Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I really want a leather Smart Cover but don't want to cough up $70 for one when I already have a PU one from last year. Exploring my options, I'm wondering if any 3rd parties make good Smart Covers.

The reviews for the Miniot wood Smart Cover are pretty terrible despite it looking beautiful. I think it's important for the 3rd party to use a lot of magnets like Apple does on theirs.

So any suggestions on alternative Smart Covers?

Hosei

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
NY, NY
I have purchased a used apple smart cover from ebay, it was leather and i got it for around 30 dollars.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Was it used or new? I can't tell which sellers are selling original Apple covers or fake ones.

That's my problem with looking at the ones on eBay and Amazon (though, it looks like most the ones on Amazon are fakes).

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I wouldn't take a chance with ebay, could end up with a fake. I'm surprised there aren't some good third-party smart covers, seems pretty simple. Same thing with iPhone bumpers. Everyone rags on apple for these overpriced accessories, but all the third-party versions are much lower quality.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I might try Craigslist. Maybe I can get a good deal off of someone who is trying to bundle their iPad 2 with one but failing to get a buyer. I kinda want a new one though... Amazon also has some Smart Covers on sale.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
I'm in precisely the same boat (have PU, upgrading iPads and want to go leather, don't want to pay $70). I'd also like some kind of embossed or embroidered leather or some more interesting design than vertical stripes on the creases.

I've used a carbon fiber rear skin on my iPad 2 for around a year and it's been terrific, I'd actually love a carbon fiber smart cover and rear sticker, but not for $90! I'd be willing to pay up around $70-80 for a really high-quality, classy cover. There are plenty of iPad cases that fit the descriptions, but they're all full-body, I want a classy, high-quality leather 'smart cover'.

ejisfun

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Was it used or new? I can't tell which sellers are selling original Apple covers or fake ones.

It was a used genuine apple one. When looking at them, look for listings by non-corporate sellers (i.e. listings that just say like "bought this back in december, don't use it anymore") as they are less likely to be fake.

Mine has the whole "designed by apple in California" thing on it as well as a serial, so I'm pretty sure it's real.

abulldog

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
I'm in precisely the same boat (have PU, upgrading iPads and want to go leather, don't want to pay $70). I'd also like some kind of embossed or embroidered leather or some more interesting design than vertical stripes on the creases.

I've used a carbon fiber rear skin on my iPad 2 for around a year and it's been terrific, I'd actually love a carbon fiber smart cover and rear sticker, but not for $90! I'd be willing to pay up around $70-80 for a really high-quality, classy cover. There are plenty of iPad cases that fit the descriptions, but they're all full-body, I want a classy, high-quality leather 'smart cover'.

iCarbons makes a carbon fiber skin for the polyurethane Apple smart cover in Red, Black and White Carbon Fiber. They also make Carbon Fiber skins for the back and front bezel. I've been debating getting one of those myself.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
damn that carbon fiber one is veryyyyyyy tempting. I like the cf look from Marware but will have to think about this.
I wouldn't want a real carbon fiber material anywhere near my ipad. Carbon fiber edges are very abrasive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.