Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Hello,

I want to backup my sms, update iOS and restore only SMS back to iphone. Is possible to do it without jailbreak? I hope, there is some way..

Thank you

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Hello,

I want to backup my sms, update iOS and restore only SMS back to iphone. Is possible to do it without jailbreak? I hope, there is some way..

Thank you

Updating through the phone itself ( assuming 5.0.1 --> 5.1 ) should retain all SMS messages you had before the update.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
When iTunes backs up your phone, it includes all your SMSs. So if you do a restore, they'll come back.

Unless I didn't fully understand your question...

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
It's simple. I want to make clean install of iOS 5.1 and I want to add my sms messages there.

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
Not with iCopy Bot but with iBackup Bot...
In order you have to:
1. With iBackup Bot, export the sms data from your old cluttered iTunes backup.
2. Set up the iPhone as new, then create a fresh new backup within iTunes (not iCloud at the moment)
3. With iBackup Bot, re-import the sms data to the new backup.
4. Restore the new backup to the iPhone, then you can make an iCloud backup.
5. Ta-da! you have a clean iPhone with only your sms history in it.

;)

mwmw

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Backuptrans and iCopyBot are both paid programmes.

Is anyone aware of a free way to restore ONLY the SMS messages from a backup (or to backup the SMS messages on their own and restore them)?

The reason I ask is my 3GS running 5.1.1 doesn't run smoothly at all. Whenever I upgrade or restore my iPhone and then restore the backup to it, it runs very poorly. I want to do a clean iOS 5 install on my iPhone but I also want all of my SMS messages on it. The other content can be replaced.

Thanks

pittytunk

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
When iTunes backs up your phone, it includes all your SMSs. So if you do a restore, they'll come back.

Unless I didn't fully understand your question...

iTunes can do it. And if you synced to iCloud before, you can restore the photos from iCloud as well, maybe as well as sms, i think.

Eonrike

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
iTunes can do it. And if you synced to iCloud before, you can restore the photos from iCloud as well, maybe as well as sms, i think.

Restore SMS only from backup is not supported. You need to restore the whole backup.

iphone01ninja

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
iTunes is capable of doing a full restore. Recover SMS only is not supported by itunes. If you back up iPhone yet, there are certain data recovery programs which can recover specific data separately,like sms, contatcs, photo, etc...

However, almost all of them are commercial licensed programs.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.