Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I'm pissed! I had to buy a new iPhone because my old one got damaged. So the new one had 3.1.3 with the new bootrom so I'm stuck with a plain iPhone. Now I go to download apps from the AppStore and I can't even do that without a credit card on file. The apps I'm trying to download are free so I don't understand why I would have to have a card on file. My question to you guys is...is there a way around not having to put a card on file to download free apps?

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
go into itunes, try downloading a free app from the app store, when prompted for you itunes account, create a new one, an option for "no payment" will appear. Use that account on the iPhone or iTunes to download free apps

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
go into itunes, try downloading a free app from the app store, when prompted for you itunes account, create a new one, an option for "no payment" will appear. Use that account on the iPhone or iTunes to download free apps

I did it and still no luck. It still asks me for a credit card!....this must be a new thing

Reactions: Foo3Fighter9

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I did it and still no luck. It still asks me for a credit card!....this must be a new thing

I think you need a credit card to open an iTunes account but once the account is created you can remove the credit card.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I think you need a credit card to open an iTunes account but once the account is created you can remove the credit card.

Once I remove the credit card I'm not able to download apps. Even free apps. My GF doesn't have this problem. Actually I asked a few people and they don't have cards on file but they can still download apps....BTW this just started happening yesterday. I've had the new iPhone since Saturday and I downloaded a few free apps. Now I'm not able to.

Reactions: Foo3Fighter9

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Once I remove the credit card I'm not able to download apps. Even free apps. My GF doesn't have this problem. Actually I asked a few people and they don't have cards on file but they can still download apps....BTW this just started happening yesterday. I've had the new iPhone since Saturday and I downloaded a few free apps. Now I'm not able to.

It must just be you they're picking on then. That's just not fair.

windowman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
Why cant you log into your old account?
Mine is setup with no cc card and is jailbroken.

I'm pissed! I had to buy a new iPhone because my old one got damaged. So the new one had 3.1.3 with the new bootrom so I'm stuck with a plain iPhone. Now I go to download apps from the AppStore and I can't even do that without a credit card on file. The apps I'm trying to download are free so I don't understand why I would have to have a card on file. My question to you guys is...is there a way around not having to put a card on file to download free apps?

nrmillions

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
Boston, MA
i didnt use a credit card for mine. what i did is bought a $15 itunes giftcard and opened my itunes account with that. apple will let you use either a credit card or giftcard. then i could buy apps with it and you can buy unlimited free apps too. if you run out of credit it will still let you buy as many free apps as you want but if you try to buy something for more credit than you have left then u just get another giftcard and load it into your account.

browncatt

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
Why is my iTunes account asking for credit card?

I've got an iPad. I've got an iTunes account set up months ago. Successfully set up account with gift card, bought multiple apps and downloaded multiple free app. Haven't used the account for a month. Just added more credit via gift cards, always had credit on account. Just tried to download two free apps both times I was asked for my credit card details and couldn't download these apps. What has changed and why when I have credit? :mad:

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Did Apple's policy recently change? I want to download a free app.. when I go create an account, there is no 'None' option to the right of PayPal like in the screen shot of apple's KB article.

iHate Appstore

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Keep this thread open. I just got a new iPad2 and run into this problem. You can create AppStore account with no credit card, but it takes time to figure it out. Apple makes it deliberately difficult for you. I don't think they have legal right to take cc information without purchase, therefore they try to trick people into it. A consumer protection agency should start bugging Apple abut this. Probably there is some conspiracy behind it and they resell cc data or they use it to track people, otherwise why bother collecting this data form those who have no intention to buy anything?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Probably there is some conspiracy behind it and they resell cc data or they use it to track people, otherwise why bother collecting this data form those who have no intention to buy anything?

It's not about 'tracking' people (whatever the hell that means), it's about encouraging people to pump money in to the App Store.

It's simple. If you make people give their payment details up front, they are much more likely to make purchases. How the hell you can turn that in to a "conspiracy", I honestly have no idea.

For example, a user who only intends to buy free apps with no CC on file finds hears about a great app for $0.99. Chances are, they'll get a 'lite' version, skip it altogether or decide to buy it. But they can't buy it straight away. Chances are they'll forget or end up buying it at a later time when the price has dropped, so Apple and the developer end up earning less.

vinnieiMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
How to Get The None Option in App Store or iTunes Store

Hello to everybody,
I know how terrible is this problem with the none option!!!
I like to make the people happy, i am here to help You!!!!
So today You will forget all this problems!
Here is the trick, i got the Non option it for every single time.
How?
First don't open any account...
The thing is works for all Stores:
App Store, iTunes Store, maybe (iBook store didn't try it)
1.So first go in the App Store( ForMac's) or iTunes for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.
2.Look for Your free app.
3.Push the knob install, open for You create new Apple ID
4.Creat new Apple ID
5.The Store doesn't matter Us, Uk etc, its works!!!
6.Next, agree with conditions
7.Your email, password, Your special question and answer, fill everything and click next
8.Now You see the None option!!!
Congratulations!!!

trinilopez99

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
The "None" option is only available when creating a new account. If you begin the process of creating a new account, and don't choose "none" at the point, you cannot go back and switch it. So delete the old account, or just start a new one with a different email address, and you will see the "none" option. This is true both in iTunes and through the iPhone.

David Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
apperntly solutions don't always work

Here is your solution. Follow those steps and that's it.

I tried to do this and it went all the way to about step 12 after which it told me to contact itunes support. I even had the none option lit up and everything. Apple doesn't like making things easy apparently.

Alpa Chino

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Hello, Everyone

I had the same problem as everyone here. I just got the Iphone 5, which was a major dissapointment. So I was trying to download a free app on my exsisting account and got the message of requiring CC info. I went on Itunes only to find out I dont have the "none" option. So I got back on my Iphone tried to download the app again followed the instructions in the prompts and when I got to the payment screen I saw the "none" option. I clicked none and it said red fiels must be filled so I was stumped until I realized that it was asking me to enter a title i.e. Mr., Miss, ...
So I clicked on Mr. and hit submit and PRESTO problem solved.
I really hope this helps someone out.
:)

antonrico

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
I know from personal experience that if you have CC on file and attempt to purchase a paid app but yor card is denied for whatever reason, you will then be required to update it before you can download any apps (paid/free). I know that, that really doesn't answer your question. I just figured I could let you and others know that that's one way to cause that problem?

Last edited:

Lakieshasease

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Hello,
I Was Having This Problem Too, Even When The Apps Was Free They Were Still Asking For Credit/ Debit Card! So I Decided To Take A Closer Look At What They Was Askin For. When I Looked At The 'Required Fields' Alot Was Already Filled In Including A Card Number So Then I Read The Message At The Top Again, Apparently They Didn't Recognize My Phone So I Had To VERIFY My Card Info! Lol All The Aggarvation I Went Through For Nothing ### Hope This Helps

BennyLuv21

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Why can't I down load free games in my App Store without a credit card. It's never done this before

Chrisallan

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
I had this problem but all you need to do is go into settings, click on ICLOUD, then click on ACCOUNT, then go onto PAYMENT INFORMATION, then where it asks what type of card you are using e.g. Visa, MasterCard, Amex ext. choose NONE then click done and you will be able to download free apps. Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.