPod nano form factor. Just call it "the new iPod". Slap in 32, 64, and 128 (is that doable yet?) GB flash storage options. Give it bluetooth and WiFi for wireless syncing/iTunes match/AirPlay! I'd buy that yesterday. I just don't like the idea of carrying around a clunky classic with hard drive, IMO. True, nothing like that will ever happen... but, I guess the point of my little excursion into fantasy-land is that I nonetheless feel for you classic lovers.

But back to reality....
ummm....
iTunes Match, people. time marches on. :rolleyes:

(yes, i know, blah blah, lossless, etc.)

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
The last 2 weeks I've been using my classic on my 20 minute drive to work and back and for two weeks have never touched it but hit play and forward and never heard the same song twice. Incredible.
Oh I also never have charged it in two weeks. I'm so impressed I'll probably never buy another iPod but a Classic.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Scrap the bulky form-factor and hard drive (ick, IMO)... Resurrect the clickwheel iPod nano form factor. Just call it "the new iPod". Slap in 32, 64, and 128 (is that doable yet?) GB flash storage options. Give it bluetooth and WiFi for wireless syncing/iTunes match/AirPlay! I'd buy that yesterday. I just don't like the idea of carrying around a clunky classic with hard drive, IMO. True, nothing like that will ever happen... but, I guess the point of my little excursion into fantasy-land is that I nonetheless feel for you classic lovers.

In my experience with a 3rd gen iPod (I think; it was the last monochrome screen click-wheel model), the hard drive was the weakest part that broke down every two years or so of daily use. The hard drives used today are probably more reliable and it is good to have the option of an iPod with comparatively massive storage capacity for lossless libraries. From Apple's point of view, the current iPod Classic would fill that gap in their product line and an SSD version of it would be pointless because they already have the iPod Touch.

Having said that, maybe it is possible to replace the hard drive of the Classic with an SSD. There are probably a few threads on Mac Rumours about this already.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I have iphone 4s iPad and at touch but have always said I love my classic best I love having almost all of music withme especially on long trips hoping they never do away with it

serafko

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
In my experience with a 3rd gen iPod (I think; it was the last monochrome screen click-wheel model), the hard drive was the weakest part that broke down every two years or so of daily use. The hard drives used today are probably more reliable and it is good to have the option of an iPod with comparatively massive storage capacity for lossless libraries. From Apple's point of view, the current iPod Classic would fill that gap in their product line and an SSD version of it would be pointless because they already have the iPod Touch.

Having said that, maybe it is possible to replace the hard drive of the Classic with an SSD. There are probably a few threads on Mac Rumours about this already.

Link to a thread about IPOD and SSD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
My Classic just died last month and despite my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro, just like you said, I walked right to the apple store and replaced it. It was so nice to be able to do that. I still marvel at the iPod Classic every time I use it.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I've had my 80GB classic iPod for years now as del and since getting my new Chevy Cruze a few months back it stays in the car now. It was great on a road trip to Key West, I made a long playlist and had iTunes randomize the songs and plugged it into the jack in the car and we listened to music for 8 straight hours with no two songs repeating. It was great and my travel companions loved it.

I waited until I found a great deal, got my 80gb iPod video today...I love it so far...I bought so when my gti gets here, I'll have my whole music library in the car without having to curse myself for not putting certain music on it (ex. My 16gb nano)

Sylent Syd

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Kitchener, Ont
I've wanted a Classic for a long time, and am really excited to finally be getting one. (I'd earned enough reward points through my CC company to redeem a free one).

I currently have an 8GB iPod Touch, which I've had for over two years. Unfortunately it's not iCloud compatible, so deciding what songs I want to axe in favour of newer songs is a painstaking process. So the 160GB will do the trick for me.

And I'm also of the mindset that it'll be discontinued sooner than later, and that makes me want one even more! :cool:

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Hello everyone,

it's been ages since I last started a thread here but I just had to express somewhere that I think my new classic (which is hardly new in reality as it hasn't changed since 09!) is absolutely brilliant.

So I am sitting here, typing this post on my iPad, my iPhone in my pocket, MacBook on the coffee table and mac pro in the office, but am waxing lyrical over what many would deem the most boring bit of apple tech I own.

Why do I like it so much... Because I had forgotten just how wonderful it is to have all my songs in my pocket again.

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it. But what I truly enjoy is humming a random tune, reaching in my pocket, and being able to listen to it right away.

I know this post may sound totally useless, and in a way it is. But to all those who like their classic iPod, please just jot a reply below, in the hope that when our current classics die, we will be able to walk straight back into an apple store to buy another.:)

With iTunes Match, your iOS devices will have access to your entire library. After I started using iTunes Match, I stopped using my iPods. I am an iPod collector, but I don't use them very much for music anymore, they have become more of a decoration. I am looking to buy an new iPod Classic as the newest iPod I added to my collection was a 5G Classic. I really hope Apple does not kill the Classic. I believe it is the only true iPod. The Nano is cute, but does not hold enough music, and the shuffle is just a joke.

Flake

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
my current dream device is an iPod classic but perhaps slightly thinner with flash storage and higher resolution screen. most important is the click wheel though. the clicker on my old 2g nano is broken and it makes me very sad. I'm going to keep a click wheel for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.