Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Launch Safari (the old version or this new one).
Start private browsing.
Go to google images.
Search for anything (e.g. "home").
Scroll down the page. Can you still see search results?

On my system (black macbook running 10.6.8), it only returns about 15 images (what is viewable on my screen before scrolling). As well, the settings and safety button up top don't respond to clicks.

I had this problem with 5.1.2 and it seems 5.1.4 hasn't fixed it.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Im just waiting for the day when Safari on the Mac is the same as Safari on the iPad/iPhone.. I still don't get why this isn't possible. These mobile devices should be powerful enough by now to run it.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Safari has been garbage, I have had nothing but problems and headaches with it.

I love Apple products, but I also love whatever works best. For me, Chrome has been the fastest through experience. If Safari ever surpasses Chrome, I will go back.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
Safari has been garbage, I have had nothing but problems and headaches with it.

I love Apple products, but I also love whatever works best. For me, Chrome has been the fastest through experience. If Safari ever surpasses Chrome, I will go back.

same here. I used Safari since it was released almost a decade ago. But its really showing it age. And over the past 2 years it has really gotten bad, especially with slowdowns. Open more than 3 or 4 tabs and it crawls to a halt.

I switched to Chrome and never looked back.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
That's new. Usually Safari updates have an update to Webkit which is used by the entire system, hence the restart requirement. Maybe this is a Safari specific update that doesn't affect Webkit?

Given the JavaScript performance increase, I'd imagine it would update WebKit.

I've been getting the white page bug a lot - I use 5 tabs and multiple windows sometimes (usually a second Safari window for Facebook when I'm using the chat, and the original Safari window for browsing tabs).

Hopefully less beach balls too - I've had a stuttery beach ball when a website doesn't even have a single Flash element on it.

Had this issue aswell. Switched to FireFox and now all is well! Its a real shame because I used to really champion Safari to new Mac users but its all become spinny beachbally horibbly no funny to useey anymorey.:)

----------

I think that feature will be added with Mountain Lion.

Yep the omnibar feature will be in ML. In fact for all those on the beta its available.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
same here. I used Safari since it was released almost a decade ago. But its really showing it age. And over the past 2 years it has really gotten bad, especially with slowdowns. Open more than 3 or 4 tabs and it crawls to a halt.

I switched to Chrome and never looked back.

It's cool man, I get down ranked by people who live and die by Apple. I do believe they make the best in almost every area in technology, but they're not perfect by any means.

For example, if Android got way better than iOS and Apple started making bad products, why would I want to use something inferior?

Of course that is not the case right now. I welcome all technology and like I said, I think Apple makes some of the best products to date. But sadly, safari is not currently one of them.

DOWNRANK!!!

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
For example, if Android got way better than iOS and Apple started making bad products, why would I want to use something inferior?

Of course that is not the case right now. I welcome all technology and like I said, I think Apple makes some of the best products to date. But sadly, safari is not currently one of them.

DOWNRANK!!!

Personally, I like Safari a lot. Every once in a while I try out another browser for a bit, but I always go back to Safari. For me it's faster and more reliable. Just my opinion here though.

If Apple started making bad products, there are many people who would stop buying them, but that's irrelevant. That would apply to any company.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
MacRumors said:
- Fix an issue that could cause some data to be left behind after pressing the "Remove All Website Data" button

I wish Chrome would fix this issue aswell. Damn bug that has existed for several years and make the browser unworkable

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I was annoyed by cookies not being available after Private Browsing. I'm glad it's fixed, sent feedback about it :)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Honestly never had a problem with Safari. I'd like Apple to put some effort into their Extensions page though. It never seems to change.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I'd like to be able to get through clips online without having more stuttering than clip. Firefox often works better but Safari stu-stu-ttt-te--er-ers

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Everyone and his dog is leaving his browser choice here, so I'll do too - but I'll qualify why, in case anyone can share any interesting datapoint.

I have been switching browsers every few months. Lately I am back to Webkit nightlies. It is the one which bests uses memory - meaning, it will scale back (or rather let itself be paged out) when not being in active use.

All of Webkit, Firefox and Chrome are nasty memory hogs, but Webkit is the best behaved in that sense. Firefox was the worst but has improved a lot (at least no longers gets to 3 GB VRAM) and with the MemShrink project they seem to be getting to a very interesting point. Still, as of 2 months ago it still caused a lot of paging even when not in use.

Chrome had its moment in the sun, but the last time I used it for long (some 6 months ago) it was unusably slow because of all the paging it caused; I had to wait tens of seconds to just open a new tab. All the hubbub about separate processes finally looks like only made it difficult to really gauge where the awful lot of memory was going.

I am referring to Chrome Devel channel, Firefox betas and Webkit nightlies, on OS X Lion, 4 GB RAM, i7 quad, traditional HD. My usage usually floats around 150 tabs with a healthy number of extensions and ad/flash/tracking blockers.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Personally, I like Safari a lot. Every once in a while I try out another browser for a bit, but I always go back to Safari. For me it's faster and more reliable. Just my opinion here though.

If Apple started making bad products, there are many people who would stop buying them, but that's irrelevant. That would apply to any company.

That's fine if you like it better, I am not trying to sway anyone to Chrome. All that I'm saying is that for years I have experienced problems with Safari. Chrome has been rock solid for me. But if it works for you, even better!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.