Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
I was referring to now about the power7 chips..

Does IBM currently have the production capability to keep Apple in chips along with it's other commitments?

I believe IBM has all the production capability in the world if they choose to have. Almost 500.000 employees and 200 billion market cap with no bubbles in their stock. Been around since 1888 and they sure aren't leaving the business :) Not even Lehman Brothers catastrophe did not drop their stock value at all. Strong, strong company.

But I think Apple will stick with X86 because it makes Apple computers Windows combatible too.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I believe IBM has all the production capability in the world if they choose to have. Almost 500.000 employees and 200 billion market cap with no bubbles in their stock. Been around since 1888 and they sure aren't leaving the business :) Not even Lehman Brothers catastrophe did not drop their stock value at all. Strong, strong company.

But I think Apple will stick with X86 because it makes Apple computers Windows combatible too.

Exactly. Apple could quite easily switch back to PPC anytime they wanted, and I'd bet IBM would be more than happy to have them back, but the advantage of natively running Windows is too big to do it. You'd either have to go back to dealing with emulation, or buy a PC. Apple isn't stupid, they'd much rather you spend your money on a Mac only, and be able to run both OS's instead of maybe cheaping out on their hardware a bit to afford another PC.

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
Exactly. Apple could quite easily switch back to PPC anytime they wanted, and I'd bet IBM would be more than happy to have them back, but the advantage of natively running Windows is too big to do it. You'd either have to go back to dealing with emulation, or buy a PC. Apple isn't stupid, they'd much rather you spend your money on a Mac only, and be able to run both OS's instead of maybe cheaping out on their hardware a bit to afford another PC.

In my Perfect Wold (tm)

- Macbooks with 8-core ARM cpu with thunderbolt external GPU power and 24hr battery life and antiglare retina displays

- MacPros with IBM Power8 cpus with 128 threads, most powerful desktop computer in the world (again)

- OS XI x86 (retail hackintosh) for 99 dollars and 99% combatible with post year 2006 PC:s that would eat nicely Windows market shares :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

I understand all this, especially as an IBM shareholder. Last I recall IBM sells all the chips they make. I just don't know if they have the immediate capacity to take Apple as a client. I'm sure given a year or two it wouldn't be an issue.

----------

But I believe Windows 8 will run on more than x86.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I understand all this, especially as an IBM shareholder. Last I recall IBM sells all the chips they make. I just don't know if they have the immediate capacity to take Apple as a client. I'm sure given a year or two it wouldn't be an issue.

----------

But I believe Windows 8 will run on more than x86.

I've heard there will be an ARM version, but I've heard nothing about PPC. There's not a whole lot of consumer OS's that do these days.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I've heard there will be an ARM version, but I've heard nothing about PPC. There's not a whole lot of consumer OS's that do these days.

I'd heard ARM also.

Windows 8 is written for two architectures leopard was written for two also. When Windows 9 and 10.10 rolls around it might just need to be ARM and Power.

None of this stuff is really realistic, but I also don't know what benefit PowerPC has over x86 even for the workstation/server market especially for Apple.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Exactly. Apple could quite easily switch back to PPC anytime they wanted, and I'd bet IBM would be more than happy to have them back, but the advantage of natively running Windows is too big to do it.

Or have a PPC chip alongside an Intel, a bit like the old "DOS compatible" Quadras :p

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
And the last ppc Mac was made how long ago?
Exactly. Apple supported PPC (somewhat still does) for as long as the Intel transition lasted. They get a small bad rap because OS X is being compared to Microsoft still supporting some really old legacy stuff in Windows. However, that's to the detriment to Windows and most users who have moved on.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Have you tried CorePlayer yet? I bought it a while ago because it was the only way I could play HD animes on my Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz. It's $20 but I encourage any PPC user to buy it because it does miracles compared to VLC or quicktime. Maybe if enough PPC users buy it, they will still support us on the next update?...

I haven't tried CorePlayer. Though I bet at some point in the pastish I have read about it but never gave it much thought. Until know. Thanks.

pistooli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
I haven't tried CorePlayer. Though I bet at some point in the pastish I have read about it but never gave it much thought. Until know. Thanks.

While the thread went slightly off topic :)

I also did buy CorePlayer just recetly. I does indeed play 720p content almost without dropped frames on my iBook. Which is nice.

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
USA
our beloved ppc is not completely forgotten by Apple. :)

the new iTunes 10.6 is available via Software Update

I just did a clean install of Leopard onto a Titanium PowerBook G4 and Software Update has not offered any updates for iTunes. We still have iTunes 7.x.
Makes me winde if SU missed any other important stuff...

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Could this

I just did a clean install of Leopard onto a Titanium PowerBook G4 and Software Update has not offered any updates for iTunes. We still have iTunes 7.x.
Makes me winde if SU missed any other important stuff...

be related to this?

Macintosh Hardware

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor and 512MB of RAM
To play Standard Definition video from the iTunes Store, a 1.0GHz PowerPC G4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM is required
To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 1GB of RAM is required
To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required
Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work
Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work

Macintosh Software

Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later
Safari 4.0.3 or later
200MB of available disk space
iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match availability may vary by country

RGDS,
Pekka

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
USA
Unless I am confused, the Titanium G4 PwerBook meets the requirements.
It is a 1Ghz PPC G4 with 1GB RAM and several gigs of free space. It has 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0.6

It seems like Software Update has missed iTune and perhaps some other stuff.
Any ideas on how to get this fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.